PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 2231a's

andywin
12-31-2004, 07:38 AM
Whats the best approach to take with these 2231a's I've just aquired.
Both obviously requite new surrounds and one has a hole in the cone.
Can I get away with a repair to the one cone and just fit new surrounds?... or will I have to recone. I have no experience of reconing and here in the UK it's not easy to find anyone to do it... or know how competent they are.
Your advice would be appreciated

johnaec
12-31-2004, 08:47 AM
I'd suggest at least trying a refoam and repair first - it'd likely get you by until you decide they need a full recone. The most you'd be out is the cost of the foam and a little time. I'd probably try repairing the hole by gluing, (plain Elmers white glue), a thin piece of cardboard behind the hole - what's to lose? There's a good thread here by Bo on refoaming - a search will turn it up.

John

Robh3606
12-31-2004, 09:13 AM
I think Johns right. I always try the refoam approach first too. You have nothing to loose. If they are reconned you will have to use 2235 kits which are very reasonable at about $120 US.

Rob:)

andywin
01-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks John & Rob.

You've convinced me to repair an re-surround. Do you have any recommendations on the best and most original looking surround kits and where I can purchase online.
I've checked the JBL pricelist here in the UK and a recone kit C8R2235 is £132.99. Thats over $250! :spchless: The JBL prices in the UK are a ripoff and out of principle I will not purchase at that price.:mad:

Many thanks...Andy

transducergeek
01-01-2005, 05:46 PM
I once repaired a torn cone by using a piece of brown paper shopping bag material to glue to the rear of a cone with two layers on top of each other. Waiting for the first layer to set before applying the second. Worked well, matching the weight of the cone, but looked like hell from the rear, never bothered to paint it. It was on a funky non-JBL that I did'nt want to put any $$ into fixing, for a friend in a cash free zone of his life stage..
Also, by the way, I have some personal surplus grey foam generic kit surrounds I would like to sell at a good price to members of this forum. 8,10,12 and 15 inch sizes. I have not done a JBL 15 yet with the "Edges" I have, but the EV and Cerwin Vega's I did worked fine. As you are in the UK, mailing cost would possibly be excessive, but just in case, I would sell the 15 inchers at $15/pair.

Theoretically, if they were to magically appear on my bench, and if I were to do those units for you, only doing the surround replacement, (I have yet to start total reconing) using my, in stock, generic grey foam surrounds, (if they fit) I would charge a member $30 for each woofer, which includes the materials, but you get them to me on your nickel. This is for reference purposes, I don't think you will ship across the world, your iron, silly...
Thanks, and I hope it goes well in bringing those fine JBL's back to life.
Rolf Erickson

Tom Loizeaux
01-02-2005, 11:07 AM
The foam surrounds must be made for the exact speaker size and type. Orange County Speaker repair sells re-foam kits for JBL drivers. Aftermarket surrounds may be OK - while generic surrounds may not be.

Tom

Steve Gonzales
01-09-2005, 11:07 PM
My expert at MB Sound and speaker repair uses a paper that is made for this purpose although you may not need it in your case but it does exist.