PDA

View Full Version : s38vs3811

oldschool
01-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone,i have a pair of s3811,and they sound nice for what theyare.But i was reading in one of the av forums,that the 11 series is a cheaper verson of first series s38.I thought no this can't be,so i went to the jbl site and went to parts for these two speakers.To my surprise internal parts for the first series was at least twice the cost compared to the s 3811.the speakers of both series retailed 599.00 a pair.So i emailed jbl,they told me that the front baffle plate is part of it,maybe but it doesn't cover the woffer,or network.the woffer is around 95.00 on the first s 38 and 45.00 dollars on 3811.Maybe i could understand some price difference but more then double,of all the internals.Like i said i like this speaker,but now i have get a s38 somewhere and dare to compare.Dennis:blink:

Don McRitchie
01-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the price disparity for parts. The "II" series is still in production so there is the economy of scale in large ongoing production runs. Parts for the original series are either left over from the original production into which they have to factor in inventory costs or they are made in small, costly batches.

oldschool
01-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Thats a good point. Thanks Dennis