PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model Sevens

Alexander
02-12-2005, 09:51 PM
I am pretty sure they are Series II...This could be a potential project...dunno...saw a pair today in a thrift store...foam is shot on the woofs and the midi's...can anyone give me an opinion on these guys. Cabinets look in good shape foam grill is shot...still debating...they were packaged with some early 80's Marantz gear so I may be able to get just the speakers...opinons/history/value???

Andrew

Steve Gonzales
02-14-2005, 02:29 AM
hi Andrew, These speakers were made in the 80's and were in Altec's last good speaker line with the exception of the 500 series with carbon fiber woofers. The 80's vintage Altec's were nice sounding speakers. Good quality enclosures and were well liked by many. I've owned model 9's, Santana's and 15's and thought they were fine sounding speakers myself. I do believe I heard some 7's back in the day and they sounded nice. I wouldn't get too excited about them and wouldn't pay a whole lot for them. I'd say that if you could pick them up in good to VG working and cosmetic shape and they needed only resurround work, $40-50 wouldn't be a bad price. If these have the 5" midrange, I would check to see if the replacement surrounds are still available first. I don't believe they are but I am not 100% sure. Good luck with them, Steve G

Alexander
02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Steve...thanks for the honest summary...especially the heads up on the mid ranges...don't know how much they wanted for just the altec's...they were packaged with some other marantz gear..probably pass i would think...a

GordonW
02-14-2005, 09:53 PM
If it's the closed-back 4.5" mid on a 6.5" frame (wide black flange around the cone, same as the Model 9, which I expect it will be), then the Bose 901 surround will fit, PRECISELY right. Even got the double-roll like at least some of these mids had from the factory. Worked great on a number of pairs I've done... no problems found, either in fit or in sound afterwards.

Anyone needs these, I've got the right ones. Been sending them out for like $5 each or so plus a buck or two for USPS, to various LH forum members, here and there, when needed...

I've also got surrounds here that will fit on the 10" woofers. Just need to know if it's got a flat edge on the cone (flat 1/4" or so wide ring flanged onto the cone, where the surround attaches to the cone), or it it's an angled edge (the surround just attaches straight to the flare of the cone itself, no flat lip). Should also be like $5 each for these... I have both kinds, on hand.

Regards,
Gordon.