PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a new member

Greg Roberts
01-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Just wanted to say hi to everyone here. I'm new to the Lansing Heritage forum.

I'm usually hanging out over at the Klipsch 2-channel forum at www.klipsch.com (http://www.klipsch.com) a very active forum with a bunch of real nice guys.

I've always been a Klipschophile for as long as I knew what a speaker was, about 28 years now. I've been a Pittsburgh Steelers fan just as long.

I've always had an appreciation for the older JBL speakers. The quality of the drivers is what I really like. Great American speaker construction.

I'm the lucky owner of a pair of L100's and a pair of 4311's, and I'll be restoring these two pairs of speakers over the next couple of months. I thought some of you here might be interested in following the webpage that I've made up for the restoration project. www.dcchomes.com/JBL.html (http://www.dcchomes.com/JBL.html)

I'm not doing a complete restoration, nor am I doing a faithful one. I'm doing what makes me happy, because it is just a hobby for me, one that gets me away from working all the time. But I will be doing some extensive work on the L100's, with a complete re-veneer in Sapele wood. I hope you enjoy the webpage.

Greg

Ian Mackenzie
01-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Greg,

You are most welcome.

Your pages are most impressive. One day I will veneer my diy JBL's, I'm sure your instructions will prove very useful.

Ian

Zilch
01-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi, Greg, and welcome aboard!

I can't get to page 2 of your website for some reason today, but that's a couple of nice projects you've got going on there. You may want to review the L100 restoration several regulars worked on here for our raffle.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2794

For example, one member has replicated the original foam grilles and sells them here. Looks like your frames are all ready for them! The ones you removed were likely from Radio Shack, which had imitations available up until a couple of years ago.

I'm interested in the reveneering process you're doing as well, so I'll check back for more info on how it's accomplished here!

Greg Roberts
01-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Thank you Zilch and Ian.

I don't have the second page yet, sorry for the empty link. Hopefully it will be there soon.

I learned about an interesting way to veneer from an article in Fine Woodworking magazine and I've tried it on a few speakers with pretty good luck. I'm having a little trouble with bubbling and will need to keep working on the system. This link has the most detail on that system: www.dcchomes.com/Heresy.html (http://www.dcchomes.com/Heresy.html)

I'm not planning to use the original grill frames on the L100's, I have a different strategy in mind. You'll just have to wait and see! :)

Greg

Mr. Widget
01-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Welcome aboard Greg!

I too have been a Klipschionado myself. I am more interested in the man, the myth, and the lore than the product though. Maybe we will be able to show you what can be accomplished with some of the high quality drivers in the Lansing stable.

I particularly like this shot on your Heresy thread. :thmbsup:

Widget

Robh3606
01-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Hello Greg

Welcome aboard!

Rob:)

Triumph Don
01-15-2005, 09:40 PM
I Was raised in Cleveland, now reside [30 yrs] in Cincinnati. Hate the Steelers. Always have, always will. Never owned a Klipsh, never will. And I'm Irish.

Anyway, welcome aboard! Feel the love?

Ken Pachkowsky
01-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Are ya sure ya want to join this group of misfits?

Enjoy!

scott fitlin
01-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Welcome aboard!

:D

paragon
01-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Yes, welcome,

We all want to know about Klipsch and similar old high power speakers ever build. Klipsch, the man who build the first low response cornerhorn.:D
Still working today in many living rooms.
You´re really welcome !:)

Eckhard

Greg Roberts
01-17-2005, 07:40 PM
You guys really know how to make a newbie feel welcome!

Page 2 is up now.

Greg

mikebake
01-17-2005, 08:44 PM
I Was raised in Cleveland, now reside [30 yrs] in Cincinnati. Hate the Steelers. Always have, always will. Never owned a Klipsh, never will. And I'm Irish.

Anyway, welcome aboard! Feel the love?

Browns fan here, supposed to hate the Steelers; kinda like Cowers, and now Rothlisberger is a hometown boy; I knew his mom.............kinda hard not to root for them now...........unless they are playing Cleveland.

Titanium Dome
01-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Browns fan here, supposed to hate the Steelers; kinda like Cowers, and now Rothlisberger is a hometown boy; I knew his mom.............kinda hard not to root for them now...........unless they are playing Cleveland.

Born in Toledo, bought my first JBLs (L100 Centuries) at Woodville Appliance, went to grad school at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, and spent a dissolute summer in Bar Harbor, Maine. There, tied it all together.

Welcome to the forum. :bouncy:

Greg Roberts
02-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Bump to let you all know that new pictures are up on my JBL 4311/L100 refinishing webpage.

www.dcchomes.com/JBL.html (http://www.dcchomes.com/JBL.html)
Greg

JBLROCKS
02-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Beautiful job with the re-veneering the Klipsch's!!!

:applaud: :applaud: :cheers:

John
02-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Greg I have to say your attention to detail,is outstanding. I am very impressed:applaud: When you wrap the grain around and over the edge,it looks like a solid block of wood:bouncy:

Steve Gonzales
02-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Great work and presentation Greg. Very useful information too. Welcome to the LHS!. I really liked what you said about the total cost being steep for some but you really made sense when you said what a quality pair of speakers in an exotic wood will cost these days, so true. Thank you for sharing.

Dbryant
02-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Funny how some things bring people together.

I posted here to find out about some 940's I bought and traded for from Greg. JBLNut gave me a great description of his pr.

Greg gave me a tour of his shop and I saw some of his work. He has a great eye for woodworking and his restoration projects are very well done. I have a new JBL 7.1 set-up for music and HT, but after seeing and hearing some of Greg's work-made me most interested in the older speakers.

If he sells any stuff on this site-Greg was very honest and I would not hesitate to deal with him again.

The only gripe is now knowing he is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan:biting: . How can a Mainer be a Steelers fan?

Regis
02-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Welcome aboard. You'll enjoy the site and the regulars. The best thing about being a Klipsch man is at least you'll get some kind of respect from the JBL-philes. After my roommate told me our neighbor had a vintage tube Marantz reciever, I decided to ask him about his system a few months ago. We got through the reciever, the CD player and then when speakers came up, he said the "B" word. That killed it right there and then. There was a sudden chill in the air between us, when the "Bose" word got mentioned. I had to tell him I had vintage JBL. 'Well, have a nice day'. "You too". That was the last time we ever spoke about audio. I've always wanted to audition some of the bigger Klipsch speakers, especially the La Scala.