PDA

View Full Version : L220's

F350SD
01-28-2005, 10:28 AM
About 6 months ago I pulled a set of speakers from the curb. after a brief inspection I determined these big monsters were JBL brand speakers in need of 4 surrounds. I wheeled them into my garage and hooked them up to my Marrantz 2270. Frankly, I wasn't impressed! Next, in their place I hooked up Bose 201's, much better sound now. After a brief Ebay search, I found they had value. Therefore I listed them. Immediately I knew something was up, apparent by the number of hits and watchers these L220's received. Instanly I began receiving emails with offers ranging from $150 - $800 to stop the auction. Naturally I refused. At this point it was very exciting to think that something I pulled off the curb would bring such a nice profit. My reserve of $650 was almost met when another questionable email came telling me to stop the auction. But this one was very different. This guy was asking to stop the auction because in his opinion these L220's were the best speakers a working man could possibly posses without spending thousands and thousands of dollars. Furthermore, he was willing to teach me how to build a system to drive these bad boys. At this point I still had my doubts. Time was running out (reserve almost met) I stopped the auction to do more research. After contacting my local JBL dealer and pricing driver repairs I was extremely disappointed to find they needed $150 or more per driver to recone (ouch). After more phone calls and disappointments I decided to tackle the job myself. What a learning experience, I got pretty good at replacing these surrounds. Much patience needed (see pics). I got many compliments on my patented shimless voice coil alignment technique and factory looking back glue method. Now the big day, back to the 70 watt Marrantz 2270. Although my voice coils alignment was flawless, no rubs no scratches I wasn't impressed! So again I emailed my new FRIEND from Bakersfield, CA. He indicated it's time to buy a Yamaha brand amplifier. Soon my MX1000u arrived ($455 Ebay). WOW, NOW I AM A BELIEVER! My quality of life just stepped up a couple of notches. THIS BABY ROCKS!!!! My friends are jealous and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Let's face it, I would have tried to make a buck$ like all the other email offers I had, but one UNIQUE, UNSELFISH, AWESOME, GUY KEPT ME FROM MAKING ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES OF MY LIFE!

THANKS TO MY NEW FRIEND.....STEVE GONZALES! (meep meep)

For those of you have made it to the end of my thread thanks for listening.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

4313B
01-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Obviously I need to start driving around the streets of Livonia...

Mr. Widget
01-28-2005, 11:09 AM
That's a JBL story that will almost put a tear in your eyes.

Welcome aboard Mr. 350. Nice work on those surrounds too!

Widget

Earl K
01-28-2005, 11:15 AM
:D

Glad it worked out so nicely for you ( and Steve, the L220 evangelist ) . :bouncy:

Those sure are nice components / and the cabinets are stellar looking when restored . :yes:

Are you going to do his horn mod. - it makes good sense to me ( FWIW ). :blah:

:cheers: <. Earl K

John
01-28-2005, 12:31 PM
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/scratchchin.gif Is it me or does that story,at least about the part by the curb sound something like the 58 vette or 70 chevelle in the barn for $500.00 story that used to circulate a while ago. http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

Zilch
01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Nope. He got them for FREE! :applaud:

My own pair I got for about $200 from a "picker."

No wonder to me, they looked totally and miserably thrashed.

Thought I'd use them as subs, if nothing else, 'til I heard the 076 tweets.

Fully restored, now, except the cabinets. Doog dawg, I love 'em.... :D

Good JOB, F350SD!

And a special thank to Steve for his timely intervention. :thmbsup:

Steve Gonzales
01-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Thank you :applaud:

scott fitlin
01-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi F350, welcome, you made out like a bandit! Way to go!

Theres just something about vintage JBL :applaud:

JBL Dog
01-28-2005, 01:29 PM
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/scratchchin.gif Is it me or does that story,at least about the part by the curb sound something like the 58 vette or 70 chevelle in the barn for $500.00 story that used to circulate a while ago. http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

I got my L220's for $305 on Ebay three years ago. I rolled the dice on that one. The seller had real bad pictures and said all woofers needed recones. New surrounds and a refinish later, I sold 'em for a nice profit. I know of a guy that got a Paragon in a New Orleans pawn shop for $800. That was long before Ebay was around. He talked the guy down from $1k because an 075 wasn't working. It was just disconnected. I would say the return on investment would be fairly good if he decided to sell it!

It's called being in the right place at the right time.

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:

Steve Gonzales
01-28-2005, 01:40 PM
I got my L222's in trade for a $120.00 pair of Sony SS-X7's from a good guy that couldn't even get the $200.00 starting bid on eBay. He had HORRIBLE pics and they were in worse shape then that in person. I learned SO MUCH restoring these speakers that it led to the Summit horn swap. It's a big world out there and not EVERYONE is aware of the value of JBL's. They see that rotten foam and they think that they are toast (LUCKY FOR US)

JBL Dog
01-28-2005, 01:46 PM
It's a big world out there and not EVERYONE is aware of the value of JBL's. They see that rotten foam and they think that they are toast (LUCKY FOR US)

Amen!

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:

John
01-28-2005, 02:03 PM
I could relate to being in the right place at the right time,but sitting at the curb with the trash well,that is just a bit out there. What is the chance of a owner of something like that thinking hey the foam is rotten i think i will throw them out with the garbagehttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif I have run into my share of deals but not sitting on the curb,more like in a garage or basement with a half inch of dust on top. Seller most of the time knows there are a few parts in there that are worth something and is just looking for a token amount. Then on the other hand I think Giskard is right lets start cruizing the Hood on garbage dayhttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif

150a/250ti
01-28-2005, 02:21 PM
i noticed steve was mentioned here and i wanted to add in.steve is a good guy he hooked me up with a very rare set of le14h-1s that are perfect.thanks again steve you are a jbl master.
jack

John
01-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi Steve I hope you do not think i am a dark cloud??? Also the way I read this opening post it implies to me that these were picked up at the curb,like where the trash is located. I reviewed the link you provided and F350SD sounds like he knew something about these,and did you notice he indicates he bought them at a estate sale!!! and not picked up off the curb!!! So this makes me believe he had a idea these were indeed worth something. Lets face it these were not trashed speakers in any way,seems to me the only issue was the foam surrounds. I think if anyone also looks at the links they will conclude the story was like a fishing story ,you can call that untruthfull if that is what you want to do,i never used that term.

Zilch
01-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Somehow, I don't think "I pulled these from the curb" would be something I'd put in my auction listing for them either. "I got them at an estate sale" might read a little better there.... :D

jblnut
01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Snip...

So again I emailed my new FRIEND from Bakersfield, CA. He indicated it's time to buy a Yamaha brand amplifier. Soon my MX1000u arrived ($455 Ebay). WOW, NOW I AM A BELIEVER! My quality of life just stepped up a couple of notches. THIS BABY ROCKS!!!!

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

It always makes me smile to see another JBL fan hook his babies up to some serious old Yamaha power. Someone jumped on the PC2002M auction I posted yesterday. Hopefully it was someone here - you just can't go wrong with these amps !

jblnut

Steve Gonzales
01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
John, do you think someone is REALLY going to say that they picked these up off the curb when they try to sell them, like, I found these on the curb for free, give me $1000.00 for them. you've never fudged on a listing or made it sound more attractive?. I talk to Mark all the time because of the friendship we have built from this chance meeting. It does sound like you are being a little too skeptical to the point of the boarderline. Hey man, we are all entitled to say and think whatever the hell we want so, I'm saying that you sound skeptical to the point that you are ALMOST saying that he is not telling the truth. Why would he lie? He just wanted to share something good. I think it's cool and I'm not going to sit here and pretend that your statements are not suspect. This isin't about me or you anyways, it's about a NEW MEMBER sharing his story.

John
01-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Well then who is being untruthfull??? You can list them with out any story at all.

Steve Gonzales
01-28-2005, 03:01 PM
I do love these underated amps!! Got 2 M80's powering a pair of L222/L220's each

Steve Gonzales
01-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Whatever John, or you could just take the MAN at his word too!

John
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Oh And i have seen many auctions on ebay where the seller says if you are looking at this you know what they are, let the bidding start!!! And i also have never felt the need to make up a storyline to sell something. When I decide to sell something i will say make me an offer or this is my price. It is a simple as that.Anyone that knows me from this forum know,s that I am a straight shooter and I have had the privalege to meet a few members from this forum and they have all been first class as well. :applaud:

Mr. Widget
01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Come-on guys.

This is hardly, who spilled what on whose blue dress, or did you authorize an illegal war in Central America.

I say it is time to talk Mr. 350 into upgrading the mids in those L220s and get some horn action going! :bouncy:

Widget

Steve Gonzales
01-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I agree 100%. BTW, that's some FUNNY SH*T Widget!!

John
01-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes I agree,After all i think those links proved my point long ago.:applaud:

OFD
01-28-2005, 11:35 PM
I don’t know F350SD, or just about anyone in this forum for that matter. What I got out of his post was, for the most part, that this new member was showing appreciation for services and assistance from another member – Steve Gonzales. Steve didn’t charge him for his services – he guided him (just like he’s currently guiding me) on the best way to get the most out of his system.

F350SD publicly acknowledged, as am I, the efforts of one man who exudes the very best of what this forum should represent – members helping members enjoy their JBL treasure to the max. Steve – you are a gem in a field of snow. Why someone would make such an effort to discredit the good that has been done by questioning the morals of the recipient is way beyond my level of comprehension.

Maybe it’s the long, frigid winter that I remember all too well, or something wet stuck to a frozen flagpole. http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wave.gif

John
01-28-2005, 11:54 PM
The only thing that was a bit too much to believe was the part about finding a pair of near mint condition L220,s at the curb side. The links to the auction on ebay kind of confirmed this as well. I do not remember ever making any comments about anybodys moral,s or values. Read the thread again from the start!!! :blah:

OFD
01-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Just reread my post. Oops - went over the line a bit.

Sorry John. I let my fingers do too much talking. Must be the balmy breezes here in Lotusland. http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif No flame intended.

John
01-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Steve For your own good you should try to get a grip.I am starting to worry about you. How many times do you plan to get sensored here. In the past few months I have noticed a down hill slide. Get out now and then and enjoy life.
Get off the anger pills. All these terms such as Liar, Not truthfull,Hell, have all been brought up by you steve.I would not want you to leave the forum as i look forward to all your posts,reallyhttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

4313B
01-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Are you going to do his horn mod. - it makes good sense to me ( FWIW ).Have we determined if an HL93 and 376 will fit? I can't remember if it's too large in diameter or not. It might not be too big a deal to modify the divider panel to make it work.

Steve Gonzales
01-29-2005, 10:16 AM
I tried the 375 just for kicks, and it is too large and hits the divider. There is a project on the burner to make some new cabs and allow for this someday.

4313B
01-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Yeah, probably preferable to hacking up stock enclosures to make the 375/376 fit.

Zilch
01-29-2005, 10:26 AM
2450'd fit, I betcha.... :D

Steve Gonzales
01-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Is that a Be. driver? , I can get my hands on a pair of 2435HPL's.

majick47
01-29-2005, 10:39 AM
It always makes me smile to see another JBL fan hook his babies up to some serious old Yamaha power. Someone jumped on the PC2002M auction I posted yesterday. Hopefully it was someone here - you just can't go wrong with these amps !

jblnut I'm another convert to Yamaha amps and on my advice my brother recently purchased a excellent condition Yamaha MX-1000u amp to power his 4311b speakers and he is very pleased. Is there much of a difference (price/performance) between the Yamaha pro amps (PC2002M etc) and the home versions (M80, M85, MX-1000u)? I also recommended he upgrade to a Yamaha CX-1000 preamp. Total cost for the two (amp/preamp) should be under $1,000 and I think it would be a hard to beat in that price range.

Steve Gonzales
01-29-2005, 11:01 AM
I've had EXCELLENT results/performance with the "M" series, they are SUPER clean and have TONS of dynamic headroom!. I've only heard one Pro series and suspect that alot of the same good technology is used in them. They are fitted with HUGE dual power supplies and big, multiple output transistors. My bro has some Carver amazing Platinums in his livingroom, (RARELY used, he has L250's in his main rig), and I brought over a M80 250wpc to test it with them. the Carvers have a sensitivity of 85db/wm and need tons of power to drive. We were amazed to see the M80's power meters peaked SOLID to the MAX with no audible distortion!!!!. And Bob Carver thought his speakers were amazing...;)

BTW, The MX1000u is a much better amp than the plain MX1000. The MX1000 is really just an M80 with updated meters and cosmetics. The CX1000 pre is a great choice. I have owned quite a few in this line of preamps and I like the C70 because it is the only one to omit the troublesome variable loudness. It is VERY hard to "get it right" with this feature. It always seems to add something to the signal and there is no way to shut it off completely. Good luck with your Yamaha's and please post your results-Steve G

Zilch
01-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Giskard was suggesting a 2" driver on short H93 horn. 2450 is 2" throat Nd magnet driver with 4" titanium diaphragm, 6-37/64" diameter. LE85 is like 5-3/4 diameter. I don't have a 375 or 2440 here to measure.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2450.pdf

2435 is indeed Be, 3" diaphragm, but 1-1/2" throat. Would require a throat adapter, which is likely available.

Don't know that I'd go all the way to Be just for midrange, though....

Earl K
01-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi

I tried the 375 just for kicks, and it is too large and hits the divider.

- Oh ,,, too bad . :blink:

- Now ; :blah:

If I had those L220(s) and felt I needed better midrange resolution, I'd try to fit in a Selenium horn ( the 2" entry HL 14-50, along with their 1.4" to 2" adapter for 1.5" exit drivers ) . The H94 would need to completely cover this horns bell exit of @ 5.5" ( 140 mm). Since I don't know the dimensons of the H94 - I don't know if it would actually cover.

The driver I would use would be one of JBLs' tiny 243x series. The Selenium horn with 1.4" adapter will nicely support a 800hz crossover point - though I'm not sure about the 243x drivers low band capabilities - due to the use of very small "back-caps".

This horn/driver combo would likely require a complete reworking of that midrange portion of the passive crossover.

These lenses generally impose a mechanical/acoustical form of 6 db per octave low-pass as the HF energy is distributed into the horizontal plane. So to end up back at a "Flat" response the horn/driver combo needs to start with a rising response of 6 db per octave ( I imagine this "need" is provided for in the choice of the le5? model ) . This rising response can of course be accomplished electrically by making a passive form of CD horn "boost"/mid-range roll-off .

:cheers: <. Earl K

Steve Gonzales
01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I'd be lying if I said that wasn't just a little over my head;) . I love new ideas and have MANY projects in the works, and will use this info to find the best combo. The LE85/H92 works really good so far but there is ALWAYS room to tinker. This may sound silly but, I have the 375/2395 combo powered straight off the L222's passive crossover for now and it sounds wonderful! I don't remember the H93 being as smooth. For some reason, that short horn sounds harsh to me. The 375 is approx. 6 and3/4". I like the 2450 idea too.

BTW, The 94 lens is 10"x 5"

majick47
01-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Steve due to a blizzard with two plus feet of snow, I havn't had a chance to get out to my brothers house to listen to his 4311b and the Yamaha Mx-1000u amp but when I do I'll update on the results. I have my own Yamaha amp for comparison, a Yamaha MX-2000 (130 watt class A). This amp still amazes me with it's ability to drive my modified L200b speakers (added 2405 tweeters/3106 crossovers). Zero distortion no matter how much I push the volume. From what I have seen the MX-2000 amps are real keepers and it is rare to find them for sale. The seller was biamping and I purchased a second MX-2000 along with his CX-2000 preamp, TX-2000 tuner and CDX-2020 cd player. Hope to put the second amp to good use possibly biamping the L200b.

Steve Gonzales
01-30-2005, 11:19 AM
That is some GOOD stuff! You are going to freak when you hear and see just how powerful that MX1000u is. Just as clean as a MX 2000, still class A and about 200 more watts per channel, it is 1 ohm stable too! Dave B (our mutual friend) was READY and waiting for the blizzard, he got ahead of the game by dialing in his truck mounted snow plow before it hit BRRRRRRRR...

jblnut
01-31-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm another convert to Yamaha amps and on my advice my brother recently purchased a excellent condition Yamaha MX-1000u amp to power his 4311b speakers and he is very pleased. Is there much of a difference (price/performance) between the Yamaha pro amps (PC2002M etc) and the home versions (M80, M85, MX-1000u)? I also recommended he upgrade to a Yamaha CX-1000 preamp. Total cost for the two (amp/preamp) should be under $1,000 and I think it would be a hard to beat in that price range.

I don't have a lot of data to backup the following assumptions, but they are founded on some internet research I did a few years ago when I was looking for something to power my L250's. In terms of similarities, both the Pro and Consumer stuff from the early-mid 80's (which I'm most familiar) with share the same basic interal design. With the Consumer line you get RCA inputs, LED power meters and multiple speaker outs. On the Pro side you get Analog (or no) power meters, XLR and 1/4" inputs and a single pair of speaker outs. Most are bridgeable and I think the consumer models are too. Aside from those differences, the Pro units are built heavier and use more metal in the faceplate (for rack mounting) and heat sinks (for extended periods of full-throttle usage).

What I saw in my search - that continues to this day - is that the 260W PC2002M/PC2602M (slightly newer with fan-assisted cooling) rarely exceed $250 used while the M80/M85 equivalents sell for $400-500. Now consider that the Pro units were almost twice the price new and something doesn't make sense. It's simple I think - most people just don't know about the Pro units and therefore they don't bring a lot of money in resale. People doing pro sound now don't necessarily want a 50lb behemoth when something with half the weight can produce twice (or more) the power.

Just to sum up, the keepers I know about are:

PC2002M - 260w/channel
PC4002M - 410w/channel
PC5002M - 500w/channel (dual mono construction)
PC2602M - 260w/channel (fan cooling)

But don't take my word for it - buy one yourself and check it out. Here's one for $199 that probably won't go above $300 when all's said and done. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and get every penny back out of it. I've held my tongue and debated about whether I was going to spread the word about these things. I don't know why I waited so long since I'm not hording them in my basement or anything :) .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23787&item=3779077109&rd=1

For record I paid $212 (including shipping!) for my PC2002M 3 years ago and $210 for a PC2602M a year later.

They will not be resold...

jblnut

paragon
01-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, this are very fine good looking pro power amps for low money you bought !!
Really ! I love the 2002M and 5002M.
He also has a pair of L200 for sale. Why does nobody clean up the parts before taking a pic ??? That looks like sh..

Eckhard

jblnut
02-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Why does nobody clean up the parts before taking a pic ??? That looks like sh..

Eckhard

Hey - SSSSHHHHH....

I LOVE sellers that leave items dirty - it keeps the price down !!! Auctions that end at odd times are great too, as are new sellers with very little feedback. The risk is higher but so is the reward if things go ok....

jblnut

majick47
02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
JBLNUT I did consider the Yamaha pro amps but was unsure after reading about the old Crown amps and thought the Yamaha amps might also be risky with "home" audio equipment. I'm still a novice, plug and play, but everyone has been great answering my questions no matter how "basic". Just wondering if it would be possible to bridge my two MX-2000 amps? Also the Yamaha CX-2000 preamp has outputs for two amps if that helps.

Steve Gonzales
02-01-2005, 01:53 PM
My Yamaha C70 has two sets of preamp outputs, regular and inverted. does your pre have the same set-up?

majick47
02-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Steve Gonzales you might be interested, saw a pair of L220 lenses on ebay. The Boston blizzard was just a "dusting" compared to the snow Dave gets in upstate NY.

majick47
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Steve I'm uncertain, the CX-2000 has a ton of ins and outs, I'll have to read/deciphar the owners manual again and let you know.

jblnut
02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
JBLNUT I did consider the Yamaha pro amps but was unsure after reading about the old Crown amps and thought the Yamaha amps might also be risky with "home" audio equipment. I'm still a novice, plug and play, but everyone has been great answering my questions no matter how "basic". Just wondering if it would be possible to bridge my two MX-2000 amps? Also the Yamaha CX-2000 preamp has outputs for two amps if that helps.

I suppose there's risk with any used audio purchase in terms of reliablity. All depends on what it was used for and who was taking care of it (or not). Unless you're talking about the risk of 60hz hum which seems to rear its ugly head when some people mix consumer (2-prong power cord) and pro (3-prong grounded cord) gear. I've never heard any hum on either of my systems that use pro amps with consumer gear but maybe I'm just lucky.

On the briding/preamp front what you would be doing is essentially this: turning each amp into a "mono" amp and using it to drive only one speaker. Check your owner's manual (or yamaha.com) to see if that amp is bridgeable. Most likely there's a swich on the back to enable it. If it is, you can use two amps (one for each channel) and double your power output. You would connect one amp to the right output from your preamp and one to the left. That second set of outputs on the preamp would only be used if you want to biamp/biwire your speakers. We'll skip the biamp/biwire discussion for now as it only adds confusion here and I don't think the L220 has provisions for it anyway.

Let us know how it works out...

jblnut

Steve Gonzales
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
If your preamp has regular and inverted, this is how you bridge the amps. We'll look the right channel. Take the regular right output and run it into the amps right input, then, take the right inverted output and run it into the amps left input. Take the positive SPEAKER teminal of the right channel and hook it to the positive of your speaker, then take the positive from the LEFT channel and connect it to your speakers negative input. Do the same thing to the other amp and speaker and you've just bridged your MX2000's. I talked to Yamaha and they told me not to and I did anyways, my M80's actually ran COOLER!! no sh*t!

BTW, if your amp has gain controls on them, after bridging them, run a test tone CD and balance the left and right gains by using the power meters. Each channel will be amplifying half of the signal and it is important to have each half equal.

majick47
02-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Steve just read your reply re bridging. Have to get ready to go to my brothers house for dinner and a listening session of his new Yamaha MX-1000u amp powering his 4311b speakers. I'm off tomorrow and will haul out the second MX-2000 amp and give it a try and let you know how it worked out. I'm sure my modified L200b can handle another 130 class a watts with ease.

Steve Gonzales
02-01-2005, 02:27 PM
The extra power is just icing on the cake, it's like a 427 Corvette going 80mph and a Chevette going 80mph, they both can do it but one is barely off idle and the other is about maxed out;)

majick47
02-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Got sidelined, cold turned into walking phneumonia, feeling a little better now. Read up on AudioKarma re Yamaha amps and according to Yamahalover they were not designed for bridging, no bridge switch on amps. Others suggested outboard device. These are all prior posts.

Steve Gonzales
02-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm happy to say that I've done it and I learned how to by reading the owner's manual for the matching Yamaha C80 or C70, I can't remember which. I called Yamaha and spoke to a guy there and asked if he knew how to bridge the M80's. He said "Yamaha doesn't recomend doing that". I would have stopped there but I remember in the early 80's, that my Bro bought the first pair of JBL L250's in Bakersfield along with 2 M70 200wpc Yamaha amps. He also had the C70 preamp. The dealer told him how to use the inverted pair of outputs to bridge these amps. Since then he bought an MX1000u and forgot how we did it. So, back to my conversation with the Yamaha guy; I wasn't going to give up so easy since I KNEW it could be done. I got online and found the Yamaha manual library and WA-LA, there it is in their own owner's guide. They made that extra inverted pair for exactly this purpose!. It clearly showed me how to do it. I then took a chance and found it works PERFECTLY and the amps run COOLER because only half the waveform is amplified by a channel. All I'm saying is that I actually did it and it worked fine. I can't say that the MX2000 will be the same as I have no experience with one, but any MX 600,800,1000,1000u,M40,45,50,60,65,70,80,85 will work in this configuration. I hope that this helps. You can normally find the inverted pair right next to the normal pre-out pair. Good luck with your Yamaha's;)

BTW, JBL's own BX63 crossover does the same thing, it sums the LF from the Left and Right channels then outputs it into a MONO normal and inverted pair, one is marked - and the other +, if you have an amp that is not set up with a switch to bridge or a dedicated bridged mono input like my old SAE P-250 did, you can use an otherwise unbridgable stereo amp to power a single B380 or B460.

majick47
02-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Steve I read your latest post re bridging Yamaha amps and if their is a will their is a way and you did it. I'm getting back on my feet and feeling a little better, before I read your latest post I decided to try something yesterday with the second amp. I wired the second MX-2000 amp directly to the two 136a woofers bypassing the LX200b crossover. The first amp is powering the LE85 horns and 2405 tweeters thru the LX200b and 3106 crossovers. Wasn't sure what results I would get but didn't figure I would do any harm. With one MX-2000 amp my modified L200b speakers were no slouches, plenty of clean volume that could easly fill my large listening room. To my surprise the sound was even larger, the bass deeper and the mid and high still as clean/tight as you could ever ask for. To my ears the speakers sounded like they had hit their stride and easly took the additional power without any distortion and getting ever more critical I feel that they sounded much fuller and the bass was now on a level with the midrange (LE85). I guess it's a crude way of biamping but now I'm wondering if maybe a pair of 4333b biampable crossovers would of been the way to go. As soon as I get time this weekend I'll try your instructions on bridging. Tomorrow I'm on the trail of another pair of large/vintage JBL speakers and I'll let you know if I'm sucessful with my latest find. Also visited my brother last week and listened to his 4311b speakers powered by his new Yamaha MX-1000u amp. They sounded excellent and he is very pleased with the amp. He also has a fairly large listening room and IMO the 4311b just don't have the bass like my L200b. Anyways appreciate all the info re bridging the amps and will update ASAP.

majick47
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Mission accomplished in NH, rescued another pair of L200b speakers. All original components, 136a/LE85/LX200b. Cabinets painted black and had holes for wall/ceiling mounting but after seeing the restorations members have done on cabinets I feel I can get them looking very presentable again even if they are still painted black. Fired them up and they sound fine, the LE85 are clean with no distortion. The 136a woofer cones look original with a recent refoaming and sound ok but I'm sure new 2235 cones would make a noticable difference.

Zilch
02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
I hope you're following the "Quick and Dirty 4430" project thread. We may have some cool upgrade options for your to consider there shortly. I'd sure like to know how whatever we come up with compares with conversion to three-way.... :)

hwirt
02-12-2005, 12:42 PM
I also own a pair of L220's since 1980, power them with a MC-2300 amp that I purchased around the same time. Wondering if anyone has a copy of this technical report:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61381&item=5746316289&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Would like to know whats in it if anyone knows.

Thanks,

Heath

4313B
02-12-2005, 01:33 PM
We could use that Engineering Staff Report for the Library/Technical Reference Section.

It's similar to these:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12

majick47
02-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Zilch I have been following the thread with great interest and will continue to do so for ideas on utilizing my second pair of L200b. Again I'm very greatful to you and all the other members who were so helpful in providing the info and encouragement to rebuild my first set of L200b speakers into quasi L300. At this point I'm leaning towards running both sets of speakers side by side but not necessarly in the same configuration. Not sure what model JBL I could compare the four L200b speakers to but with four (4) 136a woofers (reconed with 2235)they should put out some impressive bass. I'll keep you updated and eventually post some pictures after I get a new PC.