PDA

View Full Version : The Whackmaster's P.A.

RacerXtreme
12-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Just got back from the show. Boy was it loud. Ted had 28 hi /mid cabinets way up in the air - ON EACH SIDE - that looked like trapezoidal JBL array speakers ?? ( I think) Not sure which model #'s.... For low end, he used (only) 8 cabinets per side. Didn't look like JBL. Not sure what they were, but I'll find out. Didn't have any markings or identification on them. Hmmm....

Let me tell ya something...... those low end speakers were incredible. We moved around quite a bit so I got to hear the P.A from many different angles.

Best song of the night (IMO) was Fred Bear. By far. Had a "rough" edge to it that made it sound just awesome. One time, only for 15 or 20 seconds in the song, I could really notice that there was no rhythm guitar. Other than that........ well....... let's just say that his guitars were on fire.

The Palace was.........oh, I don't know......about 75 percent full. If it holds 20K, that means about 14 or 15K people. Not bad.....

Excellent show Ted. Nice job.

He played the House of Blues in Chicago last nite. Tomorrow it's on to Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Took a couple shots of the P.A., the stage, and the stacks of Crown amps.
Soon as I resize them a little I'll post them.

see ya

Rock and Roll...........

RacerXtreme
12-30-2004, 08:14 AM
turn it up........

http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/concert7.jpg

RacerXtreme
12-30-2004, 08:16 AM
workin' hard ........ playin' hard.........

http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/concert9.jpg

RacerXtreme
12-30-2004, 08:37 AM
I just want one..... :D

http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/concert8.jpg

pelly3s
12-30-2004, 09:55 PM
it was probably a vertec line array and probably the vertec subs they look a little weird. mmmm gotta love macro techs but the itech blows everything away

scott fitlin
12-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah the I Techs punch out a mean beat! Im gettin me one for some subs!

:D

pelly3s
12-31-2004, 06:53 AM
i've had an 8000 on loan for the past few weeks and it is capable of over 10,000 watts and will play at a 1/4 of an ohm for over 3 hours.

Oldmics
12-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Hey pelly3s

You sound like a guy who knows pro equipment.

Did you measure a 10KW output ?

Specs say 4KW a side @ 4 ohms and with a mono load @ 8 ohms you can get 8KW.

I gotta give these a listen.

Oldmics

pelly3s
12-31-2004, 09:40 AM
i sat on the phone with a tech from crown and also one from martin who was testing it against the digam amps and both gave me the same specs. i know my equipment fairly well. I work for a proaudio company doing anything from concerts to recones. the only downfall to the 8000 is that it doesn't have that growl in the low end when it distorts like the 5000 did, it has more of a digital distortion

RacerXtreme
12-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Where can I find a picture or information about those vertec subs ?

When they were crankin' it was incredible. If you walked past them
they made you wonder whether or not they would knock you down.
The spl was staggering.......

http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/concert5.jpg

Zilch
12-31-2004, 02:49 PM
http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/new_vertec/vt4880.html

Links at top for others....

RacerXtreme
12-31-2004, 05:03 PM
That's NOT what he was using. It had no JBL identification (that I could easily see) and it looked a little different. Similar in size tho. I'll find out for sure what they were. For the size and number of cabinets that were there, the SPL was impressive.

pelly3s
01-01-2005, 12:28 AM
they might have been servo drive bass 7's which are amazing

RacerXtreme
01-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Except for the Servodrive emblem on the front of the cabinet, yeah,
that looks like what he was using. I'll find out for sure. He had
eight per side (16 total) and it sounded like......... 40 per side.

JBLGUY
01-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey Racer

Whats Ted using in his own home for gear and speakers ? I would think he would have a pretty bad ass system for his own use.

How's his Buffalo doing. :eek: Did he bring him over for Christmas ?

Gotta love the Ted :biting:

Just been introducing my own two Son's to him and they think he's a great dude with all his outdoor stuff he's into

So show us a few pics of his home rig.

scott fitlin
01-01-2005, 12:16 PM
i sat on the phone with a tech from crown and also one from martin who was testing it against the digam amps and both gave me the same specs. i know my equipment fairly well. I work for a proaudio company doing anything from concerts to recones. the only downfall to the 8000 is that it doesn't have that growl in the low end when it distorts like the 5000 did, it has more of a digital distortionThe I Techs, as I have said on other forums, doesnt seem to be a rumbly, warm bottom, but man its got that HIT, that PUNCH, it didnt seem to have the grumble way down low, though! But I was impressed with its kick!

I will be trying out an IT4000, against one of my 3600,s, as well as trying a QSC PL 6.0MKII.All on the same day from A to B to C, its the only way to tell, for sure!

Of what I have gathered thus far, there are those who are loving the I techs, and those who still prefer their traditional heavyweight amps! So its the same as it ever was, I just have to see what does what IN MY SYSTEM, ON MY INTENDED SUBS! That will tell ME what I like for my system!

:D

RacerXtreme
01-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, I think his system has changed a lot recently. They found some black mold in their 7 or 8 yr. old house near Jackson, MI, and more or less had to abandon the place. It really made my sister sick. She still has problems because of it. Now they live in Crawford Texas, very close to Pres. Bush on a 280 acre ranch. I haven't been out to see their new place yet so I don't know what he's using, but I think it's all new stuff. Guess I can ask him tho..........

duh...........

They're just getting done w/ some concerts, and looking forward to a rest I think. He's going to go out on tour with Toby Keith in the near future too. 'Been doing a lot of benefit concerts and appearances for the armed forces. They just sat down for dinner recently with the guys that caught Saddam Hussein.

How cool is that?

Did you guys get to see "Surviving Nugent" on T.V. ? It was hilarious. :D

c-ya

Guy

JBLGUY
01-01-2005, 12:31 PM
No I missed that on the tube. :banghead: Too bad I would have watched it. Maybe they will repeat it. I don't watch a lot of TV so I probably miss lots DUH

Sure see if you can find out what Ted got for a system now. I'm hoping it will be outragous. :biting: Just like Ted can be.

Man that guy must travel alot :eek:

Tell him all the Lansing boys said " keep on blasting " :die:

I think Ted supporting your Troops is great. If I were an American I would be disapointed with those who didn't get behind the guys regardless of wether you agree or disagree with this war.

Long live the Buffalo ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

And our American Friends !

RacerXtreme
01-01-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm not much of a hunter (just let me race anything with an engine in it) but I know Ted writes for something like 35 different magazines, columns and publications. It's kinda weird to see him carrying around a laptop.... He's on the board of directors for the NRA too, so he's a pretty busy man.

I know that he's had a ton of JBL equipment over the years. Think JBL even supplied the killer system in his Zebra - stripped Bronco. Ya know what type of amps he had on stage? A bunch of 5150's. The concert a few days ago was excellent and he seemed like he was playing some of his best guitar ever. You would be impressed by the amount of time he spent meeting people after the show. I knew he was tired and it just didn't seem to matter.

Think it's tiime to piss off the neighbors with some really LOUD "Fred Bear". 'Been playing guitar for about 14 years now, but still feel like a beginner.... :banghead: Got a BC Rich "Virgin Bitch" w/ a really cool paint job on it and a Kramer "Baretta" that Ted gave me shortly after he and my sister got married. I was up north with him years ago when he first came up with the familiar guitar lick in Fred Bear so I am especially fond of that song. That guy really meant a lot to him. When he was young, they spent a lot of time together hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. Listen to the words in that song closely and you'll understand.

Got 2 go........

Guy

RacerXtreme
01-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Isn't that look priceless? http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/TEDSHAYNE1.jpg

Tim Rinkerman
01-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Mr Nugent has been a Showco(Showco/Clair Bros.,now) client for years..the system was probably one of their "Prism" systems...all JBL components in their own design cabinets..12"'s,2",and bullets in the hi boxes, and depending on the vintage of the system..usually triple 18's in the subs...

RacerXtreme
01-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey Tim,

those subs were amazing. There weren't that many of them for a stadium of
that size and they were thumpin' LOUD. Triple 18's ???

:applaud: :blink: :D :barf: :bouncy:

Guy

Tim Rinkerman
01-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Showco was one of the first companies to use (can't remember the exact name,but I think it is something like Audua,Audia...) 18"s. They had 2" excursion,double spiders, and realistically soaked up just under 2000 watts below 125hz. Yes, they can move air!

Please excuse me for mentioning the name of another speaker manufacturer in this forum without putting a derogatory expletive after it.

4313B
01-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Please excuse me for mentioning the name of another speaker manufacturer in this forum without putting a derogatory expletive after it.Try as I might, I can't. :crying:

Tim Rinkerman
01-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh, please,please,please,please??????:slink: It's the only brand of speaker I own and would ever buy....

4313B
01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
It's the only brand of speaker I own and would ever buy....What brand??? Say it!!!

Don McRitchie
01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
That would be the Aura 1808. Drew Daniels had a hand in its development.

Tim Rinkerman
01-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Jay Bee Ell, Jay Bee Ell, Jay Bee Ell...you're right! I feel so much better now!

Don,
Thanks for the pic and name correction! We auditioned these 18" when I worked at Snow Sound, very impressive,but couldn't justify replacing all 60 of ours. Not to mention spacing all of our grills out another 1 1/2" !

RacerXtreme
01-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Woah..... Holy Thump Batman.....:banghead:

How much are they ? :biting:

They look.............................................. serious..................:barf:

Do they make 15's ?

Guy :bouncy:

mikebake
01-31-2005, 09:10 PM
That would be the Aura 1808. Drew Daniels had a hand in its development.
That does it; add two drivers to my collection wish list.