PDA

View Full Version : 4716A Speakers

carl lewis
01-30-2005, 02:51 PM
:) HI people - ive just aquired a pair of jbl sound power series 4716a monitor speakers made in denmark - i have the info sheet on them already - i would like to know if any one else owns a pair as i cannot get mine to work - ive tried my roland cube through them and you can barely hear anything -i think they were made in 1991? - also how much would these be to purchase today - Many Thanks:)

Zilch
01-30-2005, 04:04 PM
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sound%20Power%204700%20Series/4716A.pdf

Where did you get these, and how were they used before? If they were in a distributed sound system, they may have transformers in them for a 70V or 100V system.

JBL Dog
01-30-2005, 04:15 PM
:) HI people - ive just aquired a pair of jbl sound power series 4716a monitor speakers made in denmark - i have the info sheet on them already - i would like to know if any one else owns a pair as i cannot get mine to work - ive tried my roland cube through them and you can barely hear anything -i think they were made in 1991? - also how much would these be to purchase today - Many Thanks:)

Here is a set of 4726A's I picked up in the "tent" a while back. It's the same speaker as the 4716A with a 2206H instead of a 2123H. I believe I paid $350 each in the tent. They were new, but "B-stock". You'd probably be looking at $700 each new with a retail of around $900 - $1,000 per unit. There's no passive crossover built into the model I have. It requires you to use the number two and three +/- leads on an 8 conductor neutrik speakon connector in a biamplified system. I have used this speaker in a triamped sytem with an AS1025 dual 15" (2226J x 2) for the low end. That may be why the sound is poor.

Good Luck!

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:

carl lewis
01-30-2005, 04:22 PM
They are the very same speakers - the inputs at the back are not as low down on the unit , but more central

carl lewis
01-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I got the speakers from a holiday resort in uk - they were used for playing childrens music through - they were a bit tatty but cleaned up well-thanks for reply - anymore info welcomed - :) Carl

JBL Dog
01-30-2005, 04:37 PM
They are the very same speakers - the inputs at the back are not as low down on the unit , but more central

Doh! My 4726A's have a 2344/2426J instead of the 2342/2416H horn/driver combo you have!

Sorry!

carl lewis
01-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Doh! My 4726A's have a 2344/2426J instead of the 2342/2416H horn/driver combo you have!

Sorry!

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:Can you tell me what the circut board ( crossover) is there for - This set has 1 each - I think this set up is a 2123H / :) 2416H

Zilch
01-30-2005, 04:45 PM
A-HA! That's what these horns are from with the ports in the back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47092&item=3778930363&rd=1

Note the radiused notch outta the bottom.... :p

carl lewis
01-30-2005, 04:49 PM
A-HA! That's what these horns are from with the ports in the back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47092&item=3778930363&rd=1

Note the radiused notch outta the bottom.... :p The horns in this set are different from e-bay ones - i will have to post some photos for y,all...

Zilch
01-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Yeah, your horns are smaller. Those be the ones in the Doggie's units.

Best I can suggest is to test each of the drivers individually. The crossover board is shown in the Tech Sheet I posted originally.

Are you able to drive other speakers outta the Roland output you're using? Are you sure it's an external speaker output?

[We ALWAYS like pics. Yup, yup....]

carl lewis
01-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, your horns are smaller. Those be the ones in the Doggie's units.

Best I can suggest is to test each of the drivers individually. The crossover board is shown in the Tech Sheet I posted originally.

Are you able to drive other speakers outta the Roland output you're using? Are you sure it's an external speaker output?

[We ALWAYS like pics. Yup, yup....] Other speakers i have driven out the roland are low too - I usually play guitar out of the Rolandand in through laptop which is fine but other speakers are a no no - Im very new to this kind of amplification i have tried a speakon lead out of the roland into the jbl but got very low volume - many thanks for taking time to help Carl...

Zilch
01-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you're trying to use a line or headphone output on the Roland to run speakers. Ain't gonna work....

Find and link us to the description of the amp and the output you're trying to use....

Ooops. Here it is. You need an amp on that output to drive speakers:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=7&subcatid=32&prodid=Cube+15

carl lewis
01-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you're trying to use a line or headphone output on the Roland to run speakers. Ain't gonna work....

Find and link us to the description of the amp and the output you're trying to use....

Ooops. Here it is. You need an amp on that output to drive speakers:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=7&subcatid=32&prodid=Cube+15Thanks friend youve been really helpful - the amp is a 30 watt - but your still right - time to get an amp then - i gotta go now its 1am in the uk now and im in work tomorrow - again many thanks - maybe talk tomorrow - Carl

JBL Dog
01-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Can you tell me what the circut board ( crossover) is there for - This set has 1 each - I think this set up is a 2123H / :) 2416H

Mine don't have a passive crossover, they have to be biamped. I'm crossing them over at 1200hz.

carl lewis
01-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks friend youve been really helpful - the amp is a 30 watt - but your still right - time to get an amp then - i gotta go now its 1am in the uk now and im in work tomorrow - again many thanks - maybe talk tomorrow - Carl Just aquired a HH V500 power amp unfortunatley without the fuse - hope to get one shortly - fingers crossed - sorry no pics yet!!!:)

carl lewis
01-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Just aquired a HH V500 power amp unfortunatley without the fuse - hope to get one shortly - fingers crossed - sorry no pics yet!!!:) Can anyone advise me on what leads and connectors i need to get my jbl4716a and hh v500 power amp up and running -yours confused - Carl:blink:

Zilch
01-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Blown fuse, huh?

Ummmm, better try it with some cheap speakers first.... :p

If standard, your speakers have Neutrik NL4 MPR, and you'll be connecting to terminals 1+ and 1- of them. I assume you got some cables and connectors with these, since you've already "played" them.

We need to know what kind of connector is on your Roland output (1/4", probably,) and what your amplifer input and output connectors are.

Who's the manufacturer of that amp, and can you link us to a website for it?

carl lewis
01-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Blown fuse, huh?

Ummmm, better try it with some cheap speakers first.... :p there was no fuse in the amp to begin with - i may be on a loser - 6.3A (T) - is this right ?

Zilch
01-31-2005, 05:11 PM
It should say on the amp or in the manual what fuse is required. You're 240V, right? 6.3A would be the fuse size, yes, if that's what it says for 240V. That's 6.3 Amps.

carl lewis
01-31-2005, 05:17 PM
there was no fuse in the amp to begin with - i may be on a loser - 6.3A (T) - is this right ? Aint got the leads yet - borrowed one to play with - neutrik / jack - wrong lead - the info on the amp is male xlrs x2 out to neutrik x2 - roland is standard jack // i have two in puts on jbl do i need x2 xlr to neutrik x2 - the amp is dual channell both stereo.......

Zilch
01-31-2005, 05:29 PM
No, the two Neutrik jacks on the speaker (you only got one?) are wired together, so as to allow several speakers to be daisy-chained on one channel. Look at the diagram in the tech sheet I posted in the beginning of this thread.

You're gonna have to buy or make speaker cable(s) Neutrik-Neutrik. The end at the speaker is male, I think. If the one on the output of the amp is the opposite, you'll have to get a cable male to female (M/F). You're not being entirely clear here. Are the HH (whatever that is, Hafler?) speaker outputs Neutrik or XLR?

Regarding the input, your amp output is unbalanced 1/4" phone jack, sounds like, and probably mono. The cable will be 1/4" to balanced XLR. You need the manual for that power amp. Sounds like, for starters, you'll be using only one channel.

Just reviewing, you originally said you got a pair of the speakers. So, you'll be running that power amp in dual mono mode, if that's available. Your mono signal will go into one of the inputs. There should be a switch to feed it to both channels of the amp. Then, you'll hook one of your speakers to each of the amp output chanels.

This your amp? http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/v500.htm

carl lewis
02-01-2005, 01:28 PM
:blink: I told you i was new to this !! - At the risk of infuriating you again, the amp is correct, thanks. Is this right, back of amp female xlr outputs only x4 , so is it from 1 F/XLR to Speaker/Neutrik then linked to second Speaker/Neutrik (daisy chained ) I hope this is right....:blah:

Zilch
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
The limited specs in the link I posted indicate that binding post speaker outputs are available there, so hooking the speakers will be easier. You'll connect bare wire ends to the binding posts, with Neutrik connectors going to the speakers on the other end. Two speaker cables, two Neutiks. The connection is to pins 1+ and 1- of the Neutriks (see 4716A Tech Sheet) . Pay attention to polarity so you get both speakers wired the same. If you want to use the XLR connection instead of the binding posts, you're gonna have to get the manual to figure out which pins provide the output, i.e., how they are wired. Again, get a copy of the manual somewhere so you know what's going on here.

While the daisy-chain approach you suggest will work, it'll only use one channel of the power amp. The better approach is to find out how that amp can be used in dual mono mode so that you can connect one speaker to each channel and use them both from the same mono source. If there's no dual mono mode on that amp, you can obtain a "Y" cable to connect your single Roland output to both of the inputs simultaneously. Talk to your pro audio dealer there about cabling, and GET THE MANUAL.

Regarding the inputs, I see you have 1/4" TRS available in addition to XLR inputs. Most pro amps will accept unbalanced 1/4" TS plugs at their balanced inputs. The sleeve automatically grounds one of the differential inputs. If that's the case, connecting the input can be done with a guitar cord or other shielded cable having standard 1/4" plugs on both ends. Ultimately, you'll want pro cables to do this, though, whether you use the XLR or the 1/4" connector. Here again, you should consult the amp manual for input wiring recommendations.

carl lewis
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe these will help.:banghead:

Zilch
02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
You said trashed speakers. They look pretty nice, actually. Do your messin' with figuring out how to hook up the amp, and whether the amp works with some cheap speakers first, please. Listen to the Zilchster on this. We BOTH gonna be plenty bent if whatever blew that fuse also smokes your JBL's.

Ultimately, I don't think your neighbors are gonna be very happy about this.

Heh, heh.... :D

:rockon1: :bouncy:

carl lewis
02-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Well Zilch - I think ive got it now - I will try with binding post method first - Your A Star...........:) .........I WILL use the old speakers for testing .... just waiting for fuse to arrive in morning ... but the bad news is I have operation on hand tomorrow and will be out of service for a month......Nevermind ...Ill keep you informed of progress ..Again Many Thanks...Carl

Zilch
02-01-2005, 02:33 PM
O.K., glad to help. Playin' guitar will be good therapy, probably. Get the surgeon to prescribe it. :p

Play good now, and come back here to tell us how it all works out....

carl lewis
02-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi - Hand op went fine - amp did not work - just died of old age i guess - second amp failed - got a friend in town whos a DJ - he s gonna run them out for me at the venue before the gig - hes got a nice jbl venue system - not sure what - that will be Thursday night - I will speak again then - Cheers!!!

Zilch
02-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi again, Carl.

Good deal, the surgery went well!

You finding these amps at the curb, are you? ;)

A decent tech can probably make 'em work for you.

Please put your location in your profile here so we can see what town that is....

carl lewis
02-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Zilch.....Cant open profile - Im in Minehead , Somerset , England , UK...Nearest place to a metropolis would be Taunton or Exeter or Bristol....

Zilch
02-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Zilch.....Cant open profile Click "User CP" at the top of any page, then "Edit Profile" in the left column. Scroll down for "Location." Whatever you put in there will show on your posts....

carl lewis
02-20-2005, 04:31 PM
:) WELL FINALLY GOT TO GIVE THEM A RUN OUT - IN MY FRIENDS STUDIO - EVERYTHING WENT WELL - SOUNDED BRILLIANT - :( BUT ONE OF THE MID RANGE 2123H's JUST DIDN'T PERFORM AT ALL - I SWITCHED IT OVER TO THE OTHER CAB AND GOT NOTHING - LOOKING AT IT THERE SEEMS TO BE NO FAULT VISUALLY COMPARED TO THE OTHER - BUT WHAT DO I KNOW ANY DIAGNOSIS WOULD BE WELCOMED - BEFORE SHE GOES INTO THE SHOP ......

hector.murray
02-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Determining if the 2123 is viable is a no brainer. If you have an Ohm meter, put the Ohm meter on the lowest scale and read across the terminals of the speaker. An Acceptable range is roughly 4 - 6 Ohms.
If you need to replace it there are lots for sale at the moment on Ebay. Probably cheaper than having one reconed.

carl lewis
02-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Many Thanks...............