PDA

View Full Version : Impedence of 16 0hm LE-85

Alex
01-02-2005, 06:01 AM
Dear all,

I checked the DC resistant of the two LE-85 in my olympus S-7,it appeared one was 11.5 ohm but other was 6.5 ohm, they were original drivers in the olympus and shown they were 16 ohms version.:(

Unfortunately,I received a extra pair 16 ohm LE-85 won from ebay and their DCR measured is 4.7 ohm and 6.1 ohm respectively.:biting: the four drivers' screw red seal were all existed without repaired evidance.

I hope one can tell me if normal 16 ohm LE-85 should shown which value of DCR,I have a pair of 16 ohm 2440 meaured they were 8.2 ohm.

Many thanks for help.

4313B
01-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Once again - we simply do not care what is stamped on the back of any JBL transducer as far as nominal impedance goes. It's irrelevant.

The stock LE85 only has one DCR range regardless of an 8 ohm or 16 ohm label - 5.9 to 7.0 ohms.

The stock 2440 has a DCR range of 7.3 to 8.6 ohms.

Alex
01-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks Kiskard,

So my LE-85 may had been changed the diaphragm by previous owner as 11.5 and 4.7 ohm seens out of range.....

Zilch
01-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I'd be cleaning the terminals on the one that reads 11.5 and re-reading before concluding anything. The low voltage used by a multimeter to measure DCR cannot punch through years of oxidation to measure accurately. You may need a tiny jeweler's file to get the hole clean.

Then, put a clean copper pigtail in the terminal and measure off of that. You need "bite" for it to be accurate. Also, and it seems silly, but make sure it's quiet where you do it. Speakers are also microphones....

If the wax seals are intact and you indeed verify the 4.7 and 11.5 readings, chances are both of those are "problematic."

If you're refurbishing the S7's, you'll want to have new diaphragms installed in the two you actually use. I'd be fixing the "bad" ones for that probably.

Giskard and others will likely have specific replacement diaphragm recommendations for you; you have options....