PDA

View Full Version : Specifications of the Urei Horn

rich carnese
01-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know to what frequency the horn of a Urei 809 load it's driver. JBL/Urei crossed over at 1800Hz, but I'd like to try 1200Hz or 1500Hz.I am not using the stock H.F. driver.I've also read that some feel that there is no difference in performance with or without the foam on the horn Thanks!

Robh3606
01-13-2020, 10:40 AM
You are going to have to take a measurement to see. Anyone can claim to know and be completely wrong unless of course they have a measurement to back it up using your driver on that horn. Not likely.

Rob:)

rich carnese
01-16-2020, 02:57 PM
You are going to have to take a measurement to see. Anyone can claim to know and be completely wrong unless of course they have a measurement to back it up using your driver on that horn. Not likely.

Rob:)
I would have to take measurements for the foam on the horn for sure. More importantly, though, I want to know the low end limit to which that horn will load a compression driver.

rusty jefferson
01-17-2020, 09:46 AM
I'm guessing no one has tried this. I have no memory of seeing any threads about making this modification.

Since you've already changed the compression drivers in these it's likely you've lost the benefit of the time alignment network that makes UREIs so coherent. Can I ask why you want to lower the crossover point? Woofer beaming? All the UREIs beam.

It would be difficult to do this with these speakers unless you used an active crossover. In that instance, you could lower the crossover point and use a very steep (48-72db) slope, time align the drivers, and maintain proper phase.

hjames
01-18-2020, 03:29 PM
I have 2 pairs of JBL based UREI 809As in my HT room and I think they are excellent as is ...
Feel free to mod them as you wish - but that will change what they are ...

rich carnese
01-19-2020, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=hjames;427079]I have 2 pairs of JBL based UREI 809As in my HT room and I think they are excellent as is ...
Feel free to mod them as you wish - but that will change what they are ...

I know that I am changing things. I already modified the woofer section which now uses a double roll suspension instead of the half-roll foam. I am only using the woofer to 90hz. Below that I am using 2231a's. I am using active crossovers. I only thought that perhaps the compression driver would simply sound better. I want to cross over at 1500Hz, instead of 1800Hz like they do with the JBL drivers.
Beaming is not a concern as there are no off axis listening positions.