PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using 4301 monitor in their home system?

cary
07-15-2003, 07:12 AM
I was wondering if anybody using 4301 monitor in their home system? If so what are you powering it with? How do you like the quality of sound?

Thanks!!!

Alex Lancaster
07-15-2003, 12:37 PM
I have a couple with custom cabinets, larger, to extend the bass, but with original components; I use them in a covered terrace, they are 20+ years old and still sound good with any decent 40W amp, the woofer surrounds are still good, but the foam around the cone had to be replaced, In other words, they sound great if You donīt expect high volume.

JBL Dog
07-15-2003, 03:02 PM
I have a set of 4301BE's for my "garage" PA. The "E" stands for energized because they have a 15 watt amp built into them.

Those little things rock! :rockon1:

I have some Control 5's in my office and the 4301's blow them away! :rockon2:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

Mike Caldwell
07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Hello
I bought a pair of them new when they first came out back when.....!
I ran them with a Crown D60 power amp and they always
sounded great.
You were never going to have earth shaking low end from
such small speakers but they sounded very smooth and open.

Still have the amp but the I sold the speakers to a guy
that I worked with and then he moved to California in the area
of Northridge....so you could say the little 4301's kind of went back home!

Mike Caldwell

boputnam
07-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Hey, cary...

I waited to post, because my 4301's aren't yet in service.

I bought 'em off eBay - they were touted as a "splendiferous" floating cone woofer :rotfl:

See for yourself! http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193

Recognizing the value (cabinets and grills in near-as-new condition), I nabbed 'em for not much over shipping cost, grabbed some re-cone kits, and these (like JBL Dog..) are likely to adorn my shop area - seems we two share quality taste! - once I get to them (their larger brethren 4345's have distracted me :coolness: ).

If you're considering a pair, they are excellent near-field monitors, won't require big amp'ing, but shouldn't be expected to loosen the floorboards...