PDA

View Full Version : eBay ID List

Zilch
02-16-2005, 11:15 AM
The subject has arisen several times. I try to be respectful of other forum members bidding on JBL items, but I don't always know who's who. Perhaps a private forum could be available with a cross-reference list for eBay handles and forum ID's. You'd have to be listed to access it, maybe....

John
02-16-2005, 01:07 PM
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/scratchchin.gif That will never work. Maybe if you post up front on the forum that you really need the item because it is the last piece of a project you require maybe some members will stay out of the running and then again maybe they have been looking forever and a day for the same item. And what about the guys that are looking at something that is almost going for nothing and they figure with the right promotion they could flip it for big bucks. Well that is just my take on it.

Zilch
02-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, it don't NECESSARILY mean stay away. All it means is CONSIDER that one of your pals from here is also bidding on the item.

It'd also be good to be able to tell if a seller is a forum member rather than some kid parting out stolen property, if that matters....

Many members are easily identified, but I doubt anybody'd recognize "colonics*r*us" as being a forumite :D .

4313B
02-16-2005, 01:55 PM
I doubt that anybody'd recognize that "colonics*r*us" is a forumite :D .Well... probably not without a big flashlight...

Zilch
02-16-2005, 01:58 PM
:rotfl:

boputnam
02-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Well... probably not without a big flashlight... Dammit, Giskard!!! :bash:

Titanium Dome
02-17-2005, 01:44 PM
When it becomes evident to me (as it did recently) that a forum member with a specific need is bidding on an item, I consider withholding bids. In a few cases I've knowingly stopped bidding.

Still, I don't want others to know my eBay ID and have them start building relationships around my bidding habits. It is, after all, a freakin' auction.

I'd hate to see our cordial relationships here become tainted by our behavior there.

"Oh yeah, he's the f@^king moron who took those mint drivers away from me, after I PMed him that I was bidding and really needed them." :argue:

"Well, I didn't want to bid because INSANEjblfanaticDestroyer always gets POed when somone outbids him." :bash:

"Yeah, I wanted that set of speakers, but LansingLooney PMed me to please, please, please let him have them because he'd been looking so long, and now the bastard is parting them out at a profit." :die:

So, NO, I'd rather not know, and I'd rather not put our relationships to that kind of test. If someone really wants something, just post it here and let the members decide in their own hearts what to do.

If I want something on eBay or elsewhere, I'm not telling anyone I'm bidding. I'm just bidding to win.

Ian Mackenzie
02-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Well I could have outbid someone here recently on a new 2344's cos I felt like it but I didn't, even though I have a need for that horn .

I consider E Bay an open market.

Ian

jblnut
02-17-2005, 02:39 PM
If I want something on eBay or elsewhere, I'm not telling anyone I'm bidding. I'm just bidding to win.

Exactly...You may see quite a few of my posts in the Marketplace section as I (as many if you do I'm sure) tend to keep an eye on ebay as well as Audiogon.

But I'm sure as hell not going to post a heads-up for something I really want to buy myself....ebay is an open market and may the best JBL fan win. It doesn't always take the biggest wallet either. You sort of develop an "ebay sense" as you learn. "Is that a fraduster or just a newbie with no camera" ?

All of my best buys were from either new sellers, sellers with bad (or no) html editing sense, or sellers whose buyer didn't come through. Always remember to email sellers even if you don't think you're going to win the bid. You'd be surprised how often they'll take a second offer after a flaky buyer backs out.

Actually, I kind of enjoy it when I get outbid by a forum member. At least I know the stuff is going to a good home.
I've been outbid by andresohc, vettedrummer, Giskard and many others. It's a fairly small community of fanatics and we're bound to be bumping into each other on these auctions.

jblnut

jblnut
02-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Now that I said all that stuff about bidding and the free market and all :blah: :blah: :blah: ....if you could all stay away from that 018Ti auction I'd surely appreciate it. These are small speakers and probably don't sound that good anyway. How much bass can you get from a single 5" driver ? Not much I'd reckon and those tweeters are probably junk by now. Who needs a small 2-way when JBL makes such fine large 3 and 4-way systems ? Surely not me :blink: .

There's plenty of L100 auctions that I could point you all to instead.....

jblnut

Zilch
02-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Any other forum member bidding on that auction will get a visit from the "colonics*r*us" courtesy van.... :D

[Gotta make up a logo here. In the spirit of "Reddie Kilowatt," but the little guy with the bag and hose's name will be "Fleet."]

"colonics*r*us"

We Fleet!

Ian Mackenzie
02-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Same applies to those LE25's item number: 7302890121 in Oz.

I've been waiting for (1) to come up for an eternity. So mitts of thankyou.

And when I get it installed if it gets pocked in by who ever they will get a hot candle up their clacka!

Ian

boputnam
02-22-2005, 05:07 PM
There's plenty of L100 auctions that I could point you all to instead..... :homer:

Titanium Dome
02-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Man, I didn't even KNOW I needed an 018Ti or an LE-25! Now I just gotta get some. What're those auction nos.?

Let the games begin.

:nanana:

briang
02-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Now that I said all that stuff about bidding and the free market and all :blah: :blah: :blah: .... There's plenty of L100 auctions that I could point you all to instead.....

jblnut

Just point me to a nice L96 auction, please. :nutz: Thanks!

porschedpm
02-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Well the 18ti's are a prime example. Had I not seen JBLNut's posting above I very likely would have placed an aggressive last minute bid for the 18ti's. I had already placed them in my watched list. Out of courtesy I'll wait for another set to come along. I also saw a pair of 120ti's that caught my interest but saw that Giskard had already placed a bid so I didn't pursue them. Can I suggest the following for discussion:

1) If you see something in eBay, Audiogon, or other that you intend to pursue, place a post within the LH Forum Marketplace section noting the item and stating your intention. Other Forum members can then determine for themselves if they want to get in a bidding war with a fellow Forum member. If the Forum member then changes their mind, they should place a follow up post saying they no longer intend to bid on the item.

2) And/or at the same time place a nominal bid in eBay (or Audiogon) for the item to get your name on the bidders list.

3) If I see that a Forum member has stated their intention for an item before I had a chance to do so, but it's something that I feel I really must have, I would PM that Forum member and state my case to try to convince them to not bid against me. But at the end of the day these are 'freakin auctions' and inevitably we're going to have two or more Forum members bidding on the same item. That's life.

I don't think these should be rules or policies but just consideration and manners amoungst Forum members. To quote Zilch above "...it don't NECESSARILY mean stay away. All it means is CONSIDER that one of your pals from here is also bidding on the item."

Ed S.
Fleet Administrator

Zilch
02-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Fleet Administrator

:applaud:

hector.murray
02-23-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm fortunate to have started to develop frienships here (at least I think so) I was fortunate enough recently to pick up some tweeters that I needed, and a forum member was kind enough to back off of. Prior to bidding on that item, I made it known I was looking for the item. The forum member in question showed me a kindness that I won't forget. I do not expect this kind of consideration all the time. I often bid on spec, hoping that if an item goes cheap I'll pick it up with the thought of using it later. I have picked up a few items this way and have made use of them. I don't post about items like that, as items in this catagory are of lowpriority to me and it's no skin off my nose if some one else gets it.
Ebay is of course an open market, but I cannot imagine bidding against Giskard (or a number of folks who have taken the time to assist me) on something he bid on, out of respect for what he does for many of us here in these forums gratis (and he isn't the only one here that falls into this catagory, he is just one example)
Yes, it's a forum, not a fraternaty, religious order, cult or social club. There is no required devotion. I have been taken advantage of by forum members here as well. I do however feel that there is not a need to abuse ppl here.
I have a concern regarding the creation of an ebay ID list.
Such a list could be used by unscrupulous individuals who would use those enumerated on that list as auction scouts, since generally speaking, we would know what was of value and what wasn't.
I think there was mention of some members only security, but it is still a concern for me.

As a side note, I wish to post a formal apology here regarding some Altec 515B that I ended up selling on Ebay. There was an economic disaster of sorts here at my home, and the sale of those drivers on ebay rescued what otherwise would have been a dismal christmas. I'm sorry not for selling the items on ebay, but for not warning the individual in question of what was occuring.

jblnut
02-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Any other forum member bidding on that auction will get a visit from the "colonics*r*us" courtesy van.... :D

[Gotta make up a logo here. In the spirit of "Reddie Kilowatt," but the little guy with the bag and hose's name will be "Fleet."]

"colonics*r*us"

We Fleet!

They'll probably use something like this - and it's a JBL !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4067&item=6157511969&rd=1

jblnut

evans224
02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Damn, that's one expensive enema.:blink: I didn't realize they were collectibles. Gonna have to search the medicine cabinet, maybe find one to sell so I can afford those L220's......

Alex Lancaster
02-25-2005, 02:14 PM
:D I guess Harman bought them too.

Titanium Dome
02-25-2005, 02:29 PM
In this case, JBL means "juicy butt lubricator" I guess. :moon:

porschedpm
02-26-2005, 04:16 AM
Quote from the auction ad: " It holds 1 1/2 Gallons or 6 Quarts!! ....It also has a syringe adapter that can be used to hook up to a second bag if you would like."

Hooked up to a second bag would net you 3 gallons of high colonic bliss. Now That! is pushing some volume. Seems like a little JBL overkill with the dual bag option..... but so did the dual LF drivers on the 4350/4355/4435's. Is that second bag hooked up in series or in parallel? Switch it over to parallel mode for those intimate moments when you want to share the experience with your significant other. Switch it back to series mode when you want to play rodeo star. Yee Ha!!! Ride em cowboy! See if you can stay on for eight seconds. :spchless:

evans224
03-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Check it out-you gotta read the label and follow directions
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1210&item=7304724082&rd=1

Zilch
03-01-2005, 11:48 PM
> colonics*R*us <

JOY - BEAUTY - LIFE

[Don gonna nuke this thread if it keeps up....]

Ian Mackenzie
03-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Well I appear to have won the auction for the new LE25 D8RLE25 kit Aus$61.00.

My L100's should be like new again soon.

The new kit here is about $125.00

The seller was also selling other JBL new parts.

Ian

John
03-04-2005, 09:54 AM
> colonics*R*us <

JOY - BEAUTY - LIFE

[Don gonna nuke this thread if it keeps up....]
Talk about a stray thread:blink:

Steve Gonzales
05-25-2005, 10:19 PM
When it becomes evident to me (as it did recently) that a forum member with a specific need is bidding on an item, I consider withholding bids. In a few cases I've knowingly stopped bidding.

Still, I don't want others to know my eBay ID and have them start building relationships around my bidding habits. It is, after all, a freakin' auction.

I'd hate to see our cordial relationships here become tainted by our behavior there.

"Oh yeah, he's the f@^king moron who took those mint drivers away from me, after I PMed him that I was bidding and really needed them." :argue:

"Well, I didn't want to bid because INSANEjblfanaticDestroyer always gets POed when somone outbids him." :bash:

"Yeah, I wanted that set of speakers, but LansingLooney PMed me to please, please, please let him have them because he'd been looking so long, and now the bastard is parting them out at a profit." :die:

So, NO, I'd rather not know, and I'd rather not put our relationships to that kind of test. If someone really wants something, just post it here and let the members decide in their own hearts what to do.

If I want something on eBay or elsewhere, I'm not telling anyone I'm bidding. I'm just bidding to win. Damn ,Ti Dome, Why the HELL are you NOT a MODERATOR????? , REALLY! ;)

Titanium Dome
05-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Damn ,Ti Dome, Why the HELL are you NOT a MODERATOR????? , REALLY! ;)

Because I have such a hard time with moderation. :nutz:

glen
05-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Had I not seen JBLNut's posting above I very likely would have placed an aggressive last minute bid

But others, NOT on this forum, WON'T refrain from last minute aggressive bidding. Trying too hard not to step on forum members' toes may make it more likely that members will lose out.

Better to let the competitive marketplace do it's thing,
and if you really need something, make your wants known to this community and I'm sure you'll get some help.