PDA

View Full Version : the largest subwoofer in the world

RacerXtreme
01-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Check it out:

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm#HORN%20SUBWOOFER

Don't click on anything, just scroll down and look at the pictures.

You won't believe it.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Guy

Donald
01-03-2005, 04:11 PM
This has been covered here before. I was in Italy back in May and had planned to visit this thing. I had a friend call and the guy said to call on the day I wanted to visit. Got busy and totally forgot about it.

Next time for sure!

RacerXtreme
01-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Oops.. I should have known it was posted here before. Haven't been on this site that long so I didn't know for sure.

It is impressive tho. Wish you could have had a chance to listen to it.

That would have been a memorable experience.

Guy

pelly3s
01-03-2005, 06:52 PM
i love that thing... it makes me want to do bad things to my basement.

lfh
01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, we all have our reality-distortion fields... :)

Steve Schell
01-03-2005, 09:15 PM
I have visited the Royal Device site several times in the past. Their coverage of this installation seems more thorough and complete now compared to a couple of years ago. To paraphrase Barry Goldwater, extremism in the pursuit of good sound is no vice!

My only possible reservation with their approach would be the the amount of moving mass they have in all those drivers. In my experience, horn subwoofers with large, heavy cone drivers store a lot of energy and can sound a bit boomy. In the horn subs I have built, a single Altec 515-16G with about 40 grams of moving mass can shake the house at 20Hz. without a hint of strain; I'm not sure it takes so much artillery to get the job done. Maybe it does, though, to get waaaay down to 10Hz.