PDA

View Full Version : 4430 crossover mods

pelly3s
01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
are there any suggested mods for the crossovers in 4430's

Guido
01-05-2005, 02:56 AM
They are perfect!

What you can do is use a choke with lower DCR in the bass section. No change of tuning is necessary. I tried it.

pelly3s
01-05-2005, 06:21 AM
thanks for the input. i run them in biamp most of the time i just was wondering for those times i get bored and want to solder.

4313B
01-05-2005, 09:28 AM
i just was wondering for those times i get bored and want to solder.Bias the capacitors then if you're that bored.

transducergeek
01-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Along this line, anything I can do to a 4425 system to improve that crossover?

Also, I wondered why the woofer on the 4425 has such a deep "dish" cone? Most other JBL woofers are shallower, and so why did they design this one so different, what is the advantage? Is the cone stiffer per weight so lowers the "doubling" distortion? And so still have fast transients? What is the idea? Give me the details...

Thanks, RE

Ian Mackenzie
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
are there any suggested mods for the crossovers in 4430's
Stick a nice looking 2123 sub enclosure on top and bi amp above 300 hertz with a great active crossover. No looking back.

A bit like going from a bar fridge to a double door with internet and ice dispenser!

Ian

scott fitlin
01-05-2005, 12:41 PM
A bit like going from a bar fridge to a double door with internet and ice dispenser!

Ian

I, too, need to have Internet access, even when filling my glass with ice! Thank you, Ian, Ill be searching out a double door fridge with ice dispenser, and Internet! Im thinking Sears Kenmore? Or would JBL prefer Sub-Zero?

:rotfl:

transducergeek
01-05-2005, 07:53 PM

Ian

I, too, need to have Internet access, even when filling my glass with ice! Thank you, Ian, Ill be searching out a double door fridge with ice dispenser, and Internet! Im thinking Sears Kenmore? Or would JBL prefer Sub-Zero?

:rotfl:
Interesting that you are discussing fridges, as I once went crazy a long time ago one day and converted an old broken down GE frost-free into a twin D140 15" bass guitar cabinet on a whim and a dare!
With a Sawzall, a hammer, drill, some plywood, three hours and way too much manic enthusiasm, the door became a tilt out front baffel, (very handy!) and we jammed and laughed all nite! The bass player always said he liked the tone of "the fridge". I wish I had a picture...
I have occasionally considered a whimsical project of that sort again, they are ready made boxes, to be found cost free on street corners, and rather large at that! And they make great conversation starters.... Imagine, two Amana's in each corner of the living room! With big radials on top! RE

Ian Mackenzie
01-06-2005, 03:59 AM
That's how fridge magnets and super conductors were invented.LOL

Ian:cool: