PDA

View Full Version : spiders...

hector.murray
02-15-2005, 09:15 PM
I understand that the 123/2212/2213 speakers are roughly the same animal. I picked up a 2212 kit and went to put it into a 2213 and discovered to my horror that the spider on the 2212 assy was too small for the 2213 core :banghead: . This made me wonder.
first, can I obtain a spider for a 2213 from someone / somewhere?
Second, if there is a differance in the spider, is there a differance in the voice coil?
Third, I searched through forum posts and didn't find any info regarding voice coil windings (layers, turns per layer etc...) some "lets mix and match" recipies, but no info related to coil winding specifics or specs. Which led me to the next question: Are coil winding specs an umbra secret that are not published, or is it a black art?
I imaginge anyone who wanted to know could unravel a coil and determine wire guage, turns per inch, layers etc.

Hope I haven't tripped over a verboten topic.

Robh3606
02-16-2005, 05:37 AM
I think you crossed over into a ferrite frame on the 2213. That's the problem. The alnico spiders are smaller looking at a 123A and a 128h-1

Rob:)

hector.murray
02-16-2005, 09:11 PM
You hit the nail on the head Rob. Maybe I should have specified 2213H. Anyway, GordonW is looking into spiders for me (rescue!) and so that project is in a holding pattern for the moment.
I'm nervous about cutting the spider and replacing it, but faint heart never won fair speaker.