PDA

View Full Version : L100's or C51's - Which to sell

Daddyo1935
08-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Hello. I am a new member here and love the information and knowledge that is available here. I have recently acquired 4 pairs of JBL L100's (1 pair Century inline drivers, one Pair Century, and 2 pairs labeled L100) and a pair of JBL C51 Apollo's with cloth grills. The Apollos have the drivers removed but are included. The drivers are LE15a, 375 midrange, and a 075 bullet tweeters. Included is two sets of crossovers for each LX5 and a N7000. My question to you guys is what to do from here. I inherited these items and just cannot decided what set or sets to keep. I know some must go. We have not yet heard any of these speakers yet as they are 600 miles away but are in transit to my location and should arrive any day.

The wife and I enjoy a large range of music types from classical, jazz, country, and rock. Can any one who has had a chance to listen to these speakers have any input on what would be best to keep? I understand this is very subjective but would like to hear the groups input, both positive and negative.

I would like to also mention that the system driving this would consist of the following vintage McIntosh components..
MR67 tuner
MI3 Performance Indicator
C28 Preamp
Pair of MC2105 Power Amplifiers

Included is a MQ101 and MQ102 with 2 pairs of ML-1C's

Looking forward to the feedback. Thank in advance
Steve

carpediem
08-13-2019, 04:07 PM
C51 would be a keeper for me :)

martin_wu99
08-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Hello. I am a new member here and love the information and knowledge that is available here. I have recently acquired 4 pairs of JBL L100's (1 pair Century inline drivers, one Pair Century, and 2 pairs labeled L100) and a pair of JBL C51 Apollo's with cloth grills. The Apollos have the drivers removed but are included. The drivers are LE15a, 375 midrange, and a 075 bullet tweeters. Included is two sets of crossovers for each LX5 and a N7000. My question to you guys is what to do from here. I inherited these items and just cannot decided what set or sets to keep. I know some must go. We have not yet heard any of these speakers yet as they are 600 miles away but are in transit to my location and should arrive any day.

The wife and I enjoy a large range of music types from classical, jazz, country, and rock. Can any one who has had a chance to listen to these speakers have any input on what would be best to keep? I understand this is very subjective but would like to hear the groups input, both positive and negative.

I would like to also mention that the system driving this would consist of the following vintage McIntosh components..
MR67 tuner
MI3 Performance Indicator
C28 Preamp
Pair of MC2105 Power Amplifiers

Included is a MQ101 and MQ102 with 2 pairs of ML-1C's

Looking forward to the feedback. Thank in advance
Steve
C51 is more precious and hard to find:D

BMWCCA
08-14-2019, 06:11 PM
C51 is more precious and hard to find:D

Just flat sounds better, too!

Johnny_Law
08-18-2019, 08:31 AM
I haven't personally heard the exact component load in your C51s, but I've been impressed enough with the 030 load (D130 / 075) to imagine you'll likely like your C51 better than your L100s at least. You might give the two ML-1Cs if driven by both MC-2105s a shot - I really like my ML-2Cs (driven w/ MC7300) and would personally choose them over L100s ... over the C51s probably not but :dont-know:

At the end of the day it's your ears and your house and sounds like a lot of fun! That is all FANTASTIC equipment! Enjoy

martin_wu99
08-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Just flat sounds better, too!
Definitely:D

Daddyo1935
08-19-2019, 07:27 AM
I really appreciate everyone's input so far. Still awaiting delivery. I'll post some pictures when I can. I was informed a pair of Lancer 44 are included. Not sure where I'm going to put all these. Maybe a all vintage JBL 11.2 surround system!:bouncy: