PDA

View Full Version : SAM1HF + S2XES Home Theater Combo

shoshaw
03-06-2019, 07:03 AM
Hey Everyone,
Was daydreaming about a new LCR setup for my home theater and the concept of SAM1HF + JBL Pro S2XES seems potentially cool. Does anyone out there have experience with either of these parts? Do you think the setup would work?
Thanks!

pos
03-06-2019, 07:32 AM
You will also need SAM2 LF modules to cover the 80Hz-900Hz range.

Mr. Widget
03-06-2019, 09:19 AM
A friend has three of the SamHF1s with matching twin 8” woofer modules and a pair of Array 1500 subs. These subs use the same driver as the S2S-EX but in a self powered sealed box. The system rocks!

Widget

shoshaw
03-06-2019, 01:11 PM
A friend has three of the SamHF1s with matching twin 8” woofer modules and a pair of Array 1500 subs. These subs use the same driver as the S2S-EX but in a self powered sealed box. The system rocks!

Widget

So how would you compare this system to the M2? I'm curious because I'm guessing the cost would be nearly equivalent.

HCSGuy
03-06-2019, 01:25 PM
I'm sure M2's are awesome - haven't heard them myself. For HT, you would need M2's and still subwoofers, as placement considerations almost always rule out using towers in HT without subwoofers, which may kill your budget. If you look on Audiogon, there's a set of (3) channels of SAM1HF's, SAM2LF's, SAM12X crossovers for them, and two of the older S2 subs, for $5,250. Frankly, you'd be really hard pressed to beat that deal on LCR's. I was considering them for my (under construction) media room until a better looking alternative came along (I don't get to hide anything behind a screen). I think if you did (3) M2's and subwoofers, you'd be way above this price. However, if we're talking retail dollars, you're probably right about them being close, and if you don't have to look at them, I'd probably go with M2's.

Mr. Widget
03-06-2019, 09:45 PM
So how would you compare this system to the M2? I'm curious because I'm guessing the cost would be nearly equivalent.When I heard the M2, the attribute I liked best was the bass. In a home theater, you will definitely want a sub, so the great bass of the M2 won’t be as necessary or pronounced.

Regarding cost, I have no idea how the different breakdowns would work out.

Widget

shoshaw
03-07-2019, 05:35 AM
When I heard the M2, the attribute I liked best was the bass. In a home theater, you will definitely want a sub, so the great bass of the M2 won’t be as necessary or pronounced.

Widget

Found this online:

SAM1HF: $2500 each
SAM2LF: $1500 each

M2 is $6000 each, plus amps.

Still a tough decision...

shoshaw
03-07-2019, 06:39 AM
When I heard the M2, the attribute I liked best was the bass. In a home theater, you will definitely want a sub, so the great bass of the M2 won’t be as necessary or pronounced.

Widget

Forgot to mention regarding subs, I've got subs - no problem. I currently have 2 IB sub manifolds each with dual 18" drivers. Whatever I install will be high-passed around 50Hz with the subs driving everything below.

hlaari
03-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Widget

I am sure at the Array 1500 sub are in vented box;)

Ari

Mr. Widget
03-07-2019, 03:25 PM
I am sure at the Array 1500 sub are in vented box;)

AriAre they? I'll take your word for it.

Widget

hlaari
03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Are they? I'll take your word for it.

Widget

Array 1500 are vented, HB5000 are sealed, both build with plate amplifier and have single W1500H woofer

Ari

HCSGuy
03-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Forgot to mention regarding subs, I've got subs - no problem. I currently have 2 IB sub manifolds each with dual 18" drivers. Whatever I install will be high-passed around 50Hz with the subs driving everything below.

I don't know if there is anyone that has significant experience with both the M2 and the Synthesis2 systems and can give you advice. I have a particular affinity for the Array series - I owned a pair of Array800's for about a year and really loved the mids and really delicate highs and how they imaged - unlike any horn I've heard, and much more "HiFi", which is how I like it. I have also listened to DD66000's, and they didn't have any of those qualities, though they did have impact and slam that the Array's didn't have. Because of my experience with the Arrays, and also my media room being built to show the speakers, I'm purchasing Widget's setup - I know I'll love the sound, and I love the looks of them. If they hadn't become available, the M2's might have been an option, though I can't wrap my mind around spending that much money for a speaker that looks like a big cheap black box - though if my speakers were all hidden behind a screen, I may feel differently. I keep thinking about the Synthesis two array on Audiogon - $5,250 for the front 3 and subs - sell the two subs for $500 each, and you've spend $4,250 for awesome LCR's - that is an unbeatable deal, and I'm sure you could use them for a year or two and still get back the money spent on them. Three M2's plus the required amplifiers is a little expensive for me, especially since I don't have a way to get them at a discount, and would take a bath on them if I didn't like them and resold them. I realize, though, that there is always an appeal to the newest, shiniest thing (I'm buying a new truck right now, after wasting two years waiting for the next new model because maybe they'll have everything I want). If you go with the Syn2 system, you'll always be wondering if the M2's would have been better. Sorry I can't help you with that, though you're welcome to come listen to my system, if I ever finish it...