PDA

View Full Version : TAD vs. JBL

RacerXtreme
01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
How do the large format TAD compression drivers compare to the large format JBL's ? Cleaner?? Crisper ??? Do they hold up as well over time?

Thanks

Guy

pelly3s
01-03-2005, 05:36 PM
from my experience i have found that the TADs have a better frequency response, they don't have that harsh 2.5kHz bite that the JBL's tend to have. they are my favorite compression drivers but way out of my price range. i dont know how they last in normal conditions i do know on the road they aren't as durable.

scott fitlin
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
TAD has been covered extensively on this forum!

Yes, TAD compression drivers have a different tonality then their JBL counterparts.

Durability! Well, my buddy uses them in a nightclub, as well as many I know who use them in pro reinforcement concert systems, and they hold up quite well.

RacerXtreme
01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Scott - sorry for asking redundant questions, but I haven't been on this board that long and haven't seen that question asked. I assume you have.....???........ I'm just looking for advice from people that are much more knowledgeable than I with some of this equipment. Real world experience is priceless.

That, and a good ear will go a long way. :)

Guy

Oldmics
01-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi RacerXtreme

As Scott posted we have discussed this extensivly

Start with this thread-has a few pictures

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3071&highlight=tad

This also got pretty intense and was the beginnings of Mr Widgets super quality horn production.If you have not seen Widgets horns-I highly recommend it.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160&highlight=tad

Mr. Widgets horns thread is below

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=695

Happy Motoring

Oldmics

scott fitlin
01-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Scott - sorry for asking redundant questions, but I haven't been on this board that long and haven't seen that question asked. I assume you have.....???........ I'm just looking for advice from people that are much more knowledgeable than I with some of this equipment. Real world experience is priceless.

That, and a good ear will go a long way. :)

GuyI didnt mean any disrespect, I just mean to suggest that searching the forums will turn up ALOT of TAD - vs - JBL information!

TAD is a premium product, and very expensive at that, I own six TAD 4002,s and I actually prefer the sound of my JBL 2441,s!

Set up and run properly both JBL and TAD are outstanding devices, but sound different from each other, its up to the individual to decide for themselves!

:)

RacerXtreme
01-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Why do you prefer the JBL 2441's over the TAD 4002's ?

What type of music do you listen to most often?

Just curious..........

Guy

scott fitlin
01-04-2005, 01:12 PM
I use my `41,s in my business sound system! The TAD 4002 has a more extended response, but isnt as dynamic sounding to me, in the midrange! The jbl has a plucky, crisp sounding midrange, but remains relatively mellow sounding! The JBL is also very dynamic with percussions and snares! Since my 41,s roll off at 7k where the tweeters come in, the VHF response isnt an issue!

The TAD 4002,s sound considerably different, much stronger upper end response, and not as vivid sounding in the mid band!

I bought them, actually originally I wanted the 4001,s but TAD, and some others told me to go with the newer neodymium 4002,s! I had TAD fever, and had to find out WHAT I was missing, and I found out that I had it all the years, JBL is the sound, for me!

What can I say? I prefer the JBL tone!