PDA

View Full Version : JBL LE 5.2 abd LE 25-1 needed

bigbluedude
01-29-2005, 01:20 PM
I am using my L100s now as rear surround speakers for my 7.1 HT. One of them, I just found that the midrange and tweeter in the same box are not working. I pulled them out and tried to get them to fire off the cross-over and still no luck. Where do I go from here? Can they be repaired or do I go find ones on eBay? Or heaven for bid replace them with non OEM?

Thanks

Zilch
01-29-2005, 01:58 PM
I'd find replacements on eBay. They CAN be fixed, but....

Also, you should put some effort into figuring out what blew them. That's NOT a normal occurance....

GordonW
01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
LE25 (tweeters) blowing up is a bit more unusual, but I'm finding that MANY original LE5-2s seem to be failing... generally, due to a failure of the glue holding the voice coil winding to the voice coil former.

I've reconed a BUNCH of LE5-2s, for just this reason- pulled them apart, clean as a whistle- no evidence of overheating or abuse, just the ENTIRE winding was loose from the former, and the "flexing about" of the loose winding resulted in the wires breaking (and a silent driver).

I'm of the impression, from mounting experience, that pretty much EVERY LE5-2 is eventually going to need to be reconed, if it's used pretty much AT ALL, anymore. Looks like we've just reached the "time limit" on the adhesive holding the voice coil windings on, on the original moving assemblies...

Regards,
Gordon.

bigbluedude
01-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks guys for the responses, I moved over from the AVS forum to this one when I found it on Google for my JBLs. I bought these L100s from a guy in college that needed money bad, thats back int 1976. I think I paid him $200. Not sure how long he had them before me. I still have the paperwork for the 25 Year warranty that the audio store gave him on the L100s. I ran them pretty hard, originally with a Dynakit, then various receivers. We even moved them to Switzerland for 2 years when I worked there. I just recently retired them to the rear surounds in my Home Theater room. I knew I was having trouble with one of them because the LE 5-2 kept going in and out over the last few years. Listening closely to the other box the midrange is out on that one also, but the tweeter is still working. I am a DIY kind of guy and have built and sold several sets of speakers in my time. Can I fix these speakers myself, by opening them up? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif
Thanks again

porschedpm
01-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the Forum Bigbluedude. I think you'll find that most folks on this Forum consider JBLs as much a hobby as a passion. We enjoy tinkering with them as much as listening to them. One of the beauties of the older JBL's is that many of the parts are available either on eBay, directly from JBL, or other Forum members. For your L100's, you can find nearly everything, down to the screws, available onn eBay. It's pure heresy, but many eBay sellers find it more profitable to cannabilize and part out L100's than to sell them whole. If you do a search on "JBL +(Century,L100,100,LE25,LE5,LE,123a,123)" you'll capture just about everything, and then some. As far as changing out drivers on your L100's, you'll find they're very easy to replace (just be careful not to overtighten the screws).

Oh and by the way, a fellow Forum member that goes by the name Sonofagun. that is able to make L100 foam grilles that look identical to the originals. The L100's that were raffled off recently have a pair of his grille foams.

bigbluedude
02-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I put a bid in on eBay for 2- LE 5-2 midrange replacements for my L100. I thought $60 was not to bad for 30 year old speakers...:D . I was immediatly outbid, now it is up to $110 for the pair. In parrallel, I go a quote for a complete reconing on line for $150/speaker, $300 total. This is now getting expensive. Is this what I should expect in the antique/classic speaker business???? At these prices I could go to PartsExpress and get new high end replacements. But that would be sacriledgous?(sp)
Your astute comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Zilch
02-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Search completed auctions on eBay, and you'll see that LE5-2's are selling between $120 and $150 a pair. That's twice what they were a couple of years ago there.

Factory recone kits for JBL are indeed expensive, but, luckily, they are still available for 40-year-old drivers. I usually check the retail price for the kits on the JBL Pro site for an idea as to how much reconing will cost. My local guy does it for that price, substantially cheaper than the "online" quotes.

There are also "aftermarket" cone kits available at lower prices. I think I'd go that route before jumping to some other brand substitute drivers. Also, find the LE-5 matrix in other threads on this site. There are JBL substitutes which you may find cheaper.

I don't know why L100's have beome a "cult." Seems the more we trash them here, the more "dear" they get. We'll keep up the good work, tho. No worries there.... :D

GordonW
02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I've reconed quite a few pairs of LE5-2s with aftermarket parts... I will save and re-use the original dustcaps whenever possible, but replace all the other moving parts. I've actually measured and compared a recone with an original... and within small differences in efficiency (1 dB or less) they seem to match the response curves of the originals.

When I recone these locally, I usually charge $65 each, parts and labor... but for AudioHeritage members, I usually knock $10 off each ($55 per driver). PM me for details, if you like...

Regards,
Gordon.

duaneage
02-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Go to www.speakersaver.com (http://www.speakersaver.com)

Carl Grunwald owns this company and has 25 years with JBL repair. I consider him the best at reworking jbl drivers, he has done several for me over the years.

email
[email protected]

hector.murray
02-04-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm of the impression, from mounting experience, that pretty much EVERY LE5-2 is eventually going to need to be reconed, if it's used pretty much AT ALL, anymore. Looks like we've just reached the "time limit" on the adhesive holding the voice coil windings on, on the original moving assemblies...

And the 2105 as well?

GordonW
02-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Probably. Though, those are somewhat newer (usually) than the LE5-2s we're usually talking about, so they may not be exhibiting the same problems yet. But, yes, I'd expect any of the 2105s to eventually start exhibiting this behaviour...

Regards,
Gordon.