PDA

View Full Version : DX-1 Active Crossover's

pasadena
04-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Does anyone have any information/pictures on the active JBL DX-1 crossover kits for use on the XPL-200 speakers?

Look forward to your reply.

rgrjit8
04-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Well as a matter of fact.
Here is the email answer from the parts department.
I never got around to ordering mine and probably never will.

Note email address: [email protected]

Subject: RE: DX-1 crossover
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:50:40 -0500

Thank you for your inquiry about the availability of one of our parts.

The part is available:

The Part # is: dx-1
The price is $193.00 , including shipping and handling.
Please add tax if you live in New York State (8.5%), California.
(8.00
%), Florida (6%), or Arizona (8.10%)

You can order the part in 3 ways:
1. by sending us a return email with your credit card information. (
We
would need the type of credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Amex) the
credit
card # ,expiration date, your name, shipping address, and telephone #.
)

2. by faxing this email and your credit card information to Fax #
516-682-3561. (Again we would need the type of credit card (Visa,
Mastercard or Amex) the credit card # , your name, shipping address,
and
telephone #. )

3. Or by sending a certified check or money order (payable to Harman
Consumer Group) to:
The Harman Consumer Group
250 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, New York, 11797

Please allow 7-10 business days for shipping
Thanks again for your e-mail, and please let us know if you have any
other
questions.

> Sincerely,
>
> Domenick
> Parts Department
> PS: If replying to this email, please include all previous
correspondence.
It is the only way we can get the full picture. Thank you!!!
>

4313B
04-23-2003, 08:09 AM
DX-1 Owner's Manual

4313B
04-23-2003, 08:10 AM
DX-1 Schematic

rgrjit8
04-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Good job Giskard. But I can't view it. My computer says that it is not able to process it. It's the Korean language programming on top of my essential non geek status.

Can you tell me:
Is the DX 1 basically like the BX 63?
Does it have a wall wart power suppy?
Are there any controls such as output level or defeat?

Thanks in advance.

pasadena
04-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
DX-1 Schematic

BEing from Australia, would these crossovers be easily converted to 240V as I noticed in the schematic it was made for 110v?

Cheers
Mark

4313B
04-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by rgrjit8
Good job Giskard. But I can't view it. My computer says that it is not able to process it. It's the Korean language programming on top of my essential non geek status.

Can you tell me:
Is the DX 1 basically like the BX 63?
Does it have a wall wart power suppy?
Are there any controls such as output level or defeat?

Thanks in advance.

I opened the OM pdf and noticed the journalists aren't embedded, ooops, I mean the graphics aren't embedded in the document.

There are only two user-accessible controls. Power switch and low frequency level control. Looking at the schematic it's basically a 5234/5235 style network that uses crossover cards. One pair of stereo inputs, one pair of stereo HF outputs and two sets of stereo LF outputs, one of which allows for bridging/strapping power amps. Power supply is built in.

4313B
04-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by pasadena
BEing from Australia, would these crossovers be easily converted to 240V as I noticed in the schematic it was made for 110v?

Cheers
Mark

Sure, any service center down under should be able to set it up for 240 in a couple of minutes.

pasadena
04-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Sure, any service center down under should be able to set it up for 240 in a couple of minutes.

I sent convoy Australia and e-mail about getting the DX-1's in, so I'll see if the actually send a 240V version ready made!!!

Thanks for your info!

Is there a pic of this unit anywhere?

pasadena
04-23-2003, 10:48 AM
I opened the OM pdf and noticed the journalists aren't embedded, ooops, I mean the graphics aren't embedded in the document.

There are only two user-accessible controls. Power switch and low frequency level control. Looking at the schematic it's basically a 5234/5235 style network that uses crossover cards. One pair of stereo inputs, one pair of stereo HF outputs and two sets of stereo LF outputs, one of which allows for bridging/strapping power amps. Power supply is built in.

Giskard, is it true that there is another copy of the scematic floating around that is not the real DX-1?

4313B
04-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by pasadena
Giskard, is it true that there is another copy of the scematic floating around that is not the real DX-1?

I have no idea.

Don McRitchie
04-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Is there a pic of this unit anywhere?

I can show you a picture of the box its shipped in!!! That's pretty exciting isn't it?

I have yet to come accross a picture of this x-over, but the box should at least give indication of its physical size.

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/misc/2001-tour/timbers.jpg

pasadena
04-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Don McRitchie
I can show you a picture of the box!!! That's pretty exciting isn't it?

I have yet to come accross a picture of this x-over, but the box should at least give indication of its physical size.

Don,

As far as you're concerned, this particualr dx-1 has been dsigned for the XPL-200's?

Don McRitchie
04-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Those DX-1's were designed for the XPL200. JBL's current litterature states that there is a DX1 for the k2-S9800. To be honest, I don't know what that is.

Around six months ago, I stirred up our forum by posting that picture in response to someone looking for a DX-1 like you. This caused a number of people to contact Harman Consumer looking to buy them. After initial denials about the unit's existance, a couple of people reported that Harman did make them available for sale. I never did hear from anyone who actually bought a unit so I have no idea whether they were left over stock from the XPL days or a new unit for the S9800.

The units in the previous picture are definitely not for sale. This is a picture I took in 2001 of Greg Timbers in the Harman Consumer Engineering Lab. Last month, I asked him about the units since they had caused such a stir on our site. He stated that they are used strictly for development. He thought there were about seven units left when we took the original picture, but they are currently down to three. They tend to dissapear at the conclusion of each project.

pasadena
04-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Don,

Since I initiated this thread, how about pulling some strings for me and get a couple of DX-1's put aside for me to order ;)

Don McRitchie
04-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Don, ask Greg to get the goofy look off his face and turn around and get one of those DX-1's off the shelf.

The goofy look is totally due to my digital camera. With its proprietarty DORKIFY™ image processing, it turns just about anyone into a goofball.

Actually it is a result of the camera's use of a "preflash" to determine correct flash exposure. This inital flash seems to ensure that people's eyes are at best half closed, and at worst, fully closed when the exposure is taken. You should see what this shot looks like at its original resolution of 2600 x 2000, with Greg's face filling up 19" monitor.

As to taking a unit off the shelf, see above.

Robh3606
04-24-2003, 10:04 AM
If you go through the XPL series brochure they have one in one of the photo's. Can't see to much.

Rob:)

pasadena
04-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Don,

I have read from review on the internet about the DX-1 crossovers for the XPL 200's that the crossovers in the two versions (The USA version is black lacquer while the european version is walnut) are completely different and they do not sound the same.

The USA version is designed to be placed close to a wall while the european version is designed to sit in the middle of a room. The crossovers can be modified to either standard.

Can you or someone with knowledge of this can verify this?

Cheers
Mark