PDA

View Full Version : jbl l88 tweeter removal

sammac
02-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Maybe someone has run across this. I am trying to remove the tweeter from an l88. It appears very simple to remove the block that houses the tweeter and the port but the round tweeter face is covering most of one of the screws.
Any ideas??

hector.murray
02-11-2005, 05:23 PM
The LE20 Tweeter is mounted on that wood block by 3 screws. You can't see them as they are covered (on the tweeter frame) by a thin black metal foil that is used (cosmetic) to hide the screws and the metal finish of the LE20. Seriously - it is paper thin and peals easily, where you will find the 3 screws that hold the tweet to the wood block. If you run your finger around the outer edge of that tweeters frame you will feel where the 3 screws are countersunk beneath that foil. Then you can either cut the foil to remove the screws, or lift the foil off completely (easiest) by picking up an edge with an xacto knife and pealing it off.
I just did one of these 3 weeks ago, tops.
When you're done you'll laugh at how easy it was.

Zilch
02-11-2005, 05:54 PM
It CAN be done without creasing the foil, even, if you cut the glue with Xacto or razor blade. Be patient. Go slowly around and around lifting as you go. Don't peel. The foil will come off intact and you'll be able to glue it back later. :)

sammac
02-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys!!
I will try it this weekend.

hector.murray
02-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Zilch is correct. I removed mine as a single piece and it did not crease, but I had no intention of re-using mine. Zilchs' method is best if you intend to re-use that foil.

sammac
02-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks again.

I did not intend to reuse it so I did peel it back and was able to remove
the tweeter.