PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck on EBay

Butch Adams
01-19-2005, 05:20 PM
I purchased two 2405's on ebay and both of them were damaged in shipping. Anyone have restoration suggestions for reattaching the horn throat, removing gouges, and refinishing the metal?

Robh3606
01-19-2005, 05:40 PM
That Sucks:banghead:

Is that stuff inside the driver or just on the outside. What is it?? Have any idea?? In case you don't know those 4 screws remove the damaged assembly.

Rob:)

Butch Adams
01-19-2005, 05:57 PM
The units still work, just look bad. The 2405's were the last components I needed to finish reasembling the old 4333 boxes I saved from a local hacker 25yrs ago.
Thanks for your input.

Alex Lancaster
01-19-2005, 06:05 PM
:) Butch: I´m in the middle of refinishing some 2405's, sanding, painting, new diaphragms, Your Pic looks like they were lying in water for about 10 Years, You will need new "horns", those are way beyond repair.

Mr. Widget
01-19-2005, 06:05 PM
You can order brand new 2405 horns and inner wedges from JBL. They are actually fairly reasonable too. Give JBL parts a call and inquire.

(818) 894-8850

Widget

Zilch
01-19-2005, 06:16 PM
2405 component parts are here:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Discrete%20Sales%20Models/2405H.pdf

honist_bob
01-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi Butch: Don't neglect your other options: You say the driver was damaged during shipping--was there insurance? Or did the seller commit fraud? (Surely the driver didn't look like that in the ebay listing.)

Going after the seller is a long and involved process, though. You're probably better off just taking the loss and using your time to order a new part to bolt on--as Mr. Widget and others have suggested.

Charley Rummel
01-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Hi, Butch:

Don't forget to leave negative feedback on the dude's record if you haven't already done so. I agree with Alex Lancaster in that there is some obvious long term damage there. I'd say you're definitely a Bait and Switch victim.:smsex:

Regards,
Charley

Steve Schell
01-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi Butch,

I'm not too familiar with the construction of this model tweeter, but it looks to me as though one of the throat pieces has been knocked off, and the gnarly substance we see is just the glue that held it in place. Is this the case, and do you have the missing piece? If so you should be able to remove the old glue with acetone or MEK and glue the piece back in place. Chips and nicks can be filled with CA glue, filed to dimension and painted over. I'd say that Krylon semi-flat black would be about right to restore the original appearance. Don't use those horrid little 1/10,000 ounce tubes of supermarket CA glue; larger bottles of high quality glue in several thicknesses are available at hobby shops.

Audiobeer
01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Butch, there is no excuse for the damaged drivers. An item that small should arrive without any problems! What a shame!

Steve Schell
01-19-2005, 10:04 PM
So many ebayers don't know how or just don't care enough to pack correctly. Heavy drivers like JBLs need to be isolated from the box exterior, and from each other, by 3" of firmly fitted styrofoam at a bare minimum. I have received heavy drivers several times where they were wrapped with a single layer of bubble wrap and placed loose in a cardboard box... great. You know you are in trouble when a box arrives in the shape of a soccer ball, with the contents shifting around inside. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and don't leave negative feedback for this, but I do write to them and explain packing basics.

John
01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear about what happened and i hope you did not pay too much for them. As far as repairing the horn from what i have heard jbl just glued those side pieces in there with epoxy. The outer rim is the same as used in the bullet with the side pieces glued on and the bullet redesigned as a slot. I would spend a few extra dollars and get some auto trim paint that is designed for the alum. trim on the older cars before everything turned to plastic. This paint is claimed to have better grip on alum. Overall i think it does,but i prefer it as it has that nice flat finish with just the right amount of sheen.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif

scott fitlin
01-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi, Butch:

Don't forget to leave negative feedback on the dude's record if you haven't already done so. I agree with Alex Lancaster in that there is some obvious long term damage there. I'd say you're definitely a Bait and Switch victim.:smsex:

Regards,
CharleyAnd POOR Packing is the WORST neg feedback you can leave for a seller, Items arrived cracked, and broken due to improper packing!

:banghead:

paragon
01-20-2005, 02:53 PM
When i bid on an item price goes up very high.
Next week or later the same item goes for very low money.:baby:
What i am doing wrong ??:D

Eckhard

Butch Adams
01-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

Zilch
01-20-2005, 03:05 PM
What i am doing wrong ??It is YOU driving the price up, quite obviously.

You should cultivate the skill of being cheap, like the rest of us.... :p

scott fitlin
01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
It is YOU driving the price up, quite obviously.

You should cultivate the skill of being cheap, like the rest of us.... :pDont bid on an item until the last minute if you want it as cheaply as possible! Wait, and then in the very last few seconds of the auction, snipe it! This works, and keeps others from bidding you up over the course of a few days!

:D

louped garouv
01-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Dont bid on an item until the last minute if you want it as cheaply as possible! Wait, and then in the very last few seconds of the auction, snipe it! This works, and keeps others from bidding you up over the course of a few days!

:D

damm snipers got a set of 4312s from me a few weeks ago.........
I agree that this is THE way to Ebay (on the cheap) :blah: