PDA

View Full Version : L-110's in for service....

2pair
01-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Well I brought my garage sale L-110's in today... Theyr'e in for new foam on the woofs and new/rebuilt tweeters and/or crossover work. He didn't seem to think he'd be able to find parts for the 033's. If I have to use a different model tweeter, any suggestions?
He even used the words 'aftermarket parts' :blink: I pretented I didn't hear him and told him I wanted to try and stay with NOS or at least a diff. model jbl tweeter.
Anyway...my point is I'd like to know a little more what I'm talking about when he says" such and such model will fit but...etc" I do't want to be caught unprepared. :thnkfast:

I've been following the postings here about (or is it aboot?) the L-110 and I can't wait to hear 'em. :bouncy: I only paid $80, mind you they need a little love ( and cash)

:offtopic: Hey...!? How's the raffle going?

Dave :slink:

Don McRitchie
01-14-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm curious. Where did you take them for service?

Don McRitchie
01-14-2005, 03:25 PM
That seems to have done it:

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

2pair
01-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I took 'em to Creative Audio. And would you believe he has already called me back to say he had a pair of 033 in the basement....! So the damage was new foam for the woofs, crossover was good, 2 new tweets...$340+Tx sounds ok to me.....:dont-know I'm not sure I wanted him to be so fast...payday is still a week away..
He offered me a pair of R103's .Theyr'e instead of a beatup pair of Energy speakers I brought in for a cheap refit for my daughter to beat up...anyway, R103 whats the word on them? I'm trying to get the manual of the site but it wont open.

Don McRitchie
01-14-2005, 04:35 PM
That would be from the Radience Series of the early 80's. As one of the JBL product magangers from that era told me - "I've heard better sound on elevators". His opinion is not alone. I've heard the same sentiment from others that are familiar with them.

2pair
01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
....so your saying I should leave them there...? :rotfl:

LE15-Thumper
01-14-2005, 05:46 PM
I'll give you $125.00 for them right now ! I am in Winnipeg too !:bouncy:

Don McRitchie
01-15-2005, 08:17 AM
I think I'll have to delete Giskard's post since he had the audacity to butt into an all Winnipeg thread. The L110's should be left with me for disposal since they are unmitigated junk. The R103's are all that you need.:deal:

All kidding aside, as others have indicated, the L110 is one of the best bookshelf systems made by JBL. It was their first to be designed using Theile Small parameters. It never gained the respect it deserved because of the misconception that its 10" bass driver wasn't the equal of 12" driver used in its famous predecessor, the L100. The truth of the matter is that bass response of the L110 is both deeper and more accurate than the L100.

The R103 is another story. The Radience Series was developed shortly after JBL was sold to Beatrice Foods. It was strictly a marketing decision to have JBL develop their most inexpensive speakers yet produced in an attempt to gain market share. All of the engineers from that era that I have talked to state that this system was the most compromised speaker ever developed up to that time to have the JBL name attached. One former executive even cited the development of that series as being representative of then deteriorating management evironment that led him to leave the company.

2pair
01-15-2005, 01:34 PM
I have the tweeters from Creative already today...I guess 'new' means different things to different people. they were used, very used. Sound OK but I can actually see where someone used a pin to lift the domes back up on them.....
Ahh well :banghead: ...they work, and 'only' 60$ each. Now I wait for the foam job :bouncy:

...and Don, leave GisKard alone on this one this time, I think he might have seniority on me....:D

LE15-Thumper
01-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I have the tweeters from Creative already today...I guess 'new' means different things to different people. they were used, very used. Sound OK but I can actually see where someone used a pin to lift the domes back up on them.....
Ahh well http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/banghead.gif ...they work, and 'only' 60$ each. Now I wait for the foam job http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

...and Don, leave GisKard alone on this one this time, I think he might have seniority on me....http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Just to clairify; I think they meant "new tweeters" as in replacing the old ones with new ones as a figure of speech. They wouldn't tell you "new parts" knowing that they are NLA.