PDA

View Full Version : L36 Woofer jumps around as the power is increased

elcamino
01-22-2019, 01:26 PM
I recently refoamed the woofers in my JBL L36. They sound wonderful, until you turn it up. One of the woofers jumps around in and out, while the other is near motionless. The movement is extreme, an half inch or more. It other wise sounds fine, until you turn it up. Did I miss align the cone ? I used a sound generation disc to do the job. Could the speaker have been damaged before I got it from being played without good foam ?

One works great !!!! :crying:

Thanks all

HCSGuy
01-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Is it possible that the spider broke free of the voice coil (or, less likely, the frame) on the one driver? Pull the woofer back out and look through the side while you move the woofer back and forth. The woven spider should be firmly attached at the center to the voice coil (and move back and forth with it), and at the outer edge to the woofer frame. It is also possible that when the foam was shot, someone deformed the spider by pulling out on the woofer excessively, deforming it so that it no longer works as a suspension. Compare two from the side, and watch Ebay for a replacement woofer, unless you're handy and patient enough to rebuild the woofer yourself (I am not).

speakerdave
01-24-2019, 01:54 PM
I would make sure it's a speaker problem and not an amp problem, by interchanging the wires from the amp to the speakers.

script56
01-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Sounds like your amp has dirty volume pot