PDA

View Full Version : JBL DSC 280. Anybody got one ?

JBLGUY
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey you JBLer's

Is anyone else out here using the JBL DSC 280 Processor too. I use one would like to get feedback on it from other users. Or how about the JBL DSC 260. the little brother to the 280. I ilke it once I got it figured out and setup correctly.

stevem
01-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm using a BSS Omnidrive Compact Plus FDS-366t. I think the JBL units are actually made by BSS (another Harmon company) and are very similar. I love my unit because of it's versatility and great sound. It's what makes it possible to easily combine different drivers seemlesly without being an expert crossover designer. The digital EQ is great, and doesn't have much in the way of any ill effects. The digital delay allows one to mount all the drivers on the same baffle, and still align them sonically.

johnaec
01-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I've got the JBL DSC260A and a DBX Driverack 260. The DBX is far more intuitive to use, at least for my needs, (live bass guitar). I plan on incorporating the DSC260A down the line for a custom home stereo setup I'm working on.

John

Oldmics
01-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Early ones were BSS388.About a year into production JBL changed some of the specs on the componets so they were no longer identical to the BSS.

These are compleatly different critters than the 260 and the sound is different between the two units.

There are better sounding digital unit availiable.Than what has been mentioned so far.

Oldmics

boputnam
01-11-2005, 01:38 PM
There are better sounding digital unit availiable.Than what has been mentioned so far. Now THAT was carefully written!!! :applaud:

My experience(s): digital EQ's = :barf:

You might get away with them in a live FOH application (but it shows distain for your audience... :scold: ) or on the monitor mixes (they can never hear the wedges anyway... :rotfl: ), but if you take the time and A/B against a quality 31-band analogue unit, you'll be amazed at the audible difference - even in FOH. Audiphile app's are even more problematic.

:blah:

scott fitlin
01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
As always, its up to the individual what pleases them, and sounds good to them!

Since im going to be trying a BSS 366T Compact Plus, Ill reserve judgement till after I see what I can do with it.

:)

JBLGUY
01-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Well my only experience is on my own setup and I am very pleased. I would have to say I agree with Stevem on everything he said. Very versatile and sound awsome. As far as passive Xover's go I wouldn't trade this for any I have heard.

stevem
01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I might add that I used a pair of JBL/Urei 5547A 1/3 octave EQs for years. When I went to the BSS unit, there was no going back. At the time, I was listening to 4430 clones with DIY copies of their crossovers using large gauge air-core coils and PP caps, which sounded very good. When I biamped the system using the BSS (at 48 db/octave), I was amazed at the improvement. I know everyone's tastes are different, and sometimes you can become "allergic" to a certain aspects of reproduced sound, but for me, in my room with my equipment, this unit has given me the best results. As always YMMV.:)

JBLGUY
01-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes Stevem Me too. This system has never sounded better and seems to outshine my Buddies setup wihich beleive me is no small potatoes but not multiamped like mine or yours. He know he need to mutiamp the sytem but need a little extra cash for this big upgrade.
Here's a picture of his !8 inch corner cabinets ( For sale Actually )

They sound superb:applaud:

Oldmics
01-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Quote from JBLGuy

"Well my only experience is on my own setup and I am very pleased."

And thats all that matters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just respectfully request that an open mind be kept so that as things progress in the world of technology you can try other pieces in your setup and evaluate them.

The journey for audio-nirvana is a long trek :beamup:
Oldmics

JBLGUY
01-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Well said Mics

JBLGUY
01-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey by the Way, is that little picture of the two Paragon's your system ? If not where did it come from. Sorry if you have had to answer this a thousand times:)

Oldmics
01-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Those were items that I did have and sold about two years ago now.

So now I only have

2-Paragons (consecutive serial #s)
2-Hartsfields (toploaders)
2-Bel-Aires (leftys-Damn JBL Dawg)
2-Minigons (1 with wood slats and 1 with grill cloth)
7-Harlans (many different speaker systems)
1-Metregon(150-4C speakers,375 drivers,075 tweeters)

Thought I would post a picture of why they call me Oldmics

JBLGUY
01-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Well that makes sense now. Bel-Airs ?anypics ? I can't remember what they are. Always love pics :dancin: :dancin: :cheers:

Oldmics
01-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Not a great shot-but you get the idea.

The grill is removed on the left side unit to show it"s componets

Mr. Widget
01-11-2005, 08:44 PM
So that is what a Paragon is for....:screwy:

Here is a better Bel-aire shot.

Widget

Alex Lancaster
01-11-2005, 08:49 PM
:) JBLGuy: Interesting the use of slats on the top and bottom of the horn; Any reason, apart from ease of construction?, kind of a Fresnel lens?

JBLGUY
01-11-2005, 09:53 PM
My buddy seems to think they do something or other. He say's like the TAD's have those little ridges so he uses them too. They do sound good but exactly what they do I'm not sure ???

Mr. Widget
01-11-2005, 10:00 PM
He say's like the TAD's have those little ridges so he uses them too.

???? None of the TADs I have seen have ridges. I would expect the ridges "do something or other" though.

Widget

JBLGUY
01-12-2005, 10:50 AM
:dancin: :rockon1: :band:

See here are the little ridges I was referring to. Yes they are smaller but. My buddie say his do the same thing.....sounds like " black magic "

I have never heard these Tad horns, but as we all know there are folks who would give an organ to own a set.

Way overpriced in my humble opinion......but

They always do well on E-bay

Mr. Widget
01-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I have a pair of those downstairs. They are smooooooth both in texture and sounding. The lines in the picture are from it being machined out of maple plywood. That horn is painfully expensive at about $2500 each. Is it worth it? Is a Ferrari?

Widget

Kwikas
08-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Hey Guys,
First poster here and I need some help.

I'm setting up a large home cinema system (9.1) using three biamped EV Q66 amps to drive the three 3632 screenArrays behind my screen.

I need crossovers. The 3632 ScreenArrays are NOT 3632T types for triamping - they're the 3632 ones for biamping ( LF - MF/HF)....

The crossover therefore needs 3 ins and 6 outs.

I thought a good way to do the crossovers would be utilising the Crown SST-3632 modules. These are going cheap now would be perfect in that they're designed for this. However, they are specifically made for the Crown CH / CL or CE series of amps so I'm not sure whether I can use them on the EV's......perhaps I can - anyone know?

Or I could go with the JBL DSC260 since that has the crossover parameters already built in so that also makes it simple....but they're relatively expensive and I'd need two!!

Or i could go with the DBX Drive Racks but same issue as above - and I don't think they have the crossover parameters built in like the JBL processor either.

I was thinking about using some QSC DSP-4 or DSP-3 modules but they are also expensive and again I'd need more than one.

Does anyone have some thoughts on how I might best proceed?

Your help is appreciated.

Kwikas
08-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey Guys,
First poster here and I need some help.

I'm setting up a large home cinema system (9.1) using three biamped EV Q66 amps to drive the three 3632 ScreenArrays behind my screen.

I need crossovers. The 3632 ScreenArrays are NOT 3632T types for triamping - they're the 3632 ones for biamping ( LF - MF/HF)....

I thought a good way to do the crossovers would be utilising the Crown SST-3632 modules. These are going cheap now would be perfect in that they're designed for this. However, they are specifically made for the Crown CH / CL or CE series of amps so I'm not sure whether I can use them on the EV's......perhaps I can - anyone know?

Or I could go with the JBL DSC260 since that has the crossover parameters already built in so that also makes it simple....but they're relatively expensive and I'd need two!!

Or perhaps one of the DBX Drive Racks but same issue as above - and I don't think they have the 3632 crossover parameters built in like the JBL processor either.

I was thinking about using some QSC DSP-4 or DSP-3 modules but they are also expensive and again I'd need more than one.

Does anyone have some thoughts on how I might best proceed or how you would do this?

Your help is appreciated.

qxlxp
08-26-2006, 06:40 PM

try a behringer dcx-2496. they are inexpensive, have the 3in/6out you are looking for, give you a bunch of crossover/eq flexibility, and sound fine. if you don't like it and have to ebay it, you won't be out much. the biggest thing i don't like about mine is the blinking level meters.

Kwikas
08-27-2006, 04:59 AM
try a behringer dcx-2496.....

Thanks qxlxp.........I'll look into one of these. It looks like it will suit my needs perfectly.