PDA

View Full Version : 4425 vs LSR32

ooppalla
02-10-2005, 11:57 AM
IN other threads I have read that the 32 is more of an accurate unit, but less loud. My question is how is it's distribution of HF compared to the biradial's 100 x 100? and the compression driver of the 4425 vs. the wave form tweeter of the 32? I also think that I need a sub with either unit. I care about the HF distribution because I am thinking about either pair in a big Kitchen/dining area that is 20longx 14 x 13tall with lots of tile floors, windows and dry wall, except for bedrooms we don't have curtains in any room. All input is welcome.
Thank you,
Don
:blink:

jblnut
02-14-2005, 01:13 PM
IN other threads I have read that the 32 is more of an accurate unit, but less loud. My question is how is it's distribution of HF compared to the biradial's 100 x 100? and the compression driver of the 4425 vs. the wave form tweeter of the 32? I also think that I need a sub with either unit. I care about the HF distribution because I am thinking about either pair in a big Kitchen/dining area that is 20longx 14 x 13tall with lots of tile floors, windows and dry wall, except for bedrooms we don't have curtains in any room. All input is welcome.
Thank you,
Don
:blink:

I wish I had some first hand knowledge here to help you - you've chosen the two JBL's I'd like to hear next, as both are becoming resonable on the second hand market. You're sort of comparing apples and oranges - a near field 3-way with all the last technology (32) to a horn-loaded 2-way from the early 90's. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the 4425 would be more efficient, more dynamic and better at filling up a large area with sound. It also a much larger box of speaker to be hanging up on a wall and may not met the WAF too well :) .

Let us know how it works out either way....

jblnut

Rick
02-15-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't have exprience on 32 but I do have some exprience on 4425 as it is my current speaker system.

The 4425 horn speaker is not as loud as the old jbl horn. In my case, it sounds well in a 200 square ft room area. It can deliver very good mid range and the bass is fast and tight if driven by high power amp. But there are something to note, its' high ferq only up to 16KHz. That's why I 'm putting a pair of ESS AMT tweeter on top of it. The AMT ribbin tweeter works very well with horn.

I was using McIntosh Mc225 to drive it before. Everything was fine except bass. Then I pluged it with the MC-240.

This combo really sounds beautiful.

ooppalla
02-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks so much for the input.
I love my 4425s, but Rick your input on the high end hit the "Bullseye." I also have a pair of L7s, now in the bedroom, and I kept feeling that the High, High end of the 4425s was just lacking a little high end extension that I think I get with the L7s that were in my big room... 24 x 24 x 13. The L7s do sound so much better in a smaller room with the listening position 7-9 feet from the speakers vs. 10-14 feet, closer reflective surfaces and lots of carpet and drapes. Just checked the specks of the L7 and it says that it goes to 27K +/- 6db.
"That's why I 'm putting a pair of ESS AMT tweeter on top of it. The AMT ribbin tweeter works very well with horn."
It must sound great:p and in a small room Whoa!
Back in my studio recording engineering days of the 70s, we had an old RCA ribbon mike from the 50/60s that we would use to capture the complexity of some instuments that didn't have too broad of dynamic range (that would blow out the ribbon) and it sure was able to nail the detail... and of course the master tape had much of the detail of todays SACDs in an all analog format... very sweet.
:bouncy: So where do you find these tweeters and cost... and most imporantly how do you handle the EQ and placement of this transducer relative to the horn?
I use a vintage Mitsubishi DA150DC amp that puts out about 200 a side @ 6 ohms. While I might be better off with more power and certainly the Mac amps you have are superlative, I don't want to run the risk of blowing out the 4425s woofers ... that I have read here are great... but are subject to blowout if run too hard/clipped. I am able to average around 95 dB in my big room's listening positions and while I would like more... I think that level is best for keeping my ear's Celia in the fully upright position longer;)
I missed out on the 32s. The Ebay seller wouldn't answer my questions that I sent over 2 times, so I passed on them ... for now anyway... But I do love walking from room to room and hearing the differences of the L7s Vs the 4425s with twin subs and I don't have any speakers in the kitchen/dining area so it is just a matter of time and budget... Heck just time ... for JBL I can pass on food, water and Se... make that food and water :p

Rick
02-16-2005, 08:39 AM
I got the ESS tweeter from eBay at arround $400. There are mainly 2 kind of ESS tweeters on the market. One is small in size and only sounds forward. the second one is bigger and sounds 2 sided. The second one is what I have got.

Handling this tweeter is very easy. I put a 0.068uF cap then connect the tweeter to the amp which just like I did on 4425. Afterwards, adjust the 2 dails on the 4425, set the 12KHz volume down step by step to audition what level would be good. Let the ESS serve 12KHz and above and the horn serve mainly for mid.

When a super tweeter matched well with the speaker system, you should not able to hear any sound directly come out from the tweeter unit. You can only feel it exist and the hi freq become silky and soundstage become transperent.

Some people doens't get good result from adding ESS or other tweeter is just because they let/want the tweeter sings too loud. You may found out the cap I used is 0.068uF. I heard some people using 0.1uF cap or above and that is why they complaint about the tweeter is too bright!!

I remember I bought the caps, 0.032uF, 0.047uF, 0.068uF and 0.1uF, one pair for each to test which one is the best to fit my system. Sometimes you upgrade a CD player may result you to change to cap to adjust the loudness of the tweeter.

mrbluster
02-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Rick, I was wondering If you have any Information on the "smaller" Ess tweeter. I have a pair of these, and I was wondering about future applications. I still have original XO which I think was around 2 or 2.4k.

Thanks,

Mrbluster