PDA

View Full Version : speaker identification?

rk's
01-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi ,just recieved a pair of jbl speakers that I can't identify. I can't find the model number anywhere.It's a 2 way speaker system. The woofer Serial#127a,next to it, is a stamped #737 ,and the tweeter serial # is 033,next to it also is the stamped # 737. I can't see any #'s on the crossover. The dimensions of the cabinet are, H-23",W-15",L-11". The inside is well insulated. The cable connections in the back are a locking type.where you insert the cable and turn the knob to the right to lock,left to release. I know it's very little information to go on but it's all I have at this time. I'll try and post some pictures. Any information well be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve Gonzales
01-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Sounds like an L40 to me

Hofmannhp
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Sounds like an L40 to me

I think Steve is right......L40
if it looks like this?

HP

rk's
01-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks alot guys!! By the way,what do you think of these speakers? Are they worth repairing? The rubber or foam around the woofer needs replacing and the tweeter has a couple of dents,but everythiing else seems to be in very good condition. I have'nt tried them yet ,for fear that I might damage something. Right now I have a pair of Lx-55,are they comparable?

GordonW
01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Yep, as long as everything plays, I'd definitely fix the woofers. That's a standard 127A woofer- I've re-foamed (with replacement surrounds) LOTS of those for people, and it's a very straight-forward repair job.

In all, the L40 is a good, solid, basic speaker system. Probably pretty comparable to the LX55; the L40 will probably have a little better bass, while the LX55 will probably be a little better in the mids...

Regards,
Gordon.

John
01-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I bought a pair of those for my son for $100.00 with refoamed woofers. Hooked them up with a cary tube amp and gave them a taste test for a few days.
I thought that they imaged quite well and had a nice balanced sound. As far as a bookshelf speaker goes i think if the price is reasonable, as it was in my case it is a good buy.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif

rk's
01-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Alright, think i'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for your help, Especially the picture.It made identification easy.

Zilch
01-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Check previous threads using "Search" for "Dented dome" or similar. It's possible to pull the dents in the tweeters out with vacuum, tape, needle, etc., using the various techniques documented here.

L40's a nice system. You'll learn how to do surrounds in the process! :thmbsup:

johnaec
01-13-2005, 06:42 PM
There's a single 033 that looks to be in good shape on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5744214151&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

John

Steve Gonzales
01-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Believe it or not, i have taken the dents out these 033's by taking the thing apart and pushing the dome out. For some good reason, they have always gone back together fine. There is wiggle room though and this must be done with caution! One of the 033's have pretty good adhesion between the dome/diaphagm and the magnet/motor so, it was a slow process of gently prying them apart. i suggest this only if you cannot live with the looks of it and also feel confident in doing this. If for some reason your 033 doesn't sound the same or distorted after you've done this, stop playing it immediately and take it to a speaker repair company and they will realign it for you. I've done this to 6 of them and haven't had a problem yet. Good Luck!

4313B
01-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Believe it or not, i have taken the dents out these 033's by taking the thing apart and pushing the dome out.Yes, the phenolic dome can usually be pushed back out just fine. I refrained from posting this solution as it requires a tone generator to properly assemble the unit back together. Sweep the tone generator from 200 to 1200 Hz and carefully adjust the mounting plate until all resonances cease. Some 033's can take awhile, others seem to go together without a hitch. ;) You should do this with a test network in series which consists of a 0.5mH inductor, 25 uF capacitor and 30 ohm resistor all in parallel with each other and in series with the 033. Additionally a 5 ohm resistor should run across the terminals of the 033. And you guys thought those folks at the Authorized JBL Service Centers were just screw-offs out to take your money. :p Ok, ok... I suppose it's possible some of them take short cuts... there's been plenty of posts on this forum maligning a few of them. Authorized JBL Service Centers are just like every other institution, once humans infest the joint it all goes to hell in short order. :D