PDA

View Full Version : New guy here. Want a punchy bookshelf or tower. Which one?

45shooter
12-13-2019, 07:36 AM
My 2 channel system now consists of Mcintosh SS amp and pre driving my beloved Klipschorns. I love these speakers and believe they disappear in my room.

Several years ago I demoed some 4430's but the surrounds fell apart during the demo which negated the purchase. I did love the way they sounded tho.

So now I'd just like a 2nd set of speakers and have been recommended the L100 T3 by a audiophile guru. He also recommended some Alons/Nolas tbh.

Ive researched the newer 4367's but alas have a cashflow shortage for them.
The 4429's seem to be avail around but have read mixed reviews on them.

So it seems the L100 T3 may be the one for me but they seem to be quite elusive so far.

What can you guys recommend for a punchy rock speaker just to change things up from my klipschorn sound? Mostly rock music, steely dan, dead, Floyd, stones etc.......Thx!

Mr. Widget
12-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Welcome to Lansing Heritage. Have you considered the new L100 Classic?

Widget

45shooter
12-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Havent ruled out anything yet. Would these be a wiser choice than the vintage L100 T3?

Seems the newer technology wouldn't require any fiddling about with....foams etc

Appreciate the opinions of the longtime members!!!

Mr. Widget
12-13-2019, 01:34 PM
I’m not familiar with that particular vintage JBL, but lots of folks here have experience with it. Maybe one will chime in. Another current speaker to consider would be the new Heresy.

Widget

BMWCCA
12-13-2019, 06:52 PM
You haven't mentioned a budget but, depending on how much power you have, the L7 may give you all the punch you can handle at a price you won't believe!

Of course I've never had the chance to hear the new L100 Classic (are there any JBL dealers left?), but an L100 pair will set you back $4,000 and the L7 maybe one-tenth of that.

45shooter
12-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Im driving the system with the Mcintosh MC152 which I believe is rated at 150 WPC minimum but I understand that it puts out closer to 200.

As far as budget Id rather spend less than more.

I think 4-5k would be tip top for me to comfortably spend on a new speaker setup

Audiobeer
12-13-2019, 10:12 PM
I don’t know if this helps you or not, but to me the L-100s are not in the same league as the 100 T3s. The L7s are good speakers under the radar,

Audiobeer
12-13-2019, 10:14 PM
L-300s would be a consideration for your budget also.

BMWCCA
12-13-2019, 10:19 PM
I don’t know if this helps you or not, but to me the L-100s are not in the same league as the 100 T3s. The L7s are good speakers under the radar,
FWIW:
I don't believe anyone was suggesting the original L100 Century from the '70s, but instead the new L100 Classic just recently introduced.

45shooter
12-15-2019, 09:00 AM
I took the advice as the brand new L100's. But as I climb into the $4K range there are so many speakers to compare to.

and then if I go higher theres the used market of wilsons, focals and golden ear reference towers.....

ugh still confused

but am open to suggestions from this gang of audiophiles!

BMWCCA
12-15-2019, 09:29 AM
I took the advice as the brand new L100's. But as I climb into the $4K range there are so many speakers to compare to.

and then if I go higher theres the used market of wilsons, focals and golden ear reference towers.....
I had read all the praise for the Golden Ear Tritons so one day I ventured into a local shop that actually had them on display (there are no JBL dealers anywhere near me). I believe what I auditioned were the Triton 1s, I do remember a bunch of oval drivers and was told this was top-of-the-line at the time. I wanted to be impressed and this was a controlled listening environment so I'm not sure on what I can blame my disappointment—or rather my lack of excitement—during the audition. They just didn't seem to do anything well and were simply unimpressive. I told the shop owner that they sounded nice and he pressed me as to what I listened to at home. As soon as I said "I have a few JBL systems" he seemed to write me off as a bottom feeder from a big-box store. He never asked me what JBLs I had, nor would he likely have understood had I said "4345". And maybe it's the overwhelming presence that is created by a good 4-way JBL that has just spoiled me for speakers tipping into and beyond the $3,000 price range.

From what others here have said, if I were you and looking in that price range of speakers and had no interest in vintage systems, I'd lean toward the newer JBLs and the Revel Salon 2s. My local dealer only carries the Performa series. Maybe I'll go have a listen.

Ed Kreamer
12-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Greetings 45 from the left coast,

You haven't said what kind of music you mostly listen to, or how loud you like to play it. That is an important consideration. Listening is a very personal thing. You have stated that you have K-horns, and that you like them very much. It would be easy to assume that you prefer the Altec-JBL-Klipsch sound as must of us here do. I would recommend that you consider the 4400 series. They are very neutral. I own 4408's and 4410's and like them very much. I should note here that I am a classical music listener. The 4400 series have a weakness in the tweeter though: the dome is damped by a foam pad which WILL go bad and have to be replaced. Maybe the newer L-7 has that problem fixed. The LSR32, and LSR6332 Studio monitors might be a consideration. They are outstanding. Get them now before they are discovered. The problem of the LSR is the aesthetics, and the very low WAF. they don't work in a scandinavian living room. You might consider the Klipsch Forte?

I might follow up on something BMWACC mentioned. If you do go to an audio salon and audition (one doesn't just listen you know) some of the high priced junque there mention that you have JBL's you will probably get treated to "What? JBL's? and I thought you were a man of class and taste. The door's over there''.

As stated. listening is personal You have to like it.

Have Fun

Ed

45shooter
12-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Thx to all who replied so far...

I like rock music, clean and fairly loud....

lotta good responses so far:):)

DerekTheGreat
12-17-2019, 04:35 AM
Thx to all who replied so far...

I like rock music, clean and fairly loud....

lotta good responses so far:):)

As do I. I'm a laymen compared to the regulars here but I've got a pair of LX44's that I really enjoy. Now, those are certainly far less spendy than other options suggested but for what I paid and their size, they're a damn fine speaker. They're responsible for my downward slope into rekindling my love affair with music and gear. Long story short of it is that I feel they're almost as good as L150A's and better than Klipsch Cornwalls I recently picked up. Now, they tend to exaggerate midbass but with a decent equalizer and a subwoofer to cover the lows, you won't be disappointed. What makes those things shine to me is their ability to sound great at any volume and reproduce nuances & detail that in turn make the music sound life-like, as if the band is performing right in front of you. At lower volumes, that detail is even better. They're very easy on the ears at higher volumes too.

martin_wu99
12-17-2019, 08:51 PM
My 2 channel system now consists of Mcintosh SS amp and pre driving my beloved Klipschorns. I love these speakers and believe they disappear in my room.

Several years ago I demoed some 4430's but the surrounds fell apart during the demo which negated the purchase. I did love the way they sounded tho.

So now I'd just like a 2nd set of speakers and have been recommended the L100 T3 by a audiophile guru. He also recommended some Alons/Nolas tbh.

Ive researched the newer 4367's but alas have a cashflow shortage for them.
The 4429's seem to be avail around but have read mixed reviews on them.

So it seems the L100 T3 may be the one for me but they seem to be quite elusive so far.

What can you guys recommend for a punchy rock speaker just to change things up from my klipschorn sound? Mostly rock music, steely dan, dead, Floyd, stones etc.......Thx!
Foget L100,they don't rock at all,and i think new JBL such as 4365/4367 don't rock neither,go to find some JBL vintage black cone speakers,such as 4425,4430,4344,array 1400........:D

martin_wu99
12-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Very interesting thread:applaud:
Which one is the most punchy bookshelf or tower speaker JBL ever made?

BMWCCA
12-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Very interesting thread:applaud:
Which one is the most punchy bookshelf or tower speaker JBL ever made?

:dont-know:

Not that many JBL towers, at least not that many that are memorable. Bookshelf is a misnomer for most JBLs and I don't know of a normal bookshelf that I would expect to support my L112s or 4412As.

The 250ti and the rest of that series has good punch but then JBL offered a sub to enhance it, so some must not have been happy with the performance without it.

My family asked me not to play the L7s in the upstairs room when they were home because the bass carried throughout the house. I used the L5s with no complaints. Haven't listened to my L7s in a while but I remember how it felt when I first heard them! But that was in comparison to my 030s. And I probably didn't give them all the power they really needed.

SEAWOLF97
12-18-2019, 08:21 AM
:Haven't listened to my L7s in a while but I remember how it felt when I first heard them! But that was in comparison to my 030s. And I probably didn't give them all the power they really needed.

I had L7's and agree with Pill about the sound. They are heavy and I could never get past their fugly looks.
The one JBL that I've sold and regretted was 2 pairs of L-166 Horizons .... very punchy, memorable looks .... sound like an improved L-100. They are generally under $500 and even if they may take a little work, are surely worth it.
IF you want a fine & good looking 3 way-12inch bookshelf .... the real sleeper is the 120Ti.

jblnut
12-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Cheap and punchy ? The JBL 940 from the late 80s
Moderate and punchy? The XPL200 from the early 90's
Expensive and punchy ? The Array 1400 from the mid 2000's

jblnut

Malefoda
12-18-2019, 01:06 PM
Find yourself a pair of 4313B, these are really something if found cheap!

45shooter
12-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Seems like alotta votes for the 4400/43 series. Which Ive always wanted

Theres a pair of 4430s on ebay now near me for 3k....ugh and there not even consecutive serial numbers either. probly just a reseller for profit.

Any love for the newer monitor series of LSR??

jblnut
12-18-2019, 01:23 PM
LSR's are great. Many of us have them on our desks as computer speakers now (I have LSR305s). If I can ever find a good pair of LSR6328p's that haven't been used as jack stands, I will pull the trigger.

The larger 12" 3-ways are very good if you want something larger.

It sounds like you need to go listen to some speakers...

jblnut

45shooter
12-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Yes Sir, listening to some speakers is my crunch as theres not many around to listen to.....

Trying to formulate a short list to go out and demo somewhere somehow and then scoop them up when they show themselves.....

I appreciate all the great ideas tho!

45shooter
12-23-2019, 11:28 AM
alright gents. Ive gone to the dark side. I just picked up a pair of magnepan 3.6r in pristine cond from the orig owner for a fair price. Not quite the jbl sound I was after but different than my khorns just the same.

Down the road ill be looking to change things up I'm sure but for the moment the audio component budget is blown.

Mr. Widget
12-23-2019, 12:34 PM
So you bought a pair of doors... quite a far cry from a bookshelf. :D

Good speakers though. Very different from your Khorns!

Widget

speakerdave
12-23-2019, 02:58 PM
"Punchy". . . hmm. Guess I need to get some new dictionaries.

But . . . I understand. A bargain has led me down a lane more than once.

Ed Kreamer
12-24-2019, 12:42 AM
I am curious about "Punchy". what exactly does it mean? Lots of midbass? quick transients?

45shooter
12-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Somewhere someone said patience is a virtue...….a virtue I don't have.

It seems finding these great JBL's is a full time passion

Down the road Ill get a pair, but for now my new set of doors will have to suffice

HCSGuy
12-26-2019, 10:24 PM
alright gents. Ive gone to the dark side. I just picked up a pair of magnepan 3.6r in pristine cond from the orig owner for a fair price. Not quite the jbl sound I was after but different than my khorns just the same.

Down the road ill be looking to change things up I'm sure but for the moment the audio component budget is blown.

Good on you! Fun choice, and I'm sure you'll love them, until you don't. I held off on posting on your thread, as much of JBL is traditionally like much of Klipsch, so I'm not sure what you'd gain, except a little different flavor. Your Klipschorn's are super punchy, really efficient, and a little shrieky in the highs - descriptions that fit vintage JBL's as well. If you really decide to try a JBL, but want something really different than what you have, try any of the modern Horn loaded, higher end stuff - Array series, S4700, etc. They really turn "Horn" sound on its head, as they are coherent, image well, and aren't very efficient. I would also keep your eyes out for the European Ti series - Ti2k, Ti6k, Ti8k, Ti10k, as I think they have the best direct radiating tweeter JBL ever used (made by Audax), and also image really well. Lastly, while not JBL, you should own a pair of Sonus Faber speakers at one time in your life - I have a pair of Auditor M's and they are probably the best imaging and smoothest sounding speakers I have. Good luck, and have fun. I've always wanted to have a pair of vintage Apogee's, though, like Maggies, they're very room and placement sensitive, so I know it will be hard to get the best out of them. Still want them, though...

hjames
12-27-2019, 02:02 AM

We've owned a couple pairs of older magnepans - My wife says its like swimming in music.

They can be power hungry to get the most out of them - Bryston amps are a good match.
Have fun!

dezmond
12-27-2019, 10:04 AM
L166's for $500 ? Wish that was the case around here. More like $800 if you want a pair without the tweeters pushed in. L150's,240ti's would be a good choice depending if you prefer passive or ported.

vinny
12-27-2019, 10:09 PM
I cannot believe the ripoff price of the new JBL 100 T3. Are you kidding me?
Who runs this modern bogus JBL company. They should be sued for false advertising and fake quality and for price gouging.
I just can't stand these modern BS prices using the past speakers to gouge modern consumers and some of you falling for this trash koolaid made in China modern JBL components garbage.

SEAWOLF97
12-28-2019, 09:43 AM
I HAD a pair of older Maggies .. nice highs & mids, but NO bass. Maybe the newer ones are better ?

couldn't run them w/o a sub , and that still left a hole in the upper bass.

Michael Chavez
01-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Who runs this modern bogus JBL company. They should be sued for false advertising and fake quality and for price gouging.
I just can't stand these modern BS prices using the past speakers to gouge modern consumers and some of you falling for this trash koolaid made in China modern JBL components garbage.
is this post for real or like SNL?
anyway, they're not T3s
the new designation is L100 Classic
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/bookshelf-loudspeakers/L100+CLASSIC.html

Michael Chavez
01-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Foget L100,they don't rock at all
then you're doing something wrong Martin, really wrong

brutal
01-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Rage much?

Sheesh, dude needs to chill TFO.

Besides, you're factually incorrect about the model.

brutal
01-13-2020, 12:30 AM
is this post for real or like SNL?
anyway, they're not T3s
the new designation is L100 Classic
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/bookshelf-loudspeakers/L100+CLASSIC.html

If you have something to say to me regarding my post above, please post it in public instead of sending me a PM.

ARIKIP
01-15-2020, 04:41 PM
I have owned various L series through the 80s/90s and have loved them all. They definitely have the punch you want...especially the L80T/T3 or L100T/T3...but depending on the partnering equipment may get a bit fatiguing at higher volumes. The L5/L7 are better again. The Ti series ie 120/240/250Ti takes refinement to another level ie flat and neutral but can sound punchy with the right music and amplification. Theres of course the XPL series and European Ti series which are great as well. Room positioning also goes a long way to getting the sound you want.

Audiobeer
01-23-2020, 06:55 PM
Havent ruled out anything yet. Would these be a wiser choice than the vintage L100 T3?

Seems the newer technology wouldn't require any fiddling about with....foams etc

Appreciate the opinions of the longtime members!!!

the L100 T3 is one of the best bargains out there. A Mcintosh would be a match made in heaven. Street price $500 - 700.

clwinbe
08-01-2020, 02:23 PM
I found a pair of rotted out L80T for $160. The cabinets are in great shape. After RBH Sound repaired the woofers for me, they are a tremendous little speaker. That 10” gives a really great weight to low frequencies. I own many other similar JBL (L5,3,1,L100T). This pair really sound great with my aging Pioneer VSX-59TXI.

DerekTheGreat
08-25-2020, 03:58 AM
I second (or third) the mention of XPL200 or 200A's. Over the past four or five months I've been trying to get my hands on some vintage-ish speakers to try out. I've purchased and sold Klipsch Forte I and Forte II's but have held onto Klipsch Cornwalls, JBL L150A's and my JBL XPL200's. I cannot say anything bad about the XPL200's. Extremely smooth & detailed along with tight & punchy bass. They don't dig as deep as the L150A's but I've found I don't need that depth with my music and that depth brought on a lack of detail in other regions of the bass. The L150A's are punchy in their own way, but that punch is akin to hitting a nail with a 2lb hammer vs a 5lb hammer- the L150A's are weaker by comparison. I'm so enamored with my XPL200's that I plan on biamping them with an electronic crossover. Haven't pulled the trigger on amps or a preamp yet but already have an Ashly XR1000. They are the best speaker I've heard so far and I didn't have to spend a fortune to obtain them. To do better, I'm sure I would.

Cornwalls are pretty damn good once you get the Crites B-2 crossovers in or ALK crossovers. I went with Crites as they're cheaper and I use them in the garage..

Forte II's > Forte I's by a vast margin. If you have nothing to compare a set of Forte I's to, you'd think they were pretty good, their bass is a bit bloated and slightly punchier than a Forte II's but I found once I got the placement of the II's right, the bass was great- tight but a little too exaggerated in the upper registers. A little more mass on the passive might fix that. However, the mids of the Forte II blow the Forte I away. The Forte I's are honky and sound a bit tinny by comparison. They both have the same tweeter so the highs are virtually identical- smooth. But that's what I didn't like about them, just too smooth and so the fine detail was a bit lacking. I'd still rate the Forte II > Cornwall. Other thing is, if you run a Forte II, be sure your amp is 4 ohm stable. They're rated as 8 ohm systems but they shut down every amp I have except for the Yamaha I've got with a 4 ohm switch/mode.