PDA

View Full Version : Yellow horns

caladois
02-17-2005, 11:05 AM
What a curious color. I found this system on the net ? I love 2360a ? But here I can not !!!

Regards from France Stephane

Bernard Wolf
02-17-2005, 11:27 AM
If those are CD lenses are they not facing the wrong way ?

Mr. Widget
02-17-2005, 01:21 PM
If those are CD lenses are they not facing the wrong way ?

To misquote Giskard, "They should be pointed away from the listening position." ;)

Widget

Bernard Wolf
02-17-2005, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget]To misquote Giskard, "They should be pointed away from the listening position." ;)

Well, I'm not sure I get that Mr.Wiget.. are you being funny or what ? Cause, as far as know, that is not correct... .unless of course there is something I don't know :blink:?? Which is highly possible these days!

Bernard

johnaec
02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
If those are CD lenses are they not facing the wrong way ?If you mean the vertical slots in the yellow horns then they are in fact positioned correctly, just like the 2405/077 slot radiators.

John

Mr. Widget
02-17-2005, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget]To misquote Giskard, "They should be pointed away from the listening position." ;)

Well, I'm not sure I get that Mr.Wiget.. are you being funny or what ? Cause, as far as know, that is not correct... .unless of course there is something I don't know :blink:?? Which is highly possible these days!

Bernard

Yes it was an attempt at humor. :D I wouldn't want to look at those horns.

As far as orientation, yes as John pointed out, the slot should be vertical as in the 2344 (4430/4435).

Widget

Bernard Wolf
02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=johnaec]If you mean the vertical slots in the yellow horns then they are in fact positioned correctly, just like the 2405/077 slot radiators.

No, what I meant is that if they are a Constant Directivity horn then they should 'fire' towards the listening position ala the Everest or the S/3100/2600. That flair is asymmetrical, in case you didn't notice. What did you think.. they should be aimed at the ceiling maybe :biting: ???

Bernard

Mr. Widget
02-17-2005, 03:00 PM
They could be toed in a bit. I wouldn't want to use them in such a small room anyway. They really are meant for 1000 seat theaters.

Widget

Bernard Wolf
02-17-2005, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget]They could be toed in a bit. I wouldn't want to use them in such a small room anyway. They really are meant for 1000 seat theaters.

I hope you guys are being obtuse just for fun...:(.. what I mean is this : Exchange the right horn for the left and vis versa and you will have what I believe to be the proper set-up.. nes pa?

Bernard

Hofmannhp
02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=Bernard Wolf......what I mean is this : Exchange the right horn for the left and vis versa ......
Bernard[/QUOTE]

Hi Bernhard,

I understand now what you mean........the horns are symetrical in reality.....only the picture or the sight shows some non linearity.....

HP

Bernard Wolf
02-17-2005, 04:03 PM
well that did cross my mind but the bass drivers below looked Ok and I do not know that horn, so, there you go.. Sorry for all the confusion from my end guys.. :o: and thanks HP.. I was hopin' someone would get it !

Bernard

caladois
02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
The system is composed of a 15 inch in bass reflex cab, then a JBL 2360A with the 2446 driver and a 2402 tweeter.... That's all I know.

Soorry Guys, but the horns seems to be correctly mounted !!!!!

regars Stephane

Titanium Dome
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
That room looks very bright... and I don't mean because the horns are yellow. Hard walls, hard floors, lots of glass; tall, somewhat narrow room, whew! Maybe the horns are aimed that way for a reason: so as to not strike the listener deaf or even dead.

As for the appearance, we have a word around here: fugly.

The only thing worse looking would be if my picture were on the wall. :barf:

Talk about shiny, reflective surfaces!

Bernard Wolf
02-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Maybe the horns are aimed that way for a reason: so as to not strike the listener deaf or even dead.

!

Thanks.. I needed that LOL.. :applaud:

Mr. Widget
02-17-2005, 05:19 PM
That room looks very bright... and I don't mean because the horns are yellow. Hard walls, hard floors, lots of glass; tall, somewhat narrow room, whew! Maybe the horns are aimed that way for a reason: so as to not strike the listener deaf or even dead.

As for the appearance, we have a word around here: fugly.

The only thing worse looking would be if my picture were on the wall. :barf:

Talk about shiny, reflective surfaces!

...and all this time I thought you were referring to your tweeters!
:applaud: :rotfl: :applaud:

Widget

johnaec
02-17-2005, 06:21 PM
They really are meant for 1000 seat theaters.Speaking of - I went to a Little Feat concert in Santa Rosa Saturday evening in a 750 seat theater and all they had for PA was one Meyer UPA, (12" + horn), on each side, with a couple 15" subs each side - loud and clear... I'd say those yellow horns could cover substantially more than 1000 people!

John

Alex Lancaster
02-17-2005, 09:09 PM
:) The 2360A's are 90° Horiz dispersion, so I donīt think they would cover 1000 people, they would drive 100 pretty crazy tho.

Iīm installing 4 of them at about 15' from my listening position, crazy, loony, but You should see peopleīs faces when they look at them, and they are not even working yet :p.

Mr. Widget
02-17-2005, 09:24 PM
:)
Iīm installing 4 of them at about 15' from my listening position, crazy, loony, but...

But nothing, are you compensating for something? :D:D

Widget

Alex Lancaster
02-18-2005, 02:54 PM
;) Widget:

And I donīt like big butts, I guess Iīm just another impressionist :p .

JBLGUY
02-18-2005, 10:35 PM
I never understand why people go " oh look at the big speakers " " you must be deaf or " or whatever.

Have you never heard of a volume control ?

I use two 2365h horns in my system and they sound awesome.

Believe it or not the big ones go as low in volume as the little one do, if you happen to turn the volume to a similar level. DUH

But what big horns do that dinky smaller horns or lens can't, is actually make for effortless listening at low volumes. Because they project and fill better than smaller horns. My big horns sound so open and room filling even at conversation levels. You never have to search to hear what was just said. They project voice so very well and I find that even regular TV output is always clear and easy to understand. I do not find this with smaller speakers in general, unless of course they are in your face such as near field monitors.

One important point though is they must be matched at exactly the right level with a gain or similar method of bringing then down.

I'll take big fella's over the smaller stuff anyday, because I know where my volume is.

Mr. Widget
02-18-2005, 10:46 PM

I knew my system was missing something! Damn, I should have bought a volume control. :D

Widget

JBLGUY
02-18-2005, 10:52 PM
I think some dudes can't get the big stuff past the wife or landlord.

Sucks to be them

Bernard Wolf
02-19-2005, 06:53 AM
Ditto on the low volume thing.... thats what I love about my S3100, the ability to listen at very low levels in the early morning before going to work - a ritual - and not miss a thing.. all the detail and warmth is there. Great stuff !!

Bernard

Steve Gonzales
02-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself .:applaud:

JBLGUY
02-19-2005, 10:29 AM
In my opinion the best system is one in which it is hard to tell where the sound is coming from...so to speak. I mean I like the wall of sound ....sound. With big horns they seem to couple to the air better. Giving an effortless type of feel to the sound. Easy to listen to because you never strain. I always seem to like the sound of the bigger horns over the little ones. And I have a number of smaller horns that do work well and sound great, but when compared eye for eye, then you hear the differance.

I realize that not everyone has the wife, space, or temperment to put up with the size of these things.

But in my mind Audiophile means NO COMPROMISE in sound. I also won't bow to a WAF. I must have my horns, big and ugly

To my eyes the big ugly stuff is beautiful. I think it's kind of a modern art deco look. Industrial ya that's it. I will admit thought that in other parts of the house fine wood grains are the order of the day.

Not everyone wants stadium horns in their living room. I would . but not everyone.

Go big or go away LOL

:applaud:

johnaec
02-19-2005, 11:05 AM
What's funny is that "pro sound" seems to be going exactly the opposite - more and more output from smaller and smaller enclosures...

John

johnaec
02-19-2005, 05:44 PM
And to clarify, while "pro sound" could be interpreted to mean any professionally presented or listened to music, even in a home, I was generalizing to mean sound presented live on tour in front of large audiences.

John

Titanium Dome
02-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Believe it or not the big ones go as low in volume as the little one do, if you happen to turn the volume to a similar level. DUH

I'll take big fella's over the smaller stuff anyday, because I know where my volume is.

Someone's feeling himself in a big way. :banana:

You GO!! :rotfl:

JBLGUY
02-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Wow boys ...everyone chill and be mellow

I didn't mean that the smaller stuff isn't great too. I said I have a number of smaller speakers and they sound great as well.
Maybe I should have said that for my main listening I prefer the bigger setup's. This is mostly a hobby for me at least. But I appreciate anything that sounds good.
I'm not sure how you guys feel but I tend to be stuck on the last best thing I have heard. If I were to hear something better than what I have now, I know that would set me to thinking and next thing you know I have a new goal. I think this hobby can be a little obsessive, don't you ?

It hard to go backwards once your ears hear something better ! I am lucky and have a room large enough to support these monsters. And I could care less how they look. If they are so ugly they scare people......I like that

They are beautiful to me.

Bernard Wolf
02-20-2005, 05:36 AM
Thats the fun part of this hobby for some - the ability to go mad scientist when the urge striks :screwy:.... boys will be boys...:)

On another note I must applaud...(NOT!)... the the ability to retract what has been said in the past on this forum... were else in life can one do this ?? Comes in kinda handy although it can certainly leave others flapping in the wind !!

Bernard

Titanium Dome
02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
On another note I must applaud...(NOT!)... the the ability to retract what has been said in the past on this forum... were else in life can one do this ?? Comes in kinda handy although it can certainly leave others flapping in the wind !!

Bernard

No kidding. I think I must have missed one or two things. Feels like I stepped out of the room for a minute, and when I got back everyone cleared their throats and looked away.

:moon:

I think most of us would want to take some things back from time to time, though.

johnaec
02-20-2005, 11:35 AM
On another note I must applaud...(NOT!)... the the ability to retract what has been said in the past on this forum... I also agree. At the very least it'd be nice if people just edited their posts instead of completely deleting them, even if the edit is deletion of the stuff in it, so we can at least see where the link gets broken. It's a bummer reading posts that were answers to deleted messages, and you can't make sense of what's going on.

John

4313B
02-20-2005, 11:54 AM
At the very least it'd be nice if people just edited their posts instead of completely deleting them, even if the edit is deletion of the stuff in it, so we can at least see where the link gets broken.Hey! I can do that! :p I simply delete when the point isn't getting across. What I ought to do is simply refrain from getting into these discussions. ;) They are time sponges. :banghead: