PDA

View Full Version : L100 - Which Way is UP?

wally44
01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Just noticed something while browsing various bits on interesting information on the Lansing Heritage website... The L100 is shown in the original catalogue illustrations with the low-frequency speaker at the top. This is, of course quite the opposite to what we see in 2004/5, and how they are presented in the Project May "Raffle" illustration, where the L100s are presented with woofer at the bottom.
Maybe it doesn't matter which way is up - but does anyone know what JBL had in mind orientation-wise for the L100? To my way of thinking a lot of the higher frequencies would be lost if the tweeter was close to the floor. Am I wrong?
Of course the L100 is designated a bookshelf speaker, so maybe it should go sideways!!! - and not on the floor at all...

muddyspeaker
01-23-2005, 10:58 PM
To facillitate the enumeration of a correct response, I would suppose knowledge of the audiences orientation is required. Are you playing chess or doing yoga?
Actually, in my humble and amateur opinion, it seems the mid and high drivers are oriented to the center of the speaker pair. I would expect the L100's to be normally floor located and the bass driver is at the bottom. The studio monitor version was frequently mounted elevated and thus inverted. The mid and high drivers would still have been centered unless there was something very strange about the studio or the technician.
Regards
Muddy

wally44
01-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Does that mean - when "the studio monitor version was frequently mounted elevated and thus inverted" - that the technicians were yogaholics?

muddyspeaker
01-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Good one.