PDA

View Full Version : Are They JBL?

analogman
01-13-2005, 04:31 PM
I have wondered this ever since I got them. My Apollo cabinets have NO identifying badges or markings of any kind. There is no badge or emblem on the grills. They are constructed of a heavy particle board/MDF type material with walnut veneer. The overall fit and finish is excellent, obviously built in someone's factory or a VERY organized and skilled DIYer. The small mounting boards for the N1200s are very precise and accurate in location and fit. Baffle was painted the blue/grey like early Lansing drivers. The grill frames have NO slots cut on the sides though, and are made of plywood. Grill cloth is tan/with the sparkly gold thread running through it. Appear to have been assembled with a nail gun of sorts and glue. My owner's manuals for the drivers are identified Publication CA-1 and CAI-2 respectively. One N1200 has the screw type hookup, the other has the spring loaded posts. The cut out for the 130A was a hack job, probably done by the owner, but the cut out for the 175 and the port are very precise. The mounting baffle for the 175 is plywood and attaches to blocks behind the main front baffle. Did JBL ever sell/distribute totally BLANK cabinets? I don't have a digital camera so for now I can't provide pictures. Can anyone help me to identify these as genuine JBL cabinets, or a high quality clone/copy. This pair came from an estate and I do know the cabinets and driver's were all from the original owners. Can anyone offer any insight? Thank you very much.
With regards,
Analogman

Zilch
01-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Apollos mostly came with fretwork grilles, like Olympus. It may be they were damaged and someone fabricated replacements.

If there were factory cloth grilles, I'd expect them to be open on the sides....

Is the baffle board tilted back? If so, suspect a Pacific Stereo clone:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2868&highlight=Colossus

Tweedy grilles would be definitive....

analogman
01-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Apollos mostly came with fretwork grilles, like Olympus. It may be they were damaged and someone fabricated replacements.

If there were factory cloth grilles, I'd expect them to be open on the sides....

Thanks Zilch,
I did some research here and found that the Apollo came with two style cabinets, the C51-1 and the C51-2 if memory serves. The C51-1 was the plain jane with cloth, the C51-2 cost more and had the fretwork grills, as you pointed out. Thanks.
Analogman

Mr. Widget
01-13-2005, 05:39 PM
The C51 was also available with 12" woofers. Yours was probably "upgraded". You may want to check the tuning as it may not be ideal for your woofer.

Widget

analogman
01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
The C51 was also available with 12" woofers. Yours was probably "upgraded". You may want to check the tuning as it may not be ideal for your woofer.

Widget

I asked about box tuning in one of my first posts. I needed dimensions for a duct, as my baffle just has a rectangular opening, no duct. I have played around with ducts of various sizes made of balsa and PCV with some improvements. When I originally posted about ports/ducts, I was asked to provide exact dimensions and I never did. I am disabled and have as of yet been able to drag them out from their spots and remove the drivers for exact measuring. If anyone could suggest a duct spec presuming they are to factory specs dimension wise it would be greatly appreciated.
Zilch, the fronts do not slope and the light brown cloth is "tweedy" with the LIGHT gold thread running through it.
Thank you for your input,
Analogman

analogman
01-13-2005, 06:39 PM
They are a bit thin in the bass.
I would also invite suggestions on the best method to brace the cabinets

I am an auto mechanic by trade, fuel, electrical and emissions primarily. I have done some very nice restorations/refurbish jobs on various vintage speakers, if I may say so, but my ability is limited to mainly cosmetic and simple parts upgrades. I have fabricated grill frames, refinished boxes, that sort of thing. I love to make them beautiful again. My technical knowledge is very basic, but I am capable of execution if given clear instructions to follow. I take pride in my workmanship, but I lack the specialized knowledge, tools and experience you men possess.
Thanks for your help,
Analogman

analogman
01-14-2005, 02:20 PM
One last clue. The grills are held inplace with four nylon (white), ribbed "studs" which are on the baffle. On the grill are four corresponding clips made of metal, a circle of small spring "fingers" which grab the ribbed stud on the cabinet. Thank you all again.
With regards,
Analogman

analogman
01-26-2005, 11:22 AM
? Would really appreciate your help!

Analogman