PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to the Paper Cone

SEAWOLF97
06-13-2019, 05:34 PM
https://www.stereophile.com/content/farewell-paper-cone

Mr. Widget
06-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote about his death.;)

Widget

Doctor_Electron
06-14-2019, 03:36 AM
No mention of JBL's contributions to cone technology such as aquaplas, lansaplas.
Lynn Olsen had a very comprehensive article on the pros and cons of just about every transducer type. I'll search for a URL.
Choose your favourite compromises, and enjoy the music,

kmanusa
06-14-2019, 02:33 PM
I didn’t see when that was written but I think it was the 1960s; Fried has been dead for years. Was probably news back then I suppose.

Robh3606
06-15-2019, 05:35 AM
Well that didn't work out! Some of my best sounding drivers use paper cones. Go figure?

Rob:)

kmanusa
06-15-2019, 05:48 AM
Fried was supposed to have been a pretty good salesman; do you think the fact that he was importing IMF speakers back then that used KEF B139s had something to do with the “death” of paper cones? 😊

DavidF
06-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Fried was supposed to have been a pretty good salesman; do you think the fact that he was importing IMF speakers back then that used KEF B139s had something to do with the “death” of paper cones? ��

The published date is shown- Sep 1962. This is before "Bud" was known for his IMF and other manufacturing connections. So, in a way, he was prescient in being ahead of the rush to alternative materials coming the late 60's and well beyond. He was quite wrong in proclaiming the paper cone obsolete. A pattern we see often repeated in the home audio world, eh?

macaroonie
06-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Since I am able to see the future I am happy to tell you that the paper cone will continue for many years to come.
However I am looking forward to seeing Graphene being incorporated in the paper mix .

kmanusa
06-15-2019, 10:46 AM
The published date is shown- Sep 1962. This is before "Bud" was known for his IMF and other manufacturing connections. So, in a way, he was prescient in being ahead of the rush to alternative materials coming the late 60's and well beyond. He was quite wrong in proclaiming the paper cone obsolete. A pattern we see often repeated in the home audio world, eh?

Yep I see now the 1962 date, it was not obvious on my iPhone. Bud was an interesting character on the audio scene. I did enjoy my IMF Monitor speakers from the late 70s although I don’t believe he was affiliated with the loudspeaker brand by then. Boy could they go low, close to 20 Hz!

My Kinergetics subs use five 10 inch woofers per side, all paper cones. They can go pretty low too.

Mr. Widget
06-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Since I am able to see the future I am happy to tell you that the paper cone will continue for many years to come.
However I am looking forward to seeing Graphene being incorporated in the paper mix . Personally I like to say Graphene almost as much is I like to say aerogel!

Widget