PDA

View Full Version : anybody upgrade the JBL JRX series drivers here?

engineerjoe
02-07-2020, 10:13 AM
I have a pair of the stage JRX 12" monitors. I got them very cheap or I would have passed. They sound lacking in the midrange vocal area IMO. I believe that JBL sets the crossovers higher and uses the woofer to do more work. The horns sound more like super tweets to me.
I believe they have 2412H drivers on the horns? I have read of people swapping them out. I'm just not sure if it would be worth it, fighting the higher built in crossover point, if I'm correct?
I built my own JBL stage monitors years back with 2426 1" drivers and 3110 crossovers. Sitting right besides the JRXs you can clearly hear the mid range excel in my old ones.
So.... does anyone here think the drivers upgrade would help? Maybe a Selenium screw on driver any better? How about a JBL 2408H-2?
I'm tempted to just leave these as is until they fail and upgrade then. I have a feeling the crossovers might need changing also?
I got a spare crossover from a JBL SP212 and it seems to do the same thing to the important vocal mid area no matter what driver I connect to it. I even used a 2450 mounted to a 2380A and it didn't have the mids like normally heard.

short_circutz2
02-11-2020, 05:13 PM
I have a pair of the stage JRX 12" monitors. I got them very cheap or I would have passed. They sound lacking in the midrange vocal area IMO. I believe that JBL sets the crossovers higher and uses the woofer to do more work. The horns sound more like super tweets to me.
I believe they have 2412H drivers on the horns? I have read of people swapping them out. I'm just not sure if it would be worth it, fighting the higher built in crossover point, if I'm correct?
I built my own JBL stage monitors years back with 2426 1" drivers and 3110 crossovers. Sitting right besides the JRXs you can clearly hear the mid range excel in my old ones.
So.... does anyone here think the drivers upgrade would help? Maybe a Selenium screw on driver any better? How about a JBL 2408H-2?
I'm tempted to just leave these as is until they fail and upgrade then. I have a feeling the crossovers might need changing also?
I got a spare crossover from a JBL SP212 and it seems to do the same thing to the important vocal mid area no matter what driver I connect to it. I even used a 2450 mounted to a 2380A and it didn't have the mids like normally heard.

I have a pair of the same cabs.

Seeing as my SR4731X arent in use and buried in the back of my storage unit, I had pulled the woofers out of them, so now the JRX cabs have 2206H woofers in them.
I also changed the hf drivers to (gasp) a pair of EV DH2010a drivers out of a couple cabs that were being tossed that I had on hand. I just used the existing crossover.

I hate those 2412 drivers with a passion.They fail easily, and I find that they don't have much for hf extension, and have to be among the worst sounding drivers I've encountered.

Perhaps a 2418 driver would work better.

This is the first version of the JRX speakers that I was working with. Pretty sure the 12 and the hf drivers were changed to different ones in the newer version.