PDA

View Full Version : Preccomend vintage jbl with 12+ inch woofers?

Philv
02-15-2019, 09:18 AM
I have a pair of decade L26 which have just been refoamed,nnew binding posts, which will be recapped soon when i get tne courage up to taking out tne stapled in crossovers.

Really like these alot.

it has made me think of looking out for other vintage jbls.

What vintage jbl would you reccomend, with at least 12 inch woofers?
Something not in tne thiusands of dollars range.

thanks

rdgrimes
02-15-2019, 09:36 AM
L112 is more or less the top of the food chain in the consumer lines of that age. L150A is essentially the same speaker with more real estate.

Any of the studio monitors will be great too, 4312A/B/C, or one of the 4412, if you like the near-field configuration.

If you want to move ahead in time, the L7 is pretty special.

Philv
02-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Just noticed a pair of jbl 240ti just around the corner from me.

Good speakers?
I take it tbey are a different era/sound?

thanks

L112 is more or less the top of the food chain in the consumer lines of that age. L150A is essentially the same speaker with more real estate.

Any of the studio monitors will be great too, 4312A/B/C, or one of the 4412, if you like the near-field configuration.

If you want to move ahead in time, the L7 is pretty special.

rdgrimes
02-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Just noticed a pair of jbl 240ti just around the corner from me.

Good speakers?
I take it tbey are a different era/sound?

thanks

If they are at a reasonable price, I'd grab them. I don't recall anyone not liking them. They are from the 1st generation of titanium tweets.

Titanium Dome
02-15-2019, 11:41 AM
I had two sets of the 240Ti speakers. I enjoyed them, but they never found a long-term place in my over-stuffed collection. I do like the LE14H-1 woofers a lot.

Also had multiple L7 speakers, which hung around for a longer period of time. I liked their mids and highs better. If only it had shipped with a 14” woofer, too!

Interestingly, I still have a pair of L100 Century speakers in regular rotation. They’re the original models with the inline drivers. They’re now worth more than when they were new, which unfortunately is the trend for JBLs from that era.

RD’s suggestion of the 4412 family is good both from a performance and value proposition. If your local pair of 240Ti is priced right for you, they’d be a noticeable upgrade, but, yes, they would not have the classic sound. Listen to them if you can. You may find they’re just right.

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2019, 12:48 PM
I'm quite partial to the 120Ti .... 3 way, 12 incher in teak.
they are undervalued and can sometimes be found at very nice prices.

IMHO .. they are the best of the "bookshelves" in the under $5k JBL line of classics. ;)

Philv
02-15-2019, 04:02 PM
The 240ti are priced around tne L100 mark, so maybe better to go for the L100?
I am also a little concerned about reading of tweeter foam rot. Not fixable?

grumpy
02-15-2019, 04:30 PM
240Ti is more "hi-fi" vs L100... not always what people are looking for when they think vintage JBL.

Not quite up to the 250Ti level with the additional 8" mid/bass driver, but still nice if in good shape...
and more traditional looking (could be a plus or minus).

I like mine just fine... assembled from cabs and drivers (mostly) obtained through forum members :)
I'd say a bump up from the L100T (which I run for HT fronts), at least if used in a larger space.

104H mid can be a pain to locate if they've been replaced. 044Ti can still be found, or repaired if careful.

A lot of 240Ti systems were parted out for their drivers.

rdgrimes
02-15-2019, 08:34 PM
The 240ti are priced around tne L100 mark, so maybe better to go for the L100?
I am also a little concerned about reading of tweeter foam rot. Not fixable?

Foam rots in woofers too. Its ALL fixable. But if this sort of thing puts you off you probably shouldn't be looking at vintage gear. Its part of the game. I'd take the 240ti over an L100 in a heartbeat.

Philv
02-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Foam surrounds i am fine with.
Just finished refoaming jbl L26.

The guy wants 900 usd.
More than i was expecting.

Maybe i should try tne L100, as i like tne L26 and L50 sound.

Foam rots in woofers too. Its ALL fixable. But if this sort of thing puts you off you probably shouldn't be looking at vintage gear. Its part of the game. I'd take the 240ti over an L100 in a heartbeat.

martin_wu99
02-17-2019, 11:20 PM
I had two sets of the 240Ti speakers. I enjoyed them, but they never found a long-term place in my over-stuffed collection. I do like the LE14H-1 woofers a lot.

Also had multiple L7 speakers, which hung around for a longer period of time. I liked their mids and highs better. If only it had shipped with a 14” woofer, too!

Interestingly, I still have a pair of L100 Century speakers in regular rotation. They’re the original models with the inline drivers. They’re now worth more than when they were new, which unfortunately is the trend for JBLs from that era.

RD’s suggestion of the 4412 family is good both from a performance and value proposition. If your local pair of 240Ti is priced right for you, they’d be a noticeable upgrade, but, yes, they would not have the classic sound. Listen to them if you can. You may find they’re just right.
Happy Lunar New Year!
Hi Doug, how are you recently?hope every thing is O.K
Are you going to host Lansing Heritage Forum Annual Party this year?i wish i could come if i have time and money:D

Philv
02-19-2019, 08:00 AM
Are jbl 4412* a good choice?

rdgrimes
02-19-2019, 08:15 AM

Yes

martin_wu99
02-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Yes,but i think 4425 is a better choise which with JBL traditional horn.