PDA

View Full Version : 4628 Cabarets for $200 in Los Angeles

Regis
02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
A pair of 4628's that need work. According to the owner, the cabs are in good shape, but have the usual stage scratches, nicks etc. Also the E145's need reconing and there may be possibly something wrong with one of the midranges. I asked about the banana plug receptacles, knowing that these are susceptible to damage and yes, they need repair too. Finally, the crossovers may need some "TLC". But in general, the guy really didn't know if the surrounds were rotten or the voice coils were fried. But I had to pass as I was trying to get these for someone else and I figured about $300 to recone the two woofers (too much? Not enough?), bringing the investment to $500.

These can still be had in good shape for $400 to $600. I'm almost tempted to buy them, but I've got $600 tied up this week in a wheelset for my mountain bike (another expensive hobby...). I'd let them sit and slowly work them back into shape with economy in mind. I firmly believe that these big 3-way stage monitors are very undervalued for what they are and what they do. If they were home speakers, they'd easily command $1,000+. But because they're big, black and ugly, they go for far cheaper. Maybe that's good for us!

Zilch
02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I have mated 4628B's with Sub1500 in 4625B, biamped and stacked with the 28's inverted, and I can tell you it's the best sounding system I have here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2731&p=34266

I'm thinking about repackaging them in Gold Sound boxes, referenced earlier in that thread.

Johnaec did an RTA curve on 4628B's, and they are outstanding:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3255

Recone kits for E145 are NOT cheap.

If you wait, a better pair will likely come along.

OTOH, the tweeters alone are worth that $200.... ;)

There's no foam surrounds or banana plugs in stock units.

Regis
02-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks Zilch for the interesting thread! Maybe I'm wrong in refering to the inputs as "Banana Plugs". They look more like the old headphone jacks. I'll wait for a better pair, but I'm wondering what other JBL 15" woof would work in that cab and do the same job with minimum x-over mod (since the E-145 kits are so expensive). Hmmmm.

Zilch
02-04-2005, 04:24 PM
They look more like the old headphone jacks.Yes, that's right, 1/4" phone jacks. Not the best, but they work. I replace them with Switchcraft high-current version on subs.

Alas, there's no good substitute for E145 (unless it's K145). It's a unique animal. Some member may have some kits on the shelf they'd be willing to deal on, tho.

E145's also occasionally show up on eBay.

Never surrender! :D