PDA

View Full Version : Question about replacement tweeters.

Johnny
12-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Hello.

Long time reader, first time posting. Great site you all have here !

I have a pair of L100ts I picked up for a great price - Needed a refoam, got that done and all seems to work fine. I have one small gripe with those big boys - I find the tweets a bit to harsh for my ears and am looking for a suitable replacement, hopefully without major xover surgery.

Any ideas ?? I'm otherwise pretty happy with them.

Thanks in advance -

John

4313B
12-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Replace the networks with networks from L100t3's.

Don C
12-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Replace the networks with networks from L100t3's. Schematics

Steve Gonzales
12-31-2004, 05:58 PM
What is your set up? Is there any ability to E.Q.?

Johnny
01-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the info and the diagram. You think that will cure the harshness ?

Steve, I have a few EQs but they're not in use. Not really an EQ fan -

Thanks guys.

J

DavidF
01-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Speaker setup: are you listening in direct axis, i.e. speakers toed-in so that they are directed right at you? If not, directing them outward will put you off axis and may provide some subtle change in response. This may work against positioning for best imaging but try it as a start.

Minor crossover modification: a simple change to the tweeter circuit can add some attenuation to the tweeter response. Attach a 6.0-6.3 ohm resistor in series with a 1.5uF capacitor. Place this circuit between the leads for the tweeter, either at the tweeter connection or the tweeter outputs at the crossover. Using alligator clips makes this an easily reversible trial.

The L100t high end does not taper off as with some designs will does launch a lot of high end energy which will tend to be bright in a generally “live” room.

David F