PDA

View Full Version : 2241 or K151 ?

Tom Loizeaux
07-10-2003, 05:47 PM
I have a 8.5 cu.ft. cabinet that I want to load with a quality 18" speaker. I want to use it for helping the lowest octave in an electric bass rig that already uses a pair of K140s (all running in full range), and sometimes as a sub woofer in a small PA system. I need advice as to which 18" driver I should use. I think the K151 would sound fine in both applications, but I suspect the 2241 would put out more deep low end. Would the 2241 be able to handle the transiants of an electric bass low end? Which would work better in my ported 8.5 cu.ft. cabinet?
I would attempt to tune the enclosure to optimize which ever driver I select.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

boputnam
07-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Hey, Tom...

I can't help specifically, but here's an interesting thread which dove into the E- and K-series, although not extensively into the K151: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=361&highlight=K151

My grab is, that with it's overall specs and power-handling, you couldn't do much better than the K151!

Here's a Link to the .pdf if you're needing: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/k_series.pdf

scott fitlin
07-10-2003, 09:28 PM
I believe the 2241 can handle the transients of an electric bass, but Im not sure that the 2241 has the sound your looking for. The K151 or E155 has a really nice sound to it. It will give you a brighter sounding bassline. In comparison I think you might find the 2241 a bit muddy sounding. Just my opinon.

My choice would be the K151 for its definition and transient response.

BTW, we used to use the E-155,s as subwoofers in my place years ago, and they sounded amazing. Very quick and punchy. The sound was centered on the strike of the drum. I switched to the JBL: 2240 which is also good, but not the same sound as the 155. I played with the 2241 in here and it has more deep low end, but not enough punch! If your playing electric bass this is important as bass guitars go well up into the midrange. I would imagine you would be looking for a very clean driver with good snap into the midbass/midrange region!

Rex Mills
07-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Tom
You sorta have two opposing needs. One. bass extension for sound reinforcement and the other for bass guitar use. The 2241 in an 8.5 cu. ft. cabinet tuned to around 39 Hz would be great for a small PA set up but is kinda overkill for Fender bass and will possibly overpower the stage. The K 151 is an awesome bass guitar driver with great transients and much better response above 500 Hz than the 2241.
Either 18 will work but if your main use was for bass guitar I would choose the K 151