PDA

View Full Version : Is this JBL L56 authentic?

BuckRegal
09-08-2019, 01:37 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dgG8JAnp6d5bDrBn7

Hi Forum Members,
Can you help me identify if this speaker is a legit JBL? I have suspicions, the crossover looks to have been repaired, the new foam surround looks shoddy, the cabinet does not look like the correct color or wood veneer and the serial number plate does not look like my known original. Original grill does not fit holes on this cab. What do you all think? Do I have a dud here?

The photo album is a google photo album. I wanted to get some good quality pictures for you all.

John

rdgrimes
09-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Looks pretty typical to me. Someone did a DIY repair on the crossover and wire terminals. The surround replacement on the woofer was certainly botched.
Grills did have some production changes from one year to the next, wood vs plastic frames and so forth. I think its probably genuine JBL, but I also think it has little or no value.

BuckRegal
09-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Any thoughts on the low serial number? I’m sure they are not numerical from 000000.

SEAWOLF97
09-08-2019, 05:04 PM
I think its probably genuine JBL, but I also think it has little or no value.

The 118 is so poor (bottoms out easily) that I parted out my single. The 034 tweet has some value (used in other models too).
My son bought a perfect pair and sold them on ..quickly

xover sure does look .. :dont-know:

BuckRegal
09-08-2019, 05:47 PM
The 118 is so poor (bottoms out easily) that I parted out my single. The 034 tweet has some value (used in other models too).
My son bought a perfect pair and sold them on ..quickly

xover sure does look .. :dont-know:

Gentleman, I never asked for any opinion on its value or sonic qualities. :banghead:

BMWCCA
09-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Gentleman, I never asked for any opinion on its value or sonic qualities. :banghead:
So then, why are you concerned with its "authenticity"? You never mentioned how it sounded.

What is the point of your inquiry??

BuckRegal
09-10-2019, 06:30 AM
So then, why are you concerned with its "authenticity"? You never mentioned how it sounded.

What is the point of your inquiry??

The point was to get opinions on why the speaker looks different then all other L56 speakers I’ve seen pictures of. What I’ve gotten so far is that all looks fine and it’s worthless and sounds awful. No comments yet on the question of the low serial number. It seems I’ve come to the wrong place to get answers.

rdgrimes
09-10-2019, 07:39 AM
The point was to get opinions on why the speaker looks different then all other L56 speakers I’ve seen pictures of. What I’ve gotten so far is that all looks fine and it’s worthless and sounds awful. No comments yet on the question of the low serial number. It seems I’ve come to the wrong place to get answers.

Not all of them "look the same", there were minor changes made from year to year, although not very many were ever sold. I can't imagine a world where anyone would think it worthwhile to make and sell "fake" L56 speakers, nor is there any evidence that anyone ever did. What you have there is a unit with more than its fair share of DIY damages. The serial number "is what it is".

You haven't given any reasons as to why you are concerned about it, so people will naturally assume you are either buying or selling. Hence you get comments about value. (It has none)

Earl K
09-10-2019, 07:46 AM

I think your pictures show a legit L56 that someone hacked into ( at the back terminal plate ).

I know many complain about the terminal types that JBL used back then ( & how access is restricted when trying to fit stranded wire into the small receptacle ).
- That may have triggered the reasoning for the apparent modification ( ie; widening the cut-out ).

All JBL cabinets of this vintage have an understated, under-valued valuation ( due to the thicker veneer used back then ).

:)

BMWCCA
09-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Okay. It looks different because someone hacked the input terminal cup, perhaps even replacing it with one from another JBL with a different crossover attached. Regardless, whatever crossover it has has been repaired/modified. The rest looks stock—drivers, cabinet, and baffle label. As to the low serial numbers, well, they had to start somewhere! Do you have a pair of them? Are they roughly sequential in their serial numbers? Not sure what comments you're looking for on the serial number but my guess would be there are some 50 of these with lower numbers than yours. Why that would matter to anyone is beyond me. If you had No.1 that might be more interesting, I suppose. Have fun with it.
:dont-know:

BuckRegal
09-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Okay. It looks different because someone hacked the input terminal cup, perhaps even replacing it with one from another JBL with a different crossover attached. Regardless, whatever crossover it has has been repaired/modified. The rest looks stock—drivers, cabinet, and baffle label. As to the low serial numbers, well, they had to start somewhere! Do you have a pair of them? Are they roughly sequential in their serial numbers? Not sure what comments you're looking for on the serial number but my guess would be there are some 50 of these with lower numbers than yours. Why that would matter to anyone is beyond me. If you had No.1 that might be more interesting, I suppose. Have fun with it.
:dont-know:

Thank you for helping me understand this speaker, I don’t have sequential serial numbers. I bought it and after inspecting it I had some suspicions about how extensively it has been repaired. I guess I should have just straight asked that, my question of authenticity was too vague as to if I’m selling or buying. Glad to see a few members that don’t need to reply with snark and sarcasm. Thanks for the help.

BuckRegal
09-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Not all of them "look the same", there were minor changes made from year to year, although not very many were ever sold. I can't imagine a world where anyone would think it worthwhile to make and sell "fake" L56 speakers, nor is there any evidence that anyone ever did. What you have there is a unit with more than its fair share of DIY damages. The serial number "is what it is".

You haven't given any reasons as to why you are concerned about it, so people will naturally assume you are either buying or selling. Hence you get comments about value. (It has none)

Any reason “why” you use so many “quotes” when replying?

Mr. Widget
09-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Any reason “why” you use so many “quotes” when replying?
Maybe he likes quotes? ;) I wouldn’t make too much of it.

Do you like the speakers? Ultimately that’s how I judge a speaker. I either like ‘em and they’re keepers or they aren’t.

Widget

BuckRegal
09-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Maybe he likes quotes? ;) I wouldn’t make too much of it.

Do you like the speakers? Ultimately that’s how I judge a speaker. I either like ‘em and they’re keepers or they aren’t.

Widget
Haha maybe an English teacher :D I never take anyone’s “advice” on what I should think “sounds” “good”.