PDA

View Full Version : Restoring cloth surround to black

glenn
03-30-2019, 06:37 AM
I obtain some 2204 h drivers that had been out in the sun at some time in there life. The surrounds have faded and I would like to make them black again as I would like them to look good in my new project. Is there a treatment that will return the surround back to black? The drivers work fine and would hate to recone them cause they are ugly.
Appreciate the input
Glenn

Robh3606
03-30-2019, 07:24 AM
Hello

Why don't you look into an ink based fix? Artists ink for calligraphy has excellent covering ability just have to be careful as they are obviously water based. Or could use a black marker pen as well also at art supply stores. I once used a heavy black marker to restore faded dust caps on a pair of woofers. It looked a bit too new but it certainly was an improvement.

Rob:)

SEAWOLF97
03-30-2019, 08:52 AM
I've used black liquid shoe polish , has a pad applicator.

RMC
03-30-2019, 02:36 PM
Hi Glenn,

I initially thought about cloth dye up to asking my wife how its actually done (she's pretty good with household type matters). Sounded overly complicated and messy so I buried that one...

The other suggestions given to you here are easier and sure make sense to me.

I think the key to success here is in the careful application, plus whatever coloring used remains flexible so the surround stays the same. The evil is in the details.

Though I still like the idea, I'd be very prudent with the liquid shoe shine thing. I probably wouldn't use the shoe shine bottle directly onto the surround for two reasons: first, the required pressure put on the surround to make the bottle's liquid flow, second, once it starts flowing it tends to get messy sometimes.

On a shoe its relatively easy to spread the excess with the supplied foam, whereas on a cloth surround with ridges its more detail work to make a nice job of even application in my view.

In the middle of the foam applicator there's a small valve button that needs to be pressed when the bottle is up side down to let the liquid flow, more often than not requiring a few push and then too much flows...

Therefore I would suggest using a small brush instead to apply that liquid evenly a little at the time to avoid messy work and soaking the cloth.

TO SEAWOLF: had a good laugh re your new avatar picture, very nice! I guess when that pic was taken your other hand was on a live 240 volts wire, right?

Regards,

Richard

gasfan
03-30-2019, 02:55 PM
permanent black marker with a fat stylus

SEAWOLF97
03-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Though I still like the idea, I'd be very prudent with the liquid shoe shine thing. I probably wouldn't use the shoe shine bottle directly onto the surround for two reasons: first, the required pressure put on the surround to make the bottle's liquid flow, second, once it starts flowing it tends to get messy sometimes.

TO SEAWOLF: had a good laugh re your new avatar picture, very nice! I guess when that pic was taken your other hand was on a live 240 volts wire, right?

Regards,

Richard

my shoe polish has an applicator pad suspended inside down from the cap. Guess you could use a small paintbrush :dont-know:

>> I guess when that pic was taken your other hand was on a live 240 volts wire, right?

Naw we use 110 here. ;)