01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Good thing it's got wheels. Them babies HEAVY

D130 with ferrite magnets?

E130, no?

boputnam
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey, Stephane...

Those are truly beauties. I'd love to hear it! :applaud:

Just a thought - if you're using that amp alongside any others, make sure your transducer polarity is consistent between the amps. Those JBL's are negative, and if you're connected Tip=(+) to Red, that cone will move IN on signal. Since that's a modular 1/4-in, I cannot tell of Tip is going to Red or Black connector.

:rockon1:

lfh
01-10-2005, 01:19 PM
D130 with ferrite magnets?

E130, no?

:hmm:

I would even say E120.

Don McRitchie
01-10-2005, 01:53 PM
They do appear to be 15's as the illustration below of an E120 shows that the magnet diameter pretty much equals the inner rim diameter of the 12" drivers. However, the camera angle is deceiving so that I am not positive. The D130 was available as a ferrite model from around 1979 to 1981 so that it is possible that they are D130h's. The second picture is an illustration of a factory labled D130h.

lfh
01-10-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm not an expert, but AFAIK all stock twins sport a 2x12 setup (Jensen as standard, JBL as option), and at an external width in the 26 in ballpark, a much larger offset would be required to squeeze in 2x15 (if at all possible).

boputnam
01-10-2005, 02:15 PM
However, the camera angle is deceiving... :yes: Yup!

That twin came loaded with 12's - and the E120 slips right in.

I've got one loaded into my Blues Jr. and another in the Motion Sound Pro-145.

And yea, I cross-wired each one! :uhmmmm:

stephane RAME
01-11-2005, 11:07 PM
detail

Oldmics
01-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Recone kit for these guys would be a C8RE120.

These are 12" s gentlemen

Oldmics

sLIVER
07-11-2006, 11:13 AM
I've got K120's in mine. I don't know...way too clean. Wish I could keep the clean when needed, but rip out a bit more beef with a tube screamer.

Any suggestions?

Zilch
07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, you can always....

[Naw, I don't wanna get kicked off the forum.... :p ]

edgewound
07-11-2006, 12:41 PM
I've got K120's in mine. I don't know...way too clean. Wish I could keep the clean when needed, but rip out a bit more beef with a tube screamer.

Any suggestions?

You could try a Danelectro Daddy'O, for a kind of tube overdrive tone, or a Danelectro Fabtone for more of a heavy metal crunch box.

You could also try a straight gain boost to overdrive the front end of the amp while keeping the same tonal flavor, which sounds like what you're after. Sometimes you can find on eBay a Rivera Research and Development Buf pedal that has a great straight gain boost. Has a buffer and effects loop for long cable runs with passive pickups.

There's lotsa stomp-boxes on the market to do what you're looking for. you just have to try them to see if you like them.

boputnam
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey edge...

I've seen Fender guys insert a variable pad between their guitar and the amp input, so they can turn-up those Fender linear taper gain pots to something higher than "1", getting the tubes working hard, but not overdriving the stage gain. Got any idea who makes these?

edgewound
07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey edge...

I've seen Fender guys insert a variable pad between their guitar and the amp input, so they can turn-up those Fender linear taper gain pots to something higher than "1", getting the tubes working hard, but not overdriving the stage gain. Got any idea who makes these?

Sorry Bo....never heard of that one. Only the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 linear powerbooster.

boputnam
07-11-2006, 02:52 PM
THD makes one, but this goes between the amp and the speaker.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

But, I've seen a device that is inserted between the axe and the preamp. Very interesting...

Fred Sanford
07-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Wanna talk heavy? I used to have a Super Twin (180W?) with two E120s. Yikes. No wonder I can still pop my shoulders out of the sockets at will. Still have the E120s, though, in vocal monitors. Never loved them for guitar, but I'd try them again.

Speaking of LOUD and CLEAN and OUCH, I had a Peavey Classic (tweed Twin look-alike, but transistor/tube hybrid) with two Celestion Sidewinders (150W per, really efficient, too). Most painful amp I've ever heard, ever. Traded it for a Gibson Les Paul Custom, nice move.

I also had one of these, not sure if this helps you at all, I remember them being difficult to find a while back:

Rocktron Allan Holdsworth Juice Extractor - A speaker to line level signal attenuator. Takes the speaker output of an amplifier and gives you six line level outputs for driving effects, PAs, mixing boards, tape inputs, etc. Has two pre-set speaker frequency response curve settings (one designed by Allan Holdsworth himself) as well as a three band parametric EQ and Rocktron's famous HUSH II noise reduction circuitry.

Marshall also makes the Power Brake:

http://www.amptone.com/marshallpowerbrake.htm

je