PDA

View Full Version : My first JBL's.

jackgiff
02-17-2005, 02:26 PM
After lurking here awhile, I jumped onto the JBL bandwagon. I bought a pair of 4312's on E-Bay, and learned my lesson all over again. Don't buy speakers from someone who doesn't know how to pack them. Wrapped in newspaper and boxed just doesn't get it done. Fortunately, there was only one mashed corner, a front one of course. But it is fixable. Even with the grunged corner, they sound fantastic. I am planning to buy Audiobeers pair of 4412's as well, and will now have to split my loyalty between Altec Lansing, Trusonic, and JBL. Thank you, James B. Lansing

Jack Gifford

Titanium Dome
02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Hey Jack, good for you. Around here it's usually "in for a penny, in for a pound," so we'll be delighted to see your acquisitions grow. :bouncy:

Steve Gonzales
02-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I heard sometime back that they confirmed that those were indeed the names of the Three Wise Men ;)

jackgiff
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
All three companies had ties to James B. I read that Stephens began his career as a draftsman working for Lansing Manufacturing. Don't know if that is true or not, but it makes an awfully believable story.

evans224
02-18-2005, 04:43 PM
You guys are killin' me- I too have been bitten by the JBL bug. I think my pound is in. I picked up a pair of 4311A's (cabinet is marked 4311WX-A, whatever that is) locally for a fair price,with only one mashed side that's going to be a bit hard to repair.The other cabinet is in very good condition, except for the spider webs on the grills! This guy didn't know what model of 4311's he had, so I checked them out. These have the LE5-2 midrange, LE-25 tweeter,and 4213 woofer. One of the tweeter cones is just a slight bit wrinkled, and of course the foam around them is shot. But I just couldn't help myself, they looked so negelected I had to bring them home!

evans224
02-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Steve, any ideas?

Steve Gonzales
02-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Funny, I was just looking at the picture and said to myself "I could fix that" and noticed the text. I would get some 1X2 and cut a 10" piece and a 1" piece and get a good C clamp. Put the 10" piece on the outside of the enclosure and the 1" on the inside of the baffle side. Take the clamp amd center it in the middle of the break and use it like a vise. You would have to adjust the 1" block in lenth and position to suite this unique break. I've attached a drawing (sorry, I'm no artist) that gives you an idea of what to do. Go slowly and pay attention to size of the short block to make sure that the whole thing moves at the same time back into place. You've got my # if I haven't conveyed it clearly enough. If the 10" piece flexes at all when put under pressure, change it the a 2X4 or a piece of good hard wood so all the pressure is transfered to the small inner block. Good Luck. When you get it back into place, use the same products we talked about for the L150 resto. It should look really good. If you need help with the grills, I've got a great way to redo them too. TTYL, Steve

Titanium Dome
02-18-2005, 09:24 PM
That looks like the master plan for a diabolical mammogram. Makes my eyes red just thinking about it.

:jawdrop: Yikes!