PDA

View Full Version : b460

sticksmiller
01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I bought a jbl b460 at an auction. I need to know how to hook it up to my receiver

4313B
01-19-2005, 03:12 PM
What is the brand/model number of the receiver?

sticksmiller
01-19-2005, 03:21 PM
technics sa ex300

Zilch
01-19-2005, 03:24 PM
1) If your receiver includes a subwoofer amplifier (not likely), just connect it and enjoy.

2) If your receiver has a subwoofer preamp output, you'll need an additional amplifier connected to that to drive the B460. The brochure (in the library) recommends a minimum 200 Watts power capacity.

3) If your receiver has neither of the above, but has preamplifier outputs (which vary with volume adjustment), you'll need a subwoofer crossover to sum the two channels and feed only the low-frequency signals to a separate amplifier as in 2), above. JBL made the BX63(A) crossover specifically for the B380/B460 for this purpose. One just sold on eBay for $109.

4) If your receiver has none of the above, you can similarly feed the crossover, amp, and B460 with the tape output signals from it, but you'll have to control the subwoofer volume from the separate crossover or amp, as the tape outputs don't vary with receiver volume setting.

5) Alternatively, you can purchase a subwoofer crossover/amplifier which will operate from either preamp outputs or speaker outputs to drive the B460.

I see Giskard is answering you as well. He'll very likely have some more specific recommendations, and good advice as to the optimum approach. :)

sticksmiller
01-19-2005, 03:31 PM
My receiver does have a subwoofer output. I also have another receiver so maby I can use it

Zilch
01-19-2005, 03:40 PM
The power requirements for successfully driving a B460 are substantial. Not many receivers can do it. Plan on purchasing a separate power amp to run it. For about $150, you can obtain something like JBL 6260 on eBay, which you'll operate in bridged mono mode to deliver the requisite power.

It'll shake the house nicely, with minimal distortion. :D

B460 is rare and quite beautiful. You're lucky to have scored one....