PDA

View Full Version : My JBL XPL200A's

coshesey
12-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Contemplating selling my babies... The finishes are in great condition, the grills are in tact (and no rips I think), Woofers re foamed, drivers all in great condition, manuals, JBL stands.

What is the going price for a pair?

Paul

Ed Kreamer
12-14-2018, 11:03 AM
WHAT!!! Are you Mad? What in the hell are you thinking???

And Merry Christmas

Ed

Titanium Dome
12-14-2018, 02:35 PM
DOUBLE WHAT?

I was just in SoCal yesterday with my pickup, and I would have given you $100 cash, no questions asked!

Seriously, though, think twice about what you're doing. You might be able to get a nice price for them, but it's unlikely you'll be able to get something better for the $$$ you receive. If you're just selling them for the $$$ and not to replace them, that money will soon be gone and so will your speakers.

Of course, many of us have been in situations where we needed $$$ more than hi-fi gear, so if it's an emergency sale, we're hoping for the best outcome. I can't put a market price on them because I don't think I could ever sell mine.

coshesey
12-14-2018, 10:22 PM
guys, I have had them for 25 years, and loved them. moving up in my HT system and I have always been hampered by my center setup. i have 2 L20t's for centers and they just dont keep up with the xpl's.

i work in the industry and can replace these with B&W or KEF with matching centers and atmos setup.

i have sonus faber for my 2 ch system and have owned some big logans. The XPl 200a is an amazing speaker, just wish i had a center to match.

Paul

martin_wu99
12-15-2018, 04:31 AM
I think XPL series is very popular,in Chinese second hand market, XPL 140 is pricing 4000RMB,XPL 160 pricing 6000 RMB XPL 200A pricing 8000-10000 RMB.
In 2014,this seller ask for 23000RMB for whole series
Simply you can buy a single XPL140 for center.

hjames
12-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Fortunately, the sale would not be in China, it would be in California, the original home of the JBLs -
and they are respected and well rated by those who know.

In truth, Paul, perhaps you need to buy or build something to better match them
if you want to upgrade your centers from the L20T - say, an LC2 or newer center

I think XPL series is not so graet,in Chinese second hand market,

coshesey
12-15-2018, 09:53 PM
unfortunately I only have a little over 9 inches of height for the center... the L20t works, but not much else in the JBL world.

i could piece together something in a different cabinet...

paul

jlyons
12-17-2018, 02:04 AM
Please let me suggest HT4H, Synthesis S3HC, or SAM3HC

12-17-2018, 01:14 PM
The Chinese and other Asians love JBL speakers. I think they are appreciated more there than in the USA. I think it is primarily because of the Asian market that JBL currently makes any high end speakers at all.

coshesey
12-17-2018, 01:57 PM
I could take a set of XPL140's and modify them. Create a new cabinet use the tweeter, mid and two of the woofers with the same dividing network (and some reworking of the crossover), or, Use two of the L20t's woofers with a tweeter and a mid...

Could work and would be much less expensive...

What do you all think?

SEAWOLF97
12-17-2018, 05:08 PM
The Chinese and other Asians love JBL speakers. I think they are appreciated more there than in the USA. I think it is primarily because of the Asian market that JBL currently makes any high end speakers at all.

While what you say is correct, if given a choice ... they''ll pick Boze,
Advent , AR , nearly any (perceived) quality US brand is desired.

They seem to ignore Japan made, even if it's better than the US competitor.

Euro brands are not well known there. Now the whole equation changes if you
switch from talking speakers to electronics.

martin_wu99
12-17-2018, 07:49 PM
You are right,JBL is very popular in China,but not for its hi end speakers,for its applications in many filelds such as cinema,meeting hall,theater,living concert,etc

martin_wu99
12-17-2018, 08:20 PM
While what you say is correct, if given a choice ... they''ll pick Boze,
Advent , AR , nearly any (perceived) quality US brand is desired.

They seem to ignore Japan made, even if it's better than the US competitor.

Euro brands are not well known there. Now the whole equation changes if you
switch from talking speakers to electronics.
Because JBL entered Chinese market so early,say eighties,nearly every audio engineer knows JBL,JBL is well known as its cost/performance,now Bose and Klipsch are very common in China,many cars and computers have Bose and Harman speakers in it,i like Avalon,Wilson audio,Westlake too,but they are too expensive.
We choose JBL not considering whether it is Mexico made,Japan made,or U.S made,we just consider its qulity and price.

martin_wu99
12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
I could take a set of XPL140's and modify them. Create a new cabinet use the tweeter, mid and two of the woofers with the same dividing network (and some reworking of the crossover), or, Use two of the L20t's woofers with a tweeter and a mid...

Could work and would be much less expensive...

What do you all think?
Of course,modified XPL 140 is much better matching your XPL200A.

coshesey
12-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Of XPL140a's - purchased them and now the fun begins...

time to get my EE degree on again and figure out a crossover fix...

Thank everyone for the push, we will see how it all turns out

Paul

martin_wu99
12-19-2018, 02:27 AM
DOUBLE WHAT?

I was just in SoCal yesterday with my pickup, and I would have given you $100 cash, no questions asked!

Seriously, though, think twice about what you're doing. You might be able to get a nice price for them, but it's unlikely you'll be able to get something better for the $$$ you receive. If you're just selling them for the $$$ and not to replace them, that money will soon be gone and so will your speakers.

Of course, many of us have been in situations where we needed $$$ more than hi-fi gear, so if it's an emergency sale, we're hoping for the best outcome. I can't put a market price on them because I don't think I could ever sell mine.
Please see the private message,thanks.

Regards

Martin

speakerdave
12-19-2018, 09:12 AM
The Revel C32 is less than 8.5 inches high. I use it with my LSR 32's for watching movies. You could make the xpl140's your rears.

There's one in cherry now at Audiogon.

martin_wu99
12-19-2018, 06:32 PM
The Revel C32 is less than 8.5 inches high. I use it with my LSR 32's for watching movies. You could make the xpl140's your rears.

There's one in cherry now at Audiogon.
Very good suggestion:applaud:

coshesey
12-20-2018, 12:29 PM
I looked, didn't find any solutions... Any fixes for mid and tweet grill o-rings?

JeffW
12-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Super glue will bond Buna-N o-ring material very well. Buy some bulk o-ring cord (https://www.amazon.com/Buna-N-Ring-Durometer-Thickness-10/dp/B00QVB6QPU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_328_tr_t_2/139-7666727-6977843?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=BTM158PNESY637YH7H7S&th=1) of the diameter needed (link has selection menu for cross section size) and cut/glue to length.

There are standard o-ring sizes, but the ones made from smaller cord don't get very large OD-wise.

https://www.marcorubber.com/o-ring-size-chart-as568.htm

I think the ones behind some of the driver mounting flanges were silicone. You can glue silicone o-ring cord with RTV silicone - it's not super strong, but it'd hold together good enough to get the driver mounted.

Mr. Widget
12-21-2018, 10:11 AM
I think the ones behind some of the driver mounting flanges were silicone. You can glue silicone o-ring cord with RTV silicone - it's not super strong, but it'd hold together good enough to get the driver mounted.A better glue for silicone rubber is Loctite 414. There is a surface prep you can brush on prior to using the 414 that increases the bond strength. I don't remember the model number, but if you need to glue silicone, contact Loctite tech support and they can give you the part number. These are industrial products and not hardware store items, but you can get them through distributors like RS Hughes.

Widget

coshesey
12-21-2018, 08:55 PM
Those XPL140's I picked up for my project really do sound great! Almost too good to waste on this project - A L M O S T. Going to make a badass center speaker.

coshesey
01-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Does any one buy XPL140a cabinets and grill cloths? Seems a shame to waste...

Paul

Robh3606
01-08-2019, 06:06 PM
JMHO but you should really try to find another alternative. It's a shame to take a rare and perfectly good pair of speakers and gut them. At the very least keep the cabinets until you know for sure the center channel works out so if it doesn't the pair remains intact. Use them for rears and find a center that works with the XPL-200'S

Rob:)

HCSGuy
01-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Does any one buy XPL140a cabinets and grill cloths? Seems a shame to waste...

Paul

Post them in For Sale, with pictures. If anyone's going to buy them, this is the place:) I have a pair of XPL-140's with bad cabinets, I just don't know if I like them enough to do anything to improve them:)

FE3T
04-18-2019, 01:12 PM
XPL 140 used as center channel.

A 2245H in a 226L box has been added together with a minidsp 10x10. for subwoofer and bi amping of the XPL200.

Johnny_Law
04-18-2019, 01:47 PM
:applaud:

Rusnzha
10-15-2021, 07:10 AM
I wanted to make charge coupled crossovers for my XPL140s. I built them according to the XPL140A schematic. I was gonna pull the capacitors and wire the charge couple capacitors in their place. When I got into the JBL crossovers, everything was differnt from the 140A schematic. Different resistor and capacitor values and components in different places to name a few. Maybe they are XPL140s and not 140As? I've looked far and wide for a different schematic and contacted JBL. It's impossable to find any other schematic for this speaker. i've looked around on this site. I'm getting nowhere. I've got a bunch of parts that I can't do anything with if I can't find a good schematic. Any ideas?

Don C
10-16-2021, 09:39 AM
Sorry, as far as I know the schematics for the first versions are not online anywhere. I asked here years ago. Maybe build your own XPL140A crossovers from scratch? It might be better to keep your original crossovers unmodified anyway. I was interested enough back in 2006 to measure the difference and make a graph to show the response. But I only had XPL200 to measure. Looking at the chart, I think that they mainly wanted to lower the crossover between the tweeter and midrange to suppress the midrange's ringing better.

Rusnzha
10-16-2021, 03:56 PM
Thanks for responding. I wondered if these could be some early version. I suppose they are, but there's no way to get any info on these things. I have no problem building the charge coupled portion of the crossover, but I lack the skills to design and build the rest. I'm spinning my wheels right now.

Riley Casey
10-16-2021, 04:51 PM
One possibility would be to remove the existing crossovers and trace out their circuitry and then post the schematic here and ask if someone familiar with charge coupled crossovers to design the required changes. I suspect that by the time you got up to speed on reverse engineering the stock crossovers you might be skilled enough to rework them yourself. It's not terribly complicated with an existing circuit.

... I'm spinning my wheels right now...

Ian Mackenzie
10-16-2021, 05:22 PM
I wanted to make charge coupled crossovers for my XPL140s. I built them according to the XPL140A schematic. I was gonna pull the capacitors and wire the charge couple capacitors in their place. When I got into the JBL crossovers, everything was differnt from the 140A schematic. Different resistor and capacitor values and components in different places to name a few. Maybe they are XPL140s and not 140As? I've looked far and wide for a different schematic and contacted JBL. It's impossable to find any other schematic for this speaker. i've looked around on this site. I'm getting nowhere. I've got a bunch of parts that I can't do anything with if I can't find a good schematic. Any ideas?

Can you post a picture of both sides of the pcb ?

I might be able to confirm which version you have.

Rusnzha
10-17-2021, 12:54 AM
Here are the pics of my crossovers.

I know how to make the charge coupled stuff, but I have a lot to learn about the rest of the circuit. I will build from scratch, I don't want to mess with the original crossovers and more.

Ian Mackenzie
10-17-2021, 08:30 PM
For your clarity,

A note from the designer:

“Should be a label on the back. The XPL should have an HF level switch which goes 0 and + 2. The XPL-A should go 0 and -2. The XPL uses a 095Ti midrange and the XPL-A uses a 093Ti. The midrange would have to be removed to verify.”

GT.

Rusnzha
10-18-2021, 01:06 AM
The switch on the back said +2 and I have the 095 mid so it's definitely an XPL140. This still doesn't tell me much about the crossovers. I want to build them from scratch and keep the original ones intact. I looked at some crossover constructors, but they don't look good for making charge coupled. I have a few things to learn before I can move on this.

Ian Mackenzie
10-18-2021, 07:42 PM
There is no schematic available. However if you read the cap values in the mid and HF you can then work out your charge coupled parts values from there.

Rusnzha
10-18-2021, 10:29 PM
I already have all the charge coupled stuff for the crossover in the schematic. I will attempt to rebuild the newer crossover from scratch with better parts and the inputs charge coupled. I don't want to mess with the originals, I would have to take them completely apart to know what's in there. They are working fine right now, I'm not taking any chances on screwing them up so this is the plan. Thanks for your help with this, it did me good.