PDA

View Full Version : 4310 question

sdjblnut
02-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Hi all. Was wondering why JBL built the 4310's with the woofer on top and the highs on the bottom. I'm thinking they wanted them off the ground/higher off the floor to cut down on the boom? Thoughts?

SEAWOLF97
02-28-2019, 02:25 PM
they were meant to sit up on a console/mixing bridge .. so tweets were at ear level.

sdjblnut
02-28-2019, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I read on this site about the console/mixing thing, but I can't understand why they would build them for home use with the components configured that way unless they figured most who bought them were to be recording studios. Of course that wouldn't make good business sense making them a niche thing. Maybe i'm way off base here.

SEAWOLF97
03-01-2019, 09:26 AM
I can't understand why they would build them for home use with the components configured that way unless they figured most who bought them were to be recording studios.

43xx or 44xx series were made and sold by JBL Pro Division, most of those models also have an almost direct Consumer Division equivalent, tho NOT the 4310.

sdjblnut
03-01-2019, 12:38 PM
Thanks for clearing things up for me and that makes perfect sense. When I was looking for a pair of L100's in 2003 the 4310's popped up for $300.00 in nice condition and I jumped on them. I guess I'm a fool for the boom, but maybe being placed higher up the wall might help a bit.

SEAWOLF97
03-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Thanks for clearing things up for me and that makes perfect sense. When I was looking for a pair of L100's in 2003 the 4310's popped up for $300.00 in nice condition and I jumped on them. I guess I'm a fool for the boom, but maybe being placed higher up the wall might help a bit.

when I had a pair, just turned them upside down. Only problem is that it puts the usually scratched up bottom now ontop where it is visible. YMMV.

getting them off the floor helps with the boomey bass issue.

sdjblnut
03-03-2019, 09:53 PM
Believe it or not the bottoms are in good shape (they mostly spent their life in a recording studio before I got them), but to me it would look goofy with the JBL, wording, and numbers upside down.

When you had your 4310's did you ever have thoughts about changing things around a bit like changing the tweet to a slot or a 075 with a slant plate etc. and build new enclosures? Just curious.

SEAWOLF97
03-04-2019, 09:07 AM
When you had your 4310's did you ever have thoughts about changing things around a bit like changing the tweet to a slot or a 075 with a slant plate etc. and build new enclosures? Just curious.

Be it cars or audio or most mechanical gear, I generally trust the manufacturer and don't change things around much.

Caps, different drivers,,etc .... NO , I just don't have the knowledge that the producer did.

Sure, refoams, new grille cloth, binding posts ..things that don't alter much. Additionally , if you resell an item (as I often do) , buyers usually want UNmodified condition.

IF I want a different sound, well I buy a different item. I pickup a lot of gear, sell on the things that don't impress and keep the better stuff.

sdjblnut
03-04-2019, 11:36 AM
I still have that old 70's attitude "if it works, fix it" and make it better? It worked on cars/trucks, but... I didn't know beans about speaker technology, but loved to build nice enclosures using JBL raw frame speakers. I can't believe how much money I spent on speakers and guitars back then! Great advice on leaving them alone.

SEAWOLF97
03-04-2019, 12:05 PM
I still have that old 70's attitude "if it works, fix it" and make it better?

At Intel we had a saying "if it ain't broke, fix it..till it is"

La Mesa, CA ??? As a former Canoe Club member, spent a lot of time in Sandy Eggo. Basic, schools, Coronado, NAS North Island ..etc. (before the bridge, we took the ferry to downtown :) )

martin_wu99
03-04-2019, 06:29 PM
At Intel we had a saying "if it ain't broke, fix it..till it is"

La Mesa, CA ??? As a former Canoe Club member, spent a lot of time in Sandy Eggo. Basic, schools, Coronado, NAS North Island ..etc. (before the bridge, we took the ferry to downtown :) )
"if it ain't broke, fix it..till it is":crying:who said this in Intel?:confused::D

Robh3606
03-04-2019, 07:15 PM
I always thought it was "If it isn't ""ain"t"" broke don't fix it" as in just leave it be?

Rob:)

sdjblnut
03-04-2019, 10:49 PM
SEAWOLF97, You're showing your age. You know that bridge was completed in 1969? LOL

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2019, 08:45 AM
SEAWOLF97, You're showing your age. You know that bridge was completed in 1969? LOL

I remember them building it. we thought the toll (25 cents, one way only..AFAIR) was outrageous and often drove the long way round, through Imperial Beach.
When I was in counterinsurgency training at the Coronado Amphib base, we'd play on the beach ... understand it's hotels now.:crying:

Ah yes, we'd slink into the beach bar at the Hotel Del and try not to look like squids, could only afford 1 beer there ... :eek:

sdjblnut
03-05-2019, 08:16 PM
I remember them building it. we thought the toll (25 cents, one way only..AFAIR) was outrageous and often drove the long way round, through Imperial Beach.
When I was in counterinsurgency training at the Coronado Amfib base, we'd play on the beach ... understand it's hotels now.:crying:

Ah yes, we'd slink into the beach bar at the Hotel Del and try not to look like squids, could only afford 1 beer there ... :eek:

Counterinsurgency training? Sounds a bit like 007. Only one beer? Actually that was about right for your age and income back then, but the girls didn't much care about the money... Good times!

Doctor_Electron
03-13-2019, 02:03 AM
I always thought it was "If it isn't ""ain"t"" broke don't fix it" as in just leave it be?

Rob:)

@ ITT Federal Electric Corp, servicing the Western Test Range:

"If we can't fix it, it ain't broke" LOL

SEAWOLF97
03-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Counterinsurgency training? Sounds a bit like 007.

USA didn't consider Vietnam conflict to be a war, just an insurgency. All USN crews headed "in country" had to have survival and CI training.

Only one beer? Actually that was about right for your age and income back then, ... Good times!

That place was expensive (hangout of the rich & famous) and we didn't get paid much.

sdjblnut
03-25-2019, 07:53 PM
USA didn't consider Vietnam conflict to be a war, just an insurgency. All USN crews headed "in country" had to have survival and CI training.

are

That place was expensive (hangout of the rich & famous) and we didn't get paid much.

When you had your 4310's did you replace the cap's? I've heard that brought up on this forum and just curious what your thoughts are. They were made in 1973, so that makes them only 46 years old. :blink: Thanks,
Frank

SEAWOLF97
03-25-2019, 08:17 PM
When you had your 4310's did you replace the cap's? I've heard that brought up on this forum and just curious what your thoughts are. They were made in 1973, so that makes them only 46 years old. :blink: Thanks,
Frank

Have never replaced caps in any speakers , if they sound good .. I don't disturb them. Also have never seen leaking or bulged ones.