PDA

View Full Version : 2235 Surround

Vahe Sahakian
05-20-2019, 06:56 PM
This is regarding my DIY 4350.
While reinstalling the four 15" woofers (2235's) I damaged one, somehow I cut a tiny hole in the surround, These woofers were reconed about 6 years ago with original JBL parts.
My question is shall I leave it alone or something needs to be done before I fire up the system

turnitdown
05-20-2019, 07:28 PM
If it's cut all the way through, patch with a touch of silicone. The more surgically-talented, the better.

1audiohack
05-20-2019, 09:36 PM
I have repaired cuts just like that with the Moyen glue supplied with the JBL cone kits. If your careful it literally disappears in that foam. It stays flexible to if used sparingly.

Barry.

JeffW
05-21-2019, 02:23 PM
While reinstalling the four 15" woofers (2235's) I damaged one, somehow I cut a tiny hole in the surround, These woofers were reconed about 6 years ago with original JBL parts.
My question is shall I leave it alone or something needs to be done before I fire up the system

Could be worse, could've hit it with a cut off wheel :applaud:

1audiohack
05-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Could be worse, could've hit it with a cut off wheel :applaud:

HA! Dumb luck caused by me being dumb!!

How are you Jeff?

Barry.

ivica
05-25-2019, 12:18 AM

Hi Vahe..,

I think transparent PVA glue would be OK, such as:
https://reconingspeakers.com/product/white-latex-glue-1-oz-bottle/

regards
ivica

Vahe Sahakian
05-25-2019, 06:55 AM
After careful examination I discovered a second damaged area. The 2235 is now boxed and on its way to SpeakerWorks for a recone job.
In the mean time I learned the hard way that installing a heavy woofer in vertical position is a very difficult affair, lots of supports are needed to hold the darn thing while struggling to install the lower clamps that support the weight.
My DIY 4350 is roughly 35 years old, last month I sent the crossovers (3107) to speakerWorks for recap job.

Kay Pirinha
05-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Hi,

never ever I'd try to install a heavy speaker while the enclosure is in it's upright position. I always lay the box on it's back.

Best regards!

Vahe Sahakian
05-28-2019, 07:57 AM
You are absolutely correct, in my case my enclosure was constructed to have all components in vertical arrangement and if that is not bad enough I used a second layer of particle board to stiffen the 5 cu ft enclosures for each woofer, this all resulted in a massive weight that could not be moved easily.
If I had to do this all over again I would build two separate enclosures one for the low end and one for the upper end.
At any rate I built a wooden support to aid in mounting these woofers in vertical position, actually the most difficult part was re-mounting the 12" 2202's, these mid bass drivers are truly heavy for their size.

DogBox
06-11-2019, 04:06 AM
a very difficult affair, lots of supports are needed to hold the darn thing while..."struggling to install the lower clamps that support the weight...

Hi Vahe,

Is there any reason why you didn't also have 'screws' holding the drivers in? :blink: Trying to hold "any" of the 2235/2202 while everything is vertical is making work for

yourself! Those clamps are fiddly enough without trying to juggle speakers at the same time.. you could have done yourself [even someone helping you as well] a real

injury if one of those things slipped and fell!! :eek:

I think I would be using some 'good screws' top and bottom until you can use both hands to put the clamps on. I'm a bit avert to pain... and a bit of a sook!

Kind Regards,
DogBox
[Steve]

BMWCCA
06-11-2019, 05:04 AM
Is there any reason why you didn't also have 'screws' holding the drivers in?
Because there aren't any holes for screws other than those for the clamps in the original design. I don't attempt to take the 18-inch woofers out of my 4345s until I've laid them on their backs! Then it's easy.

speakerdave
06-11-2019, 07:52 AM
When laying a big heavy speaker like that on its back I place a paperback book under the top edge, so that when it comes time to right it I can get my fingers under it. Salmon Rushdie's Midnight's Children is a good size.