PDA

View Full Version : Any Amp Recommendation for L220?

Real Prober
01-31-2005, 11:58 AM
I am driving McIntosh MC2100 (105~160W) & C28 combo now...along with Rega Jupiter CD Transport/DAC.

They sound awesome... but it's time to move up.
My budget is around $1500 used.

I am looking for warm, smooth and liquid sound, but not bass (Sadly, I am in Condo)

Currently, I am thinking to use tube integrated amps (CJ, Cary, Jolida etc..) or just upgrade to a better Mac Amp.

Any suggestions?

Zilch
01-31-2005, 12:09 PM
I think maybe I'll build an amp emulator, like they have for guitars.

Save lotsa money for folks in general.

Make lotsa money for me. :D

paragon
01-31-2005, 12:31 PM
No

Steve Gonzales
01-31-2005, 01:44 PM
I use a 2 Yamaha M-80's to power my pairs seen in my avatar. Look, I realize HOW GOOD Mac's are but there just seem to be something about this Yamaha M Power and Big L-series JBL's. These amps have considerable Dynamic headroom-nearly 3db!, super low distortion and CLASS A operation up to 30watts. The MX1000u is PERFECT!!. FULL CLASS A, 260 wpc and INSANE low impedence drive capabilites. You can drive THREE pairs of speakers at the same time and this 1 ohm stable POWER HOUSE delivers 1000 watts into that load!!! They are a handsome amp too. You should try one of the following: M80,85,MX1000, MX1000u. The best thing is that you will not EVER lose a dime as these amps keep their value, albeit modestly priced value. My brother has 5 of these amps (he got me started) and since 1984, NOT ONE has EVER skipped a beat!. They also feature MASSIVE dual power supplies and 16 output devices. When I had just the L222 Disco's, I used the 2 M-80's and a C-70 preamp together. The C-70 and other vintage Yamaha pre's have the inverted output pair along with the regular outputs that allowed me to bridge the M-80's and have 500wpc. WOW-ZEE-WOW-WOW!! That is my take. Please don't dismiss one until you hear for yourself what a truely "match made in heaven" these amps and the L220's are. Good luck in your search and thank you for letting me put in my 2 CENTS :D