PDA

View Full Version : Replacing foam in 2421A's

Kay Pirinha
03-31-2019, 02:25 AM
Hi,

out of curiosity I've removed the back of one of my 2421A compression drivers yesterday in the afternoon. What should I say? As expected, I've found the foam in the inside being degenerated, right before falling to dust:

You see the imprints of both leads and two imprints that I did with my fingers to see if the foam would come out again immerdiately. It didn't :crying:.

Now, what should I do? Ist this foam still available from JBL/Harman? Or will any polyurethane foam of appropriate thickness do? Is it even better to replace it by felt?

Best regards!

macsic
03-31-2019, 04:07 AM
I used felt and it was perfect.
They used felt before foam replace it.

Kay Pirinha
03-31-2019, 08:38 AM
Well, as these drivers might be well over 30 years old, and as I had two sheets of 10 mm thick foam laying around, I decided to replace foam by foam. I think the new foam pads might survive me if they last another 30 years :D. This is the procedure:

After I removed the four screws and lifted the back cover, the drivers presented like this:

Then I removed the black and red wires and the terminals. As my flat bed scanner makes scans in true dimensions, which a camera usually doesn't, I scanned the back cover:

I printed the file, glued the print onto cardboard and cut out the black area:

Using this template I drew the contours onto the foam sheets using a sharpie:

Then I cut out the foam pads with sharp scissors:

To be continued...

Kay Pirinha
03-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Removing the old foam goop and cleaning the cap's inside from contact cement turned out to be the most tedious part of the procedure. I used a spatula, a small brass wire brush and lots of ethylic. I decided that the job was done at this state:

I applied new contact cement to either the cap's inside and the foam pads and let it dry for 15 minutes:

During this time I disassembled and cleaned the other driver.

Then I glued the new pad into the cap:

Snug fit, doesn't it ;)?

I reassembled the terminals, the wires and screwed the back to the driver again. Job successfully done!

I apologize to all of you who have done procedures like this one several times and feel bored :crying:.

Best regards!

Earl K
03-31-2019, 09:07 AM
Nice work!

:)

remusr
04-04-2019, 09:33 PM
That foam looks pretty stiff. I think the original is a polyurethane closed-cell foam, usually dark grey/green about 10mm. There is some discussion of open or porous cell vs closed or impermeable. Literature indicates for 1/4-1/2 inch foam of the same pore density (PPI), closed cell attenuates better below 500Hz, both are similar above 500. A higher PPI (Pores Per Inch, linear inch that is) absorbs lower frequencies, acoustical is usually 60+. Internet search expert!

Kay Pirinha
04-05-2019, 01:38 AM
No, this white foam isn't stiff. It's also polyurethane foam, not expanded polystyrene. I can't tell, though, whether it is open or closed cell. Right, it's pore densitity might not be that high as in the original foam, but as I plan to xover at 1 kHz, not lower, I don't mind.

Best regards!

remusr
04-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Closed cell does not absorb water. It is used for patio furniture cushions among other uses that water absorption would not be acceptable.