PDA

View Full Version : 130As

analogman
01-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Another member suggested not pushing these too hard as to their fragile nature/age. Mine are original with no treatment on the "surrounds". What he said makes perfect sense and I am not debating his points, I just want my cake and to eat it too. Is there a general consensus or experience with regards to their durability. Should I heed his thoughtful advice and retire them as collectables? They are in imaculate condition and the pleats in the surrounds LOOK well with no visible signs of fatigue or cracking. I love these as my daily players, but I don't want to cause them harm. Am I in denial? Please share your opinions.
Regards,
Analogman

JBL Dog
01-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Another member suggested not pushing these too hard as to their fragile nature/age. Mine are original with no treatment on the "surrounds". What he said makes perfect sense and I am not debating his points, I just want my cake and to eat it too. Is there a general consensus or experience with regards to their durability. Should I heed his thoughtful advice and retire them as collectables? They are in imaculate condition and the pleats in the surrounds LOOK well with no visible signs of fatigue or cracking. I love these as my daily players, but I don't want to cause them harm. Am I in denial? Please share your opinions.
Regards,
Analogman

Analogman:

The Metregon you see in my avatar was origianlly outfitted with a 201 component system, or "two-times" the 001 system you have. The 130A's were driven their entire life by a McIntosh MC240 tube amp. The drivers are 40 years old and in perfect condition... no rubs, tears or cracks in the surround. I don't see any reason to store them if you enjoy them so much. If you've had them this long and they are still in great shape, me thinks you should continue doin' what you're doin' and enjoy the sweet sound!

JMHO :D

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

analogman
01-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Thank you JBL Dog, you know that's what I wanted to hear :bouncy: . Do your 130s have any treatment on the surrounds or are they "dry" like mine? Beautiful system by the way!
Analogman

analogman
01-18-2005, 08:06 PM
No one besides JBL Dog willing to give me an opinion or advice? If I didn't respect (and own) JBL, or if I enjoyed the level of knowledge you guys possess, I wouldn't be asking the question. This is a cold place.
Analogman

Robh3606
01-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Well asside from the obvious like a 20/30Hz highpass filter to keep the subsonic garbage out of them??? I have never owned a pair or have experience with untreated paper surrounds. Not much else I can say.

Rob:)

transducergeek
01-19-2005, 12:03 AM
I am not experienced personally with D130A's but an old friend is, and I recall him telling me "the 130 is among the most efficient speakers ever made" it is designed for small amounts of watts, and is made with lightweight materials, Aluminum VC, I think, no "mass added" to the thin "exponential" cone, it is made for about 25 watts max as I recall. It was designed in the the 1940's to use the expensive and precious few watts available then, and make them go as far as possible. Remember, they were born when 15 watts was a nice amount of power. Keep it reasonable with the power, and enjoy them for what they are, sensitive classics... The model 140 was made for more power, which later on was available, and have copper V.C. But are less efficient.. Am I wrong? I will learn from "my masters" if they can add anything to what I have said. Rolf Erickson.

analogman
01-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Hello again,
I never drive them hard (read ABUSE) power wise, the following are the statements which concern me most:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah I sure wouldn't pay anything near that amount of money. The paper edge 130As always seem to eventually fail. If I were after that type of driver I would get a pair of 2220s and have them remaged and reconed. With that you will get the most bang for the buck.

If you are after original 130As as a collector... well that's a different story.

Widget
and:

The surrounds in the earliest ones were untreated paper. After years of stress the paper tends to tear at the surround.

Widget

The above were lifted from the thread "130A's for $709" in Marketplace. These statements are the basis for my concern. Is there in fact a "pattern failure" with these drivers due to age and "paper fatigue", even when driven responsibly? Once again, I respect and covet the intrinsic value attached to this pair of untouched transducers and do not want my love for their sound to harm them in anyway. Thank you again for your patience.
With regards and thanks,
Analogman

analogman
01-26-2005, 11:25 AM
? Any insight from collectors or reconers would be greatly appreciated!

Analogman

Charley Rummel
01-26-2005, 08:05 PM
The D130 and the 130A were indeed a product which gave the most for the relatively small amps of their day. I have two rear loaded folded horns (a C34 and a C40 up ended) in our family room, both containing the 001 system, and they can really soar on the 35 watts RMS each one gets from it's own Bogen DB130 (130-aint it ironic?) tube amp.

The last time I had them open was around 2001 or so, and so far, so good. No cracks. And, they've been through some heavy parties in their day. The 175DLH in the C34 did get a new diaphram around 1980 after a run-in with a Fender Dual Showman during a party....

Regards,
Charley

Harvey Gerst
01-27-2005, 10:06 AM
The 130A woofer had a copper voice coil, a paper* dome, and a paper* surround. As long as the paper* is not exposed to heat and sunlight, it should not dry out enough to crack. The viscous "goop" helps prevent dying out, although it was first used on the D123 to prevent drying out and venting thru the cloth surround.

* It would probably be more accurate to say pulp instead of paper when referring to speaker cones, domes, and surrounds.

As far as power handling, JBL's of that period are known for their efficiency, and they can get pretty loud with just a few watts. They should also have no problems dealing with a 30 to 100 watt power amp as long as you don't run the amps to where you hear clipping (and, of course, avoid subsonic thumps and HF oscillations).

analogman
01-28-2005, 01:12 PM
The 130A woofer had a copper voice coil, a paper* dome, and a paper* surround. As long as the paper* is not exposed to heat and sunlight, it should not dry out enough to crack. The viscous "goop" helps prevent dying out, although it was first used on the D123 to prevent drying out and venting thru the cloth surround.

* It would probably be more accurate to say pulp instead of paper when referring to speaker cones, domes, and surrounds.

As far as power handling, JBL's of that period are known for their efficiency, and they can get pretty loud with just a few watts. They should also have no problems dealing with a 30 to 100 watt power amp as long as you don't run the amps to where you hear clipping (and, of course, avoid subsonic thumps and HF oscillations).

Thank you so much for your time and response. My 130As don't have the "goop", that was part of my concern.
Thank you again, Mr.Gerst,
Analogman