PDA

View Full Version : Duplicating the UREI "finish"

richardnyc
04-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Hi all, new member but lifetime lover of all things JBL and Altec. Was lusting for years for a pair of UREI monitors and finally pulled the trigger on a nice pair of 811Cs. One small problem - one arrived fairly smashed due to some of the most incompetent packing I've ever seen. I've gotten it back together (kind of) and am at the stage where I'm wondering about paint. I've been through the forums here and have gotten some ideas about paints that would "work well". However, I was hoping to get some insight about how to "nail" the actual look of the UREI finish. Has anybody come close and could share what materials and techniques? Any members who worked in the paint shop in the UREI factory?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Richard

BMWCCA
04-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Welcome!

Got any pics? It might help you get an answer. I recall several different finishes.

Robh3606
04-02-2019, 01:28 PM
It varied a bit over time here is a picture of 809's same vintage as your 811C's Almost looks like they used a paint roller on them as it's a course textured finish.

Rob:)

toddalin
04-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Look at videos on painting bedliners and on splatter/spatter painting.

turnitdown
04-02-2019, 07:45 PM
It looks like the closest you'll get to that finish in 2019 is with Duratex and their foam roller. I buy it by the gallon because it looks good and id SO easy to work with.

richardnyc
04-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Yes, the finish on mine is very similar to the 809s pictured. Seems like consensus is paint (Duratex?) with some form of textured roller or sponge. I guess I'll have to experiment with various combinations. Will report when "experiment" completed.

Thanks,
Richard

richardnyc
04-11-2019, 09:53 AM
toddalin, also looking at Spattering - looks promising...