PDA

View Full Version : How to create a »new« 2235H?

Kay Pirinha
02-19-2019, 08:11 AM
Hello,

as I'm new to this board, I'll give you some informations about me first: My first contact with JBL products was a K130 driver, soon followed by a K140, that I've both bought as a pupil in the 1970ies, about 40 years ago. A friend of mine gave me a set of official JBL enclosure plans for their K series, so I built two identical (besides the vents...) musical instrument loudspeaker boxes according to these plans. I still own the K140 one, but the plans appear to have vanished...

A few weeks ago I've been given a pair of TLX-70 home speakers with rotten bass and midrange driver surronds that are waiting to be repaired. But actually I'm planning to built a pair of 4430 clones instead...

This wonderful 2235H bass driver in the 4330 is EOL since many years. So there are just some very few ways to get one as new: Reconing an old 2235H with a genuine C8R2235 from JBL is the official way. I can't souce any, but have heard that there are at least two speakers that could be converted into 2235H's: The 2234 (no surprise) and the 2225. Are there any other 15" drivers that share the same basket and motor, hence could be converted successfully?

As the genuine JBL recone kits definitively can't be called cheap, and as there are aftermarket kits as well, which one of these would recreate the original parameters as near as possible?

Best regards!

gasfan
02-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Hello,

as I'm new to this board, I'll give you some informations about me first: My first contact with JBL products was a K130 driver, soon followed by a K140, that I've both bought as a pupil in the 1970ies, about 40 years ago. A friend of mine gave me a set of official JBL enclosure plans for their K series, so I built two identical (besides the vents...) musical instrument loudspeaker boxes according to these plans. I still own the K140 one, but the plans appear to have vanished...

A few weeks ago I've been given a pair of TLX-70 home speakers with rotten bass and midrange driver surronds that are waiting to be repaired. But actually I'm planning to built a pair of 4430 clones instead...

This wonderful 2235H bass driver in the 4330 is EOL since many years. So there are just some very few ways to get one as new: Reconing an old 2235H with a genuine C8R2235 from JBL is the official way. I can't souce any, but have heard that there are at least two speakers that could be converted into 2235H's: The 2234 (no surprise) and the 2225. Are there any other 15" drivers that share the same basket and motor, hence could be converted successfully?

As the genuine JBL recone kits definitively can't be called cheap, and as there are aftermarket kits as well, which one of these would recreate the original parameters as near as possible?

Best regards!
I think the 2205 is the same basket/motor.

Sootshe
02-19-2019, 08:47 PM
The 2225 can be converted to 2234/5 with a recone kit.
Here’s a link to my build of a similar project as yours.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?40412-2234-Project&highlight=

Kay Pirinha
02-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Thanks a lot to both of you. I appreciate it!

Sootshe, nice work! So you've created 2234H's from these 2225 baskets? The recone kits came pre-assembled, didn't they? How did you remove the mass rings from them?

And would you mind to tell the German guy that built the xover networks for you?

Best regards!

Sootshe
02-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Thanks a lot to both of you. I appreciate it!

Sootshe, nice work! So you've created 2234H's from these 2225 baskets? The recone kits came pre-assembled, didn't they? How did you remove the mass rings from them?

And would you mind to tell the German guy that built the xover networks for you?

Best regards!

So you've created 2234H's from these 2225 baskets?
Yes, simply clean up the old baskets & fit the new recone kits to convert them to 2234/5's.

The recone kits came pre-assembled, didn't they?
Yes, the genuine JBL kits came all preassembled, so you just need to pop the spacer in & fit the complete assembly kit into the frame.

How did you remove the mass rings from them?
The mass rings came as a seperate item with the kit, so you can choose to install them or not. Advice from the experts here relative to my set up was to not fit the mass rings & I have to say that they sound fabulous.

They came from Werner Jagusch - a seller on eBay who's name is Mast Mutter, just do a search on eBay.
I have since built some new crossovers (see attached) from an ALK engineering design & much prefer the sound of these over the original ones.

Good luck with your project & keep us up to date with progress.

speakermaker
11-15-2020, 05:10 AM
Hallo
I have created a pair " new 2235s " with JBL GTI 1500s + 2235 recone kit , without voice coil + long 2226 voice coil and mass ring.

hoschibill
11-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Hallo
I have created a pair " new 2235s " with JBL GTI 1500s + 2235 recone kit , without voice coil + long 2226 voice coil and mass ring.

That is interesting. Did you measure the new chassis? Do you have TSP?