PDA

View Full Version : Placement of 4430

03-25-2019, 09:56 PM
Hi,

For a square listening room with 250 sq ft in size, I placed 4430 with 10inch away form rear wall and 5.5 feet away each other. Is it too far that's why lack of bass?

thx

300man
12-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Hi,

For a square listening room with 250 sq ft in size, I placed 4430 with 10inch away form rear wall and 5.5 feet away each other. Is it too far that's why lack of bass?

thx

I think there may be several reasons as to why they may " lack bass "

One may be speaker location. In my experience turning down the L - pads, HF and MF helped reveal healthy bass. There is a slotted adjuster on the back of the cabinet that controls the switch that selects internal crossover to external. Moving that back and forth many times can clean the switch and create a better connection to the bass drivers. Bypassing the switch internally is also recommended by some.

I also found that the 4430s will be a bit shy on bass if the amplifier or source is bright.

jblgo
12-25-2019, 11:43 PM
I think there may be several reasons as to why they may " lack bass "

One may be speaker location. In my experience turning down the L - pads, HF and MF helped reveal healthy bass. There is a slotted adjuster on the back of the cabinet that controls the switch that selects internal crossover to external. Moving that back and forth many times can clean the switch and create a better connection to the bass drivers. Bypassing the switch internally is also recommended by some.

I also found that the 4430s will be a bit shy on bass if the amplifier or source is bright.

The 4430 are design to be used in a studio where the bass is re-enforced by the surrounding walls. Without these boundaries they can be bass shy which requires equalization for correction

jblgo

ngccglp
12-28-2019, 03:42 AM
Hi 4344,

I had the 4430 before and all the 43 series one time or another.

It depends on which speakers you are comparing it with when you say ‘bass shy’?

With the Lpads at the optimal position, you are very close to what these speakers are supposed to sound. If it’s not your cup of tea, I suggest changing the speakers.

elsewhere there’s a thread too that describes the lack of mid bass punch and clarity due to crossing the 2235 too high at 1k.

hope this helps. Cheers.